Deploy causes Helios not to work

Blake McBride-2
Greetings,

Do this:

mkdir MyApp
cd MyApp
amber init
amber serve

All works fine.  Then do:

grunt deploy
amber serve

Now, when you go into Helios and then select class browser, you get:

nil does not understand #fromJson:
   [Abandon] [Debug]

Thanks.

Blake McBride

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Herby Vojčík
It does not break things. You are not supposed to run files created by `amber deploy` in development enviroment. IOW, it creates the artifacts for you, but those should be run in hosting place of its own. If you run them in development env, they for example see helios and can run it, and it then fails. But only because you run it with deployment artifacts, which is not what should be done. In the place where the files are deployed, there is no Helios, so there is also no Helios bug.

In short: do not try to develop after you run `grunt deploy`. It will never work and it will always be so. If you want to develop, you should be in devel mode, eg. run `grunt devel`.

Dňa 7. februára 2015 22:35:28 CET používateľ Blake McBride <[hidden email]> napísal:
[...]

I am not trying to develop.  I am just trying to use the deployed app.  I copied index.html, the.js, and config.js to it's own directory and ran the python server.  Same error.  When the system comes up it asks me legacy or Helios IDE.  I really don't even want the IDE.  Do I need to manually disable the IDE evocation?

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:46:33 PM UTC-6, Herby wrote:
It does not break things. You are not supposed to run files created by `amber deploy` in development enviroment. IOW, it creates the artifacts for you, but those should be run in hosting place of its own. If you run them in development env, they for example see helios and can run it, and it then fails. But only because you run it with deployment artifacts, which is not what should be done. In the place where the files are deployed, there is no Helios, so there is also no Helios bug.

In short: do not try to develop after you run `grunt deploy`. It will never work and it will always be so. If you want to develop, you should be in devel mode, eg. run `grunt devel`.

Dňa 7. februára 2015 22:35:28 CET používateľ Blake McBride <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="evrRnGnwq7YJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">blak...@...> napísal:
You mean "deploy breaks things" is by design?

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:32:38 PM UTC-6, [hidden email] wrote:

That's by design.

Le 7 févr. 2015 22:21, "Blake McBride" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Greetings,

Do this:

mkdir MyApp
cd MyApp
amber init
amber serve

All works fine.  Then do:

grunt deploy
amber serve

Now, when you go into Helios and then select class browser, you get:

nil does not understand #fromJson:
   [Abandon] [Debug]

Thanks.

Blake McBride

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Herby Vojčík

Dňa 7. februára 2015 22:55:10 CET používateľ Blake McBride <[hidden email]> napísal:
> I am not trying to develop.  I am just trying to use the deployed app.
> copied index.html, the.js, and config.js to it's own directory and ran

config.js is not needed. Only index.html and the.us.

> the
> python server.  Same error.  When the system comes up it asks me
> legacy or
> Helios IDE.  I really don't even want the IDE.  Do I need to manually

Then you did something wrong. Are you sure you loaded the page from the python server? I am 100% sure you did either deployed wrong or loaded wrong page. If you only deploy those two files and actually load index.html from there, the page won't ask you for IDEs. If it asked, it must be different page or you deployed more than needed. Deployed app does not start IDE loader dialog (because it is not present).

> disable the IDE evocation?
>

> On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:46:33 PM UTC-6, Herby wrote:
> >
> > It does not break things. You are not supposed to run files created
> by
> > `amber deploy` in development enviroment. IOW, it creates the
> artifacts for
> > you, but those should be run in hosting place of its own. If you run
> them
> > in development env, they for example see helios and can run it, and
> it then
> > fails. But only because you run it with deployment artifacts, which
> is not
> > what should be done. In the place where the files are deployed,
> there is no
> > Helios, so there is also no Helios bug.
> >
> > In short: do not try to develop after you run `grunt deploy`. It
> will
> > never work and it will always be so. If you want to develop, you
> should be
> > in devel mode, eg. run `grunt devel`.
> >
> > Dňa 7. februára 2015 22:35:28 CET používateľ Blake McBride <
> > [hidden email] <javascript:>> napísal:
> >>
> >> You mean "deploy breaks things" is by design?
> >>

> >> On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:32:38 PM UTC-6,
> [hidden email]

> get:

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Hannes Hirzel
See for example instructions here

https://github.com/hhzl/Amber-snapsvg-demo

You do
     grunt deploy

You have to copy index.html and the.js _manually_ to your deployment folder

Then go back

     grunt devel

It seems that there is something idiosyncratic in the process which
makes it hard for you to understand it. Could you elaborate please?

On 2/7/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dňa 7. februára 2015 22:55:10 CET používateľ Blake McBride
> <[hidden email]> napísal:
>> I am not trying to develop.  I am just trying to use the deployed app.
>> copied index.html, the.js, and config.js to it's own directory and ran
>
> config.js is not needed. Only index.html and the.us.
>
>> the
>> python server.  Same error.  When the system comes up it asks me
>> legacy or
>> Helios IDE.  I really don't even want the IDE.  Do I need to manually
>
> Then you did something wrong. Are you sure you loaded the page from the
> python server? I am 100% sure you did either deployed wrong or loaded wrong
> page. If you only deploy those two files and actually load index.html from
> there, the page won't ask you for IDEs. If it asked, it must be different
> page or you deployed more than needed. Deployed app does not start IDE
> loader dialog (because it is not present).
>
>> disable the IDE evocation?
>>

>> On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:46:33 PM UTC-6, Herby wrote:
>> >
>> > It does not break things. You are not supposed to run files created
>> by
>> > `amber deploy` in development enviroment. IOW, it creates the
>> artifacts for
>> > you, but those should be run in hosting place of its own. If you run
>> them
>> > in development env, they for example see helios and can run it, and
>> it then
>> > fails. But only because you run it with deployment artifacts, which
>> is not
>> > what should be done. In the place where the files are deployed,
>> there is no
>> > Helios, so there is also no Helios bug.
>> >
>> > In short: do not try to develop after you run `grunt deploy`. It
>> will
>> > never work and it will always be so. If you want to develop, you
>> should be
>> > in devel mode, eg. run `grunt devel`.
>> >
>> > Dňa 7. februára 2015 22:35:28 CET používateľ Blake McBride <
>> > [hidden email] <javascript:>> napísal:

>> [hidden email]

>> get:

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Blake McBride-2
Okay.  I found the problem.  The problem I reported occurs if you copy (deploy) the config.js file too.

Dňa 7. februára 2015 22:55:10 CET používateľ Blake McBride <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="1Hpp9OJkBYgJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">blak...@...> napísal:

config.js is not needed. Only index.html and <a href="http://the.us" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fthe.us\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHwBjq3g4MTb4Z2Syeu_vvL4mioSw';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fthe.us\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHwBjq3g4MTb4Z2Syeu_vvL4mioSw';return true;">the.us.

> the
> python server.  Same error.  When the system comes up it asks me
> legacy or
> Helios IDE.  I really don't even want the IDE.  Do I need to manually

Then you did something wrong. Are you sure you loaded the page from the python server? I am 100% sure you did either deployed wrong or loaded wrong page. If you only deploy those two files and actually load index.html from there, the page won't ask you for IDEs. If it asked, it must be different page or you deployed more than needed. Deployed app does not start IDE loader dialog (because it is not present).

> disable the IDE evocation?
>

> On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:46:33 PM UTC-6, Herby wrote:
> >
> > It does not break things. You are not supposed to run files created
> by
> > `amber deploy` in development enviroment. IOW, it creates the
> artifacts for
> > you, but those should be run in hosting place of its own. If you run
> them
> > in development env, they for example see helios and can run it, and
> it then
> > fails. But only because you run it with deployment artifacts, which
> is not
> > what should be done. In the place where the files are deployed,
> there is no
> > Helios, so there is also no Helios bug.
> >
> > In short: do not try to develop after you run `grunt deploy`. It
> will
> > never work and it will always be so. If you want to develop, you
> should be
> > in devel mode, eg. run `grunt devel`.
> >
> > Dňa 7. februára 2015 22:35:28 CET používateľ Blake McBride <
> > [hidden email] <javascript:>> napísal:
> >>
> >> You mean "deploy breaks things" is by design?
> >>

> >> On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:32:38 PM UTC-6,
> [hidden email]

> get:

> send

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Herby Vojčík

Dňa 8. februára 2015 5:53:45 CET používateľ Blake McBride <[hidden email]> napísal:
> Okay.  I found the problem.  The problem I reported occurs if you copy
>
> (deploy) the config.js file too.

Yeah, I suspected that. But even then, it should not happen, as config.js should have relative paths, so it should not be able to find the IDE starter dialog in the mapped path, as it does not exist. Deployment should work fine even with config.js. If it does not, it may be a bug.

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Hannes Hirzel
I created
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/issues/1155

On 2/8/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dňa 8. februára 2015 5:53:45 CET používateľ Blake McBride
> <[hidden email]> napísal:
>> Okay.  I found the problem.  The problem I reported occurs if you copy
>>
>> (deploy) the config.js file too.
>
> Yeah, I suspected that. But even then, it should not happen, as config.js
> should have relative paths, so it should not be able to find the IDE starter
> dialog in the mapped path, as it does not exist. Deployment should work fine
> even with config.js. If it does not, it may be a bug.

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Blake McBride-2

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 5:10:44 AM UTC-6, Herby wrote:

Dňa 8. februára 2015 5:53:45 CET používateľ Blake McBride <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="s2PWt9ye218J" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">blak...@...> napísal:
> Okay.  I found the problem.  The problem I reported occurs if you copy
>
> (deploy) the config.js file too.

Yeah, I suspected that. But even then, it should not happen, as config.js should have relative paths, so it should not be able to find the IDE starter dialog in the mapped path, as it does not exist. Deployment should work fine even with config.js. If it does not, it may be a bug.

Yes, I think so.

Thanks.

Blake

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Hannes Hirzel
To have

   index.html
   the.js
   config.js (not needed)

copied to the deployment folder causes no problems.
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/issues/1155

So the issue Blake mentions must have been caused by something else.

On 2/8/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dňa 8. februára 2015 5:53:45 CET používateľ Blake McBride
> <[hidden email]> napísal:
>> Okay.  I found the problem.  The problem I reported occurs if you copy
>>
>> (deploy) the config.js file too.
>
> Yeah, I suspected that. But even then, it should not happen, as config.js
> should have relative paths, so it should not be able to find the IDE starter
> dialog in the mapped path, as it does not exist. Deployment should work fine
> even with config.js. If it does not, it may be a bug.

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Blake McBride-2
It only occurred when I copied config.js too.  I know it isn't required but it causes a problem if it is copied.  Did you try it while coping config.js too?

On 2/8/15, Herby Vojčík <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="_YILUO40K5MJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">he...@...> wrote:

> Dňa 8. februára 2015 5:53:45 CET používateľ Blake McBride
> <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="_YILUO40K5MJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">blak...@...> napísal:
>> Okay.  I found the problem.  The problem I reported occurs if you copy
>>
>> (deploy) the config.js file too.
>
> Yeah, I suspected that. But even then, it should not happen, as config.js
> should have relative paths, so it should not be able to find the IDE starter
> dialog in the mapped path, as it does not exist. Deployment should work fine
> even with config.js. If it does not, it may be a bug.

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Hannes Hirzel
Yes, I tried it with config.js

see https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/issues/1155

So I cannot confirm that this is an issue as I understand your
description. It must have been caused by something else.

I suggest that you try again with a new project and amber init.

On 2/10/15, Blake McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It only occurred when I copied config.js too.  I know it isn't required but
>
> it causes a problem if it is copied.  Did you try it while coping config.js
>
> too?
>

> On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 8:25:17 PM UTC-6, Hannes wrote:
>>
>> To have
>>
>>    index.html
>>    the.js
>>    config.js (not needed)
>>
>> copied to the deployment folder causes no problems.
>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/issues/1155
>>
>> So the issue Blake mentions must have been caused by something else.
>>
>> On 2/8/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email] <javascript:>> wrote:
>> >

>> > Dňa 8. februára 2015 5:53:45 CET používateľ Blake McBride
>> > <[hidden email] <javascript:>> napísal:

>> > Yeah, I suspected that. But even then, it should not happen, as
>> config.js
>> > should have relative paths, so it should not be able to find the IDE
>> starter
>> > dialog in the mapped path, as it does not exist. Deployment should work
>> >
>> fine
>> > even with config.js. If it does not, it may be a bug.

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Herby Vojčík
As I said, if it actually loaded IDE-starter-dialog, which is not present in deploy artifacts, I would say you actually loaded the wrong page (not the one copied to deployment directory, but the one still residing in development directory. Maybe you just ran the python server from wrong dir. Or forgot to change the port. Or something.

It would be great if you retried it and found out that it indeed works and this is not an issue.

H. Hirzel wrote:

> Yes, I tried it with config.js
>
> see https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/issues/1155
>
> So I cannot confirm that this is an issue as I understand your
> description. It must have been caused by something else.
>
> I suggest that you try again with a new project and amber init.
>
> On 2/10/15, Blake McBride<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> It only occurred when I copied config.js too.  I know it isn't required but
>>
>> it causes a problem if it is copied.  Did you try it while coping config.js
>>
>> too?
>>

>> On Mon
day, February 9, 2015 at 8:25:17 PM UTC-6, Hannes wrote:

>>> To have
>>>
>>>     index.html
>>>     the.js
>>>     config.js (not needed)
>>>
>>> copied to the deployment folder causes no problems.
>>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/issues/1155
>>>
>>> So the issue Blake mentions must have been caused by something else.

>>> config.js
>>> starter
>>>>
>>> fine

Re: Deploy causes Helios not to work

Blake McBride-2
I found the problem.  If you run "grunt deploy", run the system in the app directory before deploy, then cp the deployed files to it's own directory and run it there it fails.  The problem is browser cache.  The browser is holding on to the errant run.  If I clear the browser cache before running the correctly copied files, it works fine.

Thanks!

Blake