Deploying pier - 32bit or 64bit?

patmaddox
I'm setting up a pier site on a CMS today and need to know whether I should set up a 32 or 64 bit OS.  I'm planning on just following the instructions at http://www.piercms.com/doc/deploy unless someone suggests otherwise.

Pat

Re: Deploying pier - 32bit or 64bit?

patmaddox
setting up a pier site on a VPS rather...

On Jul 11, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> I'm setting up a pier site on a CMS today and need to know whether I should set up a 32 or 64 bit OS.  I'm planning on just following the instructions at http://www.piercms.com/doc/deploy unless someone suggests otherwise.
>
> Pat

Re: Deploying pier - 32bit or 64bit?

Lukas Renggli
On 11 July 2010 19:07, Pat Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm setting up a pier site on a CMS today and need to know whether I should set up a 32 or 64 bit OS.  I'm planning on just following the instructions at http://www.piercms.com/doc/deploy unless someone suggests otherwise.

It doesn't really matter. I am using an 64bit OS for many years now,
but since the the Pharo/Squeak VM does not support 64bit the VMs run
using the Linux 32bit compatibly libraries. The advantage of 64bit is
that the OS and other tools can profit from the 64bit address space.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Jul 11, 2010, at 10:26 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> On 11 July 2010 19:07, Pat Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm setting up a pier site on a CMS today and need to know whether I should set up a 32 or 64 bit OS.  I'm planning on just following the instructions at http://www.piercms.com/doc/deploy unless someone suggests otherwise.
>
> It doesn't really matter. I am using an 64bit OS for many years now,
> but since the the Pharo/Squeak VM does not support 64bit the VMs run
> using the Linux 32bit compatibly libraries. The advantage of 64bit is
> that the OS and other tools can profit from the 64bit address space.

Got it.

Also I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to use the one-click Pier app to run my site, because it uses Seaside 2.8.  So...what should I do instead?  Download Pharo 1.1 (which is insanely fast) and install Pier using metacello?

Pat

Re: Deploying pier - 32bit or 64bit?

Lukas Renggli
> Also I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to use the one-click Pier app to run my site, because it uses Seaside 2.8.  So...what should I do instead?  Download Pharo 1.1 (which is insanely fast) and install Pier using metacello?

The Seaside 3.0rc images contain the latest Magritte and Pier.

    http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0rc.zip

Of course you can also use the Metacello configuration to load the
latest Pier and all its dependencies into your own image. I am sure
that Dale can give you instructions on how to do that (we should add
that to the website too).

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Deploying pier - 32bit or 64bit?

Dale Henrichs

Pat Maddox wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2010, at 10:26 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> On 11 July 2010 19:07, Pat Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm setting up a pier site on a CMS today and need to know whether I should set up a 32 or 64 bit OS.  I'm planning on just following the instructions at http://www.piercms.com/doc/deploy unless someone suggests otherwise.
>> It doesn't really matter. I am using an 64bit OS for many years now,
>> but since the the Pharo/Squeak VM does not support 64bit the VMs run
>> using the Linux 32bit compatibly libraries. The advantage of 64bit is
>> that the OS and other tools can profit from the 64bit address space.
>
> Got it.
>
> Also I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to use the one-click Pier app to run my site, because it uses Seaside 2.8.  So...what should I do instead?  Download Pharo 1.1 (which is insanely fast) and install Pier using metacello?

Pat,

It depends.

If you want to have the full Seaside3.0/Pier environment available in
your image, then I'd say go with Lukas' zip file.

If know what add ns you want to use and you want a minimal/production
install then I'd say you should use Metacello:

   Gofer new
     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
     package: 'ConfigurationOfPier2';
     package: 'ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2';
     load.

then:

   "avoid loading tests"
   (ConfigurationOfPier2 project version: '2.0.6') load: 'Core'.
   "load in the add ons that you want to use"
   ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project version: '2.0.6')
        load: #("list add ons you want").

version 2.0.6 is technically in development but I don't anticipate too
many changes before it is released (any day now:)...

Dale