Dependency error trying to submit a proposed enhancement to Pharo 5.0 on Smalltalkhub.com

Dependency error trying to submit a proposed enhancement to Pharo 5.0 on Smalltalkhub.com

mbratch

I am trying to push a simple enhancement to Pharo50inbox on smalltalkhub.com. I am running Pharo 5.0 (downloaded within the last month) on Windows 10.

I started from a completely clean image, made my small change (about 5 lines in an existing Pharo 5.0 class), and I followed all of the directions to contribute a proposed fix very carefully. All the steps went smoothly, as expected, until it came time to pull and verify the slice.

Here is a snapshot of my Monticello browser right BEFORE pushing the suggested change slice. What is listed as dirty are the SLICE itself (containing Regex-Core (TheIntegrator.38)) and the package itself, listed separately, as dirty (Regex-Core (TheIntegrator.38)).

As indicated in the instructions, I highlighted the SLICE and did a Save to the `http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/Pharo50Inbox/main` repository. That went smoothly. After clicking save, Monticello showed that the SLICE (with subpackage) and the separately listed package were no longer marked dirty and version had been bumped with my name associated (both now called, "Regex-Core (MarkBratcher.39)").

The dialog that popped up after the save indicated that there is a dependency on `Regex-Core (MarkBratcher.39)` which surprised me a bit, but since I followed the instructions exactly, I wasn't concerned yet...

When I tried to verify, I started with a clean image again (as recommended in the instructions, opened Monticello, opened the Pharo50Inbox repository, found and highlighted my slice, and clicked "Load". Then I got an error that there was a missing dependency on the package: `Regex-Core (MarkBratcher.39)`. I thought that package was integrated as part of the SLICE.

If I followed the linked instructions precisely, what am I missing?

Re: Dependency error trying to submit a proposed enhancement to Pharo 5.0 on Smalltalkhub.com

vonbecmann
Hi mark,
 it seems that your package: Regex-Core-MarkBratcher.39.mcz is not the inbox.
 if you have the package, then you can Copy(button in the monticello browser) it to the inbox, and try again.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

Re: Dependency error trying to submit a proposed enhancement to Pharo 5.0 on Smalltalkhub.com

vonbecmann
i forgot to mention that i used to save my slices locally in a directory, and test the slice with a new image and see if the merge of the slice has no conflicts, to be sure that the monkey will work without problems.
and then i copy the slice to the inbox

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bernardo

Thank you. That's a good idea. I'll try that. I was surprised that it didn't go to the inbox as I thought I set up the repository path properly.

Mark

Sent from TypeApp

On Jun 14, 2016, at 10:00 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

there's something fishy going on. (the dependency wasn't save to the inbox).
in the other hand, the contribution steps could be improved

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:03 PM, Mark Bratcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I have the same error, even if I save the slice to a local repository.

So my steps are:

1) Open a clean Pharo 5.0 image

2) Modify one class#selector in Regex-Core

3) "Accept" the change (it prompts me to enter my name, which I do as MarkBratcher)

4) Open Monticello, and see "*Regex-Core (TheIntegrator.38)" as the only dirty package

5) Click on Slice, select a fogbugz ID, and let it auto-fill

6) Click the checkbox next to "*Regex-Core (TheIntegrator.38)" (the only dirty package listed)

7) Click OK for the Slice dialog

8) Now "*Regex-Core (TheIntegrator.38)" AND "*SLICE-..." (with Regex-Core (TheIntegrator.38) appearing as part of that package) both appear in the left pane of Monticello

9) Select the SLICE package on the left Monticello pane, select the repository on the right pane

10) Save the SLICE package to the repository (click Save). Both the SLICE and Regex-Core versions bump (Regex-Core (TheIntegrator.38) becomes Regex-Core (MarkBratcher.39)) and are no longer dirty. A success dialog pops up with info about the repository save, including a comment that the SLICE has "Regex-Core (MarkBratcher.39)" as a dependency.

11) Exit Pharo

12) Reopen Pharo with a clean image

13) Open Monticello and open the repository that I saved the slice in

14) Click on the SLICE and click "Load"

15) I get the error that it cannot find the dependency on "Regex-Core (MarkBratcher.39)".

I'm not sure why.

On 6/14/2016 9:59 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras wrote:
[...]

the slice has no code, it just a reference to the dependencies (the dirty packages), those dirty packages should be save in the repository(files ended with mcz in your directory)
if you don't have those files in the local repository(directory), theres a bug.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Mark Bratcher <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

i tried your steps locally in a directory with a fake change and i couldnt reproduce the bug,  i got the slice and the dependent package(with the fake change).
please report it, someone with more knowledge should check it.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for trying it. Are you on Windows and Pharo 5.0?

Can you tell me what item you changed? I'd be curious just to try the same thing.

On 6/14/2016 11:04 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras wrote:
[...]

im on debian with
Pharo5.0
Latest update: #50760

i just add a whitespace in the class comment of the class RxParser and then follow your steps, saving the slice locally in a directory.