Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

CyrilFerlicot
Hi,

I am migrating some applications from Pharo 4 to Pharo 6. The new
deployment of those applications needs to work on linux with LibC <
2.15. With Pharo 4 there was a special VM[1]. I do not see such VM for
Pharo 6.

How should we manage those distributions?

Thank you in advance.

[1] http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/linux/old-libc/Pharo-VM-linux-oldLibC.zip

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

Holger Freyther

Which OS has such old versions of LibC? Which LSB standard does it support?

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which OS has such old versions of LibC? Which LSB standard does it support?

Hi,

This is RedHat. I don't have the right to give more info than the fact
it is a RedHat with a LibC version < 2.15.
I don't know for the LSB support. I can ask but I will probably not
know before the end of next week.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

Bruce O'Neel-2

Well, our redhat 6.9 systems have 2.12, so, that qualifies.

And yes, we still have RedHat 6, and 6.9 was released only 6 months ago!  It will finish extended support in a mind-blowing 7 more years in 2024.

Redhat 5, still supported for another 3 years till 2020 has glibc 2.5.

cheers

bruce

05 October 2017 11:43 Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Holger Freyther wrote:

> Which OS has such old versions of LibC? Which LSB standard does it support?

Hi,

This is RedHat. I don't have the right to give more info than the fact
it is a RedHat with a LibC version < 2.15.
I don't know for the LSB support. I can ask but I will probably not
know before the end of next week.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

philippeback
CentOS6.9 for one.

Phil

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4. Oct 2017, at 17:39, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am migrating some applications from Pharo 4 to Pharo 6. The new
> deployment of those applications needs to work on linux with LibC <
> 2.15. With Pharo 4 there was a special VM[1]. I do not see such VM for
> Pharo 6.

Which OS has such old versions of LibC? Which LSB standard does it support?

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

Holger Freyther

> On 5. Oct 2017, at 18:08, Bruce O'Neel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,

Hi!

> Well, our redhat 6.9 systems have 2.12, so, that qualifies.
>
> And yes, we still have RedHat 6, and 6.9 was released only 6 months ago!  It will finish extended support in a mind-blowing 7 more years in 2024.
>
> Redhat 5, still supported for another 3 years till 2020 has glibc 2.5.

for a brief moment you really scared me. I thought you referred to RedHat Linux 6 which was released in 1999 but you are referring to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).

As it turns out we have "latest" (as soon as a commit is made to pharo-vm.git) and hand curated "stable" (hand created source tarballs, rebuilt from a git commit of opensmalltalk-vm) for RHEL6 and CentOS 6.

CentOS 6.x:

# Add the repo
$ yum-config-manager --add-repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo

OR (for stable):

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:stable.repo

# Install 32bit packages (with X11 dependency for *-ui or not)

$ yum install pharo6-32-ui.i686 or pharo6-32.i386

# Install 64bit packages

$ yum install pharo6-64-ui.x86_64 pharo6-64.x86_64

On 10/5/17, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> for a brief moment you really scared me. I thought you referred to RedHat
> Linux 6 which was released in 1999 but you are referring to Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
>
> As it turns out we have "latest" (as soon as a commit is made to
> pharo-vm.git) and hand curated "stable" (hand created source tarballs,
> rebuilt from a git commit of opensmalltalk-vm) for RHEL6 and CentOS 6.
>
> CentOS 6.x:
>
> # Add the repo
> $ yum-config-manager --add-repo
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo
>
> OR (for stable):
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:stable.repo
>
> # Install 32bit packages (with X11 dependency for *-ui or not)
>
> $ yum install pharo6-32-ui.i686 or pharo6-32.i386
>
> # Install 64bit packages
>
> $ yum install pharo6-64-ui.x86_64 pharo6-64.x86_64

Thank you.

Your instructions describes the steps for CentOS 6.x. Are they the
exact same steps for RHEL6?

Also, I am trying this on a CentOS 6.0 virtual machine and I get this error :

[centoslive@livecd test]$ yum-config-manager --add-repo
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
Usage: "yum-config-manager [options] [section]

Command line error: no such option: --add-repo
[centoslive@livecd test]$

Is there something else to install before?

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

Holger Freyther

> On 5. Oct 2017, at 22:22, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Your instructions describes the steps for CentOS 6.x. Are they the
> exact same steps for RHEL6?

I don't have a RHEL subscription but I assumed they are similar but
OBS even produces RHEL packages:

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/stable/RHEL_6/

> Also, I am trying this on a CentOS 6.0 virtual machine and I get this error :
>
> [centoslive@livecd test]$ yum-config-manager --add-repo
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
> Usage: "yum-config-manager [options] [section]
>
> Command line error: no such option: --add-repo
> [centoslive@livecd test]$
>

> Is there something else to install before?

Not sure. Even the RHEL documentation mentions --add-repo exists. I assume
you can download the .repo[1] file and put it in the right directory?

holger

[1]
RHEL6:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/stable/RHEL_6/devel:languages:pharo:stable.repo

CentOS6:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/stable/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:stable.repo

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

philippeback
Any developer can get a free RHEL license and a dev account for accessing docs and what not. This includes CVE fixes etc.

CentOS is close but not always the same. e.g. no security fixes are included vs RHEL when updating (even if the flag is accepted).

I am going next week to the RedHat forum in Breda. I would like to find how to get Pharo available on RHEL out of the box.

Phil

Le 05/10/2017 à 16:29, Holger Freyther a écrit :

> I don't have a RHEL subscription but I assumed they are similar but
> OBS even produces RHEL packages:
>
> https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/stable/RHEL_6/
>

> Not sure. Even the RHEL documentation mentions --add-repo exists. I assume
> you can download the .repo[1] file and put it in the right directory?

I tested on a CentOS 6.9 and it worked fine. I'll see next week if it
works fine on RHEL.

Thank you.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

aglynn42
RedHat < 7.0 still uses libc 2.12 as far as I'm aware. Pharo 5 has a downloadable version that works on that OS. OEL with the UEK has an updated libc.

Andrew Glynn
openmastery.org

Which OS has such old versions of LibC? Which LSB standard does it support?
Hi, This is RedHat. I don't have the right to give more info than the fact it is a RedHat with a LibC version < 2.15. I don't know for the LSB support. I can ask but I will probably not know before the end of next week.

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

aglynn42
There's a reason it's referred to by numerous developers as R-HELL.

Andrew Glynn

Le 05/10/2017 à 15:46, Holger Freyther a écrit :

> Hi!
>

> for a brief moment you really scared me. I thought you referred to RedHat Linux 6 which was released in 1999 but you are referring to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
>
> As it turns out we have "latest" (as soon as a commit is made to pharo-vm.git) and hand curated "stable" (hand created source tarballs, rebuilt from a git commit of opensmalltalk-vm) for RHEL6 and CentOS 6.
>
> CentOS 6.x:
>
> # Add the repo
> $ yum-config-manager --add-repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo
>
> OR (for stable):
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:stable.repo
>
> # Install 32bit packages (with X11 dependency for *-ui or not)
>
> $ yum install pharo6-32-ui.i686 or pharo6-32.i386
>
> # Install 64bit packages
>
> $ yum install pharo6-64-ui.x86_64 pharo6-64.x86_64

Hi,

Maybe the instructions for CentOS and RHEL could be added to the linux
download page of pharo.org?

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

kilon.alios
Why use a special Pharo VM when you can use LibC via UFFI from inside the image ? UFFI even offers partial wrapper to LibC. We prefer afterall to move things outside the VM and inside the image as much as we can to offers us a greater deal of flexibility.

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 12:45 PM Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 05/10/2017 à 15:46, Holger Freyther a écrit :

> Hi!
>

> for a brief moment you really scared me. I thought you referred to RedHat Linux 6 which was released in 1999 but you are referring to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
>
> As it turns out we have "latest" (as soon as a commit is made to pharo-vm.git) and hand curated "stable" (hand created source tarballs, rebuilt from a git commit of opensmalltalk-vm) for RHEL6 and CentOS 6.
>
> CentOS 6.x:
>
> # Add the repo
> $ yum-config-manager --add-repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo
>
> OR (for stable):
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:stable.repo
>
> # Install 32bit packages (with X11 dependency for *-ui or not)
>
> $ yum install pharo6-32-ui.i686 or pharo6-32.i386
>
> # Install 64bit packages
>
> $ yum install pharo6-64-ui.x86_64 pharo6-64.x86_64

Hi,

Maybe the instructions for CentOS and RHEL could be added to the linux
download page of pharo.org?

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Deploying on Linux with LibC version < 2.15

philippeback
I would rather qualify Ubuntu as hell when deploying large setups of machines that have to be kept in working order for a long while.

We should give top notch support for RHEL if we want to be relevant in spaces like Hadoop for example as the reference platform is RHEL/CentOS.

Phil