Deployed XmlPad sample 'crashes' in Help=>about

Deployed XmlPad sample 'crashes' in Help=>about

Chris Uppal-3
This is what happens on my system, with a clean image patched to PL1, i.e.
/not/ created from the latest download.

Start a clean image:
Open the Package Browser.
Select ObjectArts\Samples\MVP\XmlPad\XmlPad.pac
... wait for deployment to finish...
Navigate to  ObjectArts\Samples\MVP\XmlPad
Start XmlPad.exe
Select Help=>about.

A popup appears
    UndefinedObject does not understand #asInteger
And an XmlPad.ERRORS file is written in the directory.

This appears to be essentially the same problem as Ted and others have
reported.  However it happens even though the application has normal top-level
windows, and is only using the high-level MessageBox's public API.  I'm not
sure that OA realise that this can occur in such situations.

    -- chris

Re: Deployed XmlPad sample 'crashes' in Help=>about

Blair McGlashan-4
"Chris Uppal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:4429404a$0$1171$[hidden email]...

> This is what happens on my system, with a clean image patched to PL1, i.e.
> /not/ created from the latest download.
>
> Start a clean image:
> Open the Package Browser.
> Select ObjectArts\Samples\MVP\XmlPad\XmlPad.pac
> ... wait for deployment to finish...
> Navigate to  ObjectArts\Samples\MVP\XmlPad
> Start XmlPad.exe
> Select Help=>about.
>
> A popup appears
>    UndefinedObject does not understand #asInteger
> And an XmlPad.ERRORS file is written in the directory.
>
> This appears to be essentially the same problem as Ted and others have
> reported.  However it happens even though the application has normal
> top-level
> windows, and is only using the high-level MessageBox's public API.  I'm
> not
> sure that OA realise that this can occur in such situations.

Chris, sorry, I'm running a bit behind on postings. Just catching up, and
can reproduce this. It looks like the same problem, but it isn't. In this
case its caused by attempting to set the icon of the about box without
having the resource DLL available. This results in an attempt to set a nil
handle into the MSGBOXPARAMs structure, causing the message not understood
problem. If you copy DolphinDR006.dll into the Xmlpad.exe directory, or put
it somewhere on the path, then it won't happen.

BTW: The issue with the "Bad Arrays" in the dumps that Ted talked about
turns out to be a non-issue. It's purely because the object dumping code has
not caught up with the fact that an empty array will have a zero length body
in Dolphin 6, since all other information is held in the object header. In
fact the object will not have a body, and the pointer from the header is a
null pointer in this case. The code to print out arrays had not been fixed
to account for this, and hence it thinks the array is badly formed. We'll
fix this in the next PL (which will have to be a full install again because
of a few minor VM changes), but it's only really cosmetic, and it only
affects the crash dump. There is nothing sinister about it.

Regards

Blair