Deploying Dolphin Smalltalk applications with Inno Setup

Deploying Dolphin Smalltalk applications with Inno Setup

Jerome Chan
<Ok. I had a brain fart and accidently posted this to
comp.lang.smalltalk.advocacy. Hopefully I was able to cancel the article
in time! Now I'm posting it to where it should go.>

Hi!

I've just discovered Inno Setup and was able to create a self contained
installer executable with just 20 lines of text after reading through
the help file for 30 minutes. I think its a neat piece of software. Its
free and comes with Delphi source code. Here is the URL:
<http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.htm>

My next question is about the dlls. From the professional edition's
documentation I see that I can redistribute

DolphinCR004.dll ?
DolphinVM004.dll (Obviously the Virtual Machine)
DolphinDR004.dll ?
DolphineSureCrypto.dll ?

What does each dll do? Do I have to install all of them?

 From the wikki site I see that I need

msvcirt.dll
msvcp60.dll
msvcrt.dll

Do I have the right to redistribute these as well?

Is there a location where I can download these from? I just copied the
dlls in my system directory. Object Arts provides a RunTime msm package
but I don't know how to access the dlls located within it. There was a
link on the swiki but the zip file pointed to no longer exists.

Here is the text of my configuration. Its so much simpler then the MSI
stuff!!

[Setup]
AppName=Farm Manager
AppVerName=Farm Manager 0.1
DefaultDirName={pf}\Cowhands\Live
DefaultGroupName=Cowhands

[Icons]
Name: "{group}\Live"; Filename: "{app}\FarmManager.exe"; WorkingDir:
"{app}"

[Files]
Sources: "DolphinCR004.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver
Sources: "DolphinVM004.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver
Sources: "DolphinDR004.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
Sources: "DolphinSureCrypto.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
Sources: "msvcirt.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
Sources: "msvcp60.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
Sources: "msvcrt.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
Sources: "FarmManager.exe"; DestDir: "{app}"

Re: Deploying Dolphin Smalltalk applications with Inno Setup

Andy Bower
Jerome,

> I've just discovered Inno Setup and was able to create a self contained
> installer executable with just 20 lines of text after reading through
> the help file for 30 minutes. I think its a neat piece of software. Its
> free and comes with Delphi source code. Here is the URL:
> <http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.htm>
>
> My next question is about the dlls. From the professional edition's
> documentation I see that I can redistribute

Most of this is documented in the downloadable or online at:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/EducationCentre4/htm/distributingyourapplicat
ion.htm

However, for the record, here is some additional info.

> DolphinCR004.dll ?

This is the Dolphin compiler. You only need to distribute this if you
compile ST code at runtime.

> DolphinVM004.dll (Obviously the Virtual Machine)

Yes, you need this, obviously.

> DolphinDR004.dll ?

This contains the Dolphin development resources; mainly icons. If you rely
on any of the icons that are used by the development system then you can
choose to distribute this, although it might be rather better to just
extract the individual icons you want and distribuyte those as separate .ICO
files.

> DolphineSureCrypto.dll ?

This contains some C++ code for the Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA) used by
DolphinSure. If you make use of DolphinSure then you will need to ensure
that this DLL gets placed somewhere on the path of the target machine
(usually \Windows\System).

> msvcirt.dll
> msvcp60.dll
> msvcrt.dll

> Do I have the right to redistribute these as well?

Yes.

These are effectively system DLLs that are present in all but the earliest
versions of Win95. However, Dolphin requires that the DLLs be of a
particular version or later. Since you have installed Dolphin on your
development machine, the DLLs will be present in your \Windows\System
directory at the appropriate version or later. You should build these files
into your installer setup program. It is, however, VERY IMPORTANT that you
set up your installer script to only copy these files if they are of a newer
version compared to the ones that are potentially already on the target
machine. Failure to do this can seriously *ugger up your user's machine.
Most installers have this option.

> Here is the text of my configuration. Its so much simpler then the MSI
> stuff!!
>
> [Setup]
> AppName=Farm Manager
> AppVerName=Farm Manager 0.1
> DefaultDirName={pf}\Cowhands\Live
> DefaultGroupName=Cowhands
>
> [Icons]
> Name: "{group}\Live"; Filename: "{app}\FarmManager.exe"; WorkingDir:
> "{app}"
>
> [Files]
> Sources: "DolphinCR004.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver
> Sources: "DolphinVM004.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver
> Sources: "DolphinDR004.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
> Sources: "DolphinSureCrypto.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
> Sources: "msvcirt.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
> Sources: "msvcp60.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
> Sources: "msvcrt.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"
> Sources: "FarmManager.exe"; DestDir: "{app}"

Actually, if you have an MSI install builder this isn't really simpler. All
you'd need to do with that would be to include:

FarmManager.EXE
DolphinSmalltalkRuntime.MSM
MSVCRT.MSM
MSVCIRT.MSM

Best Regards

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com/Support.htm

Not all Addictions are Bad for you
http://www.object-arts.com/Addiction.htm

Re: Deploying Dolphin Smalltalk applications with Inno Setup

Jerome Chan
Thanks for the info!