Deploying

JRW

Deploying

JRW
An absolute newbie (and non-programmer) question.
I have started to play with Squeak then drifted onto Seaside which I like.  However, what I cant figure out quickly are the complexities of deploying a Seaside app.  I see you can deploy to Seaside hosting and I see lots of complex Apache setups but I'm still not sure if its feasible to deploy to a "normal" hosting site.  I have done a few things in PHP and get them running.  Can I send a Squeak/Seaside to my hosting provider and get it working.  Sorry if this is a stupid question but as I beginner I just haven't seen the simple answer yet.

Re: Deploying

Philippe Marschall
2009/6/13 jowen <[hidden email]>:

> An absolute newbie (and non-programmer) question.
> I have started to play with Squeak then drifted onto Seaside which I like.
> However, what I cant figure out quickly are the complexities of deploying a
> Seaside app.  I see you can deploy to Seaside hosting and I see lots of
> complex Apache setups but I'm still not sure if its feasible to deploy to a
> "normal" hosting site.  I have done a few things in PHP and get them
> running.  Can I send a Squeak/Seaside to my hosting provider and get it
> working.  Sorry if this is a stupid question but as I beginner I just
> haven't seen the simple answer yet.

You'll need a hosting plan that gives you shell access and the ability
to manually install whatever software you need (Squeak in your case).
Then you'll somehow upload the image (e.g. over ssh or ftp) login over
ssh and start Squeak. Unfortunately this means you'll have to chose a
higher priced hosting plan.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Deploying

David Mitchell-10
Agree with Philippe's comments.

See also Ramon Leon's blog for info on deploying Squeak behind Apache.
http://onsmalltalk.com/scaling-seaside-more-advanced-load-balancing-and-publishing

Monty Kamath was using it (has since moved to his own page-based
framework) as noted here.
http://trillionth.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/load-balancing-squeak/