Deployment advice

sebastianconcept
Hi guys,

Assuming it's  (>= 0.12.4) what's the advice for deploy you Amber app?

Closure compiler works?

Do we have some automation friendly stuff? something to help this cook or tools have to be made?

thanks!

Re: Deployment advice

Nicolas Petton

Sebastian Sastre writes:

> Do we have some automation friendly stuff? something to help this cook or
> tools have to be made?

It has to be made, but that should be coming into Amber soon :) In the
meantime, you'll have to do it by hand.

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Deployment advice

sebastianconcept
Get it.

Can we write the to-do list of the ideal steps we need to get it done?

What would you now if you have developed the app and you need to deploy this afternoon?

1. commit the package from Helios/legacy
2....
3...
4...
5. upload to server
6. profit

On Friday, May 2, 2014 10:11:41 AM UTC-3, nicolas petton wrote:

Sebastian Sastre writes:

> Do we have some automation friendly stuff? something to help this cook or
> tools have to be made?

It has to be made, but that should be coming into Amber soon :) In the
meantime, you'll have to do it by hand.

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton

Re: Deployment advice

Hannes Hirzel
If it is this afternoon I would just upload the whole project folder
to the web server. This would include the 16MB or so bower_components
directory.

In a second thought I would have a look at the bower_components to
check what is really needed. Seems to be time-consuming....

On 5/2/14, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Get it.
>
> Can we write the to-do list of the ideal steps we need to get it done?
>
> What would *you* now if you have developed the app and you need to deploy*
> this afternoon*?
>
> 1. commit the package from Helios/legacy
> 2....
> 3...
> 4...
> 5. upload to server
> 6. profit
>

> On Friday, May 2, 2014 10:11:41 AM UTC-3, nicolas petton wrote:
>>

>> Sebastian Sastre writes:
>> >
>> > Do we have some automation friendly stuff? something to help this cook
>> or
>> > tools have to be made?
>>
>> It has to be made, but that should be coming into Amber soon :) In the
>> meantime, you'll have to do it by hand.
>>
>> Nico
>> --
>> Nicolas Petton
>> http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Deployment advice

Hannes Hirzel
Or just pull in amber from http://amber-lang.net/

and use an index.html like the one below.

Question: Has http://amber-lang.net/ been upgraded to 0.12.4?
Or how can I find out the version number from
http://amber-lang.net/amber/support/amber.js

No indication.

--Hannes

A sample index.html file which pulls in Amber from http://amber-lang.net/

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
    <title>Amber App</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href='css/style.css' />

    <script type='text/javascript'
src='http://amber-lang.net/amber/support/amber.js'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript'
src='http://amber-lang.net/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    require(
        ["amber/devel"],
        function (smalltalk) {
            smalltalk.defaultAmdNamespace = "amber_core";
            smalltalk.initialize();
        }
    );
    </script>

  </head>

            <button class="huge"
onClick="require('amber_vm/smalltalk').Browser._open()">Open
browser</button>

On 5/2/14, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If it is this afternoon I would just upload the whole project folder
> to the web server. This would include the 16MB or so bower_components
> directory.
>
> In a second thought I would have a look at the bower_components to
> check what is really needed. Seems to be time-consuming....
>
> On 5/2/14, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Get it.
>>
>> Can we write the to-do list of the ideal steps we need to get it done?
>>
>> What would *you* now if you have developed the app and you need to
>> deploy*
>> this afternoon*?
>>
>> 1. commit the package from Helios/legacy
>> 2....
>> 3...
>> 4...
>> 5. upload to server
>> 6. profit

>>> or
>>>
>>> It has to be made, but that should be coming into Amber soon :) In the
>>> meantime, you'll have to do it by hand.
>>>
>>> Nico
>>> --
>>> Nicolas Petton
>>> http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Deployment advice

sebastianconcept
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I didn’t clarify this before, I’m not talking of deploying prototypes or messing arounds or proof of concepts here.

What I need is know know what would do today for a professional product that clients pay money for.

One that should be usable from mobile with 3G for example.

So, again..

1. commit the package from Helios/legacy
2....
3...
4...
5. upload to server
6. profit

If you have something real online to show would be a great plus

Thanks!

Sebastian Sastre writes:

Do we have some automation friendly stuff? something to help this cook
or
tools have to be made?

It has to be made, but that should be coming into Amber soon :) In the
meantime, you'll have to do it by hand.

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Deployment advice

Hannes Hirzel
Sebastian,

so you are talking about an all-in-one-amber.js which is minimized, an
issue we had before and where we still have problems....?

Last year I worked with r.js to string everything together and it
worked at a certain point of time with a certain version of amber.

You mentioned repeatedly that you did a manual concat of all the amber
files and it worked quite well. Is it possible to automate this?

--Hannes

On 5/2/14, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Sorry I didn't clarify this before, I'm not talking of deploying prototypes
> or messing arounds or proof of concepts here.
>
> What I need is know know what would do today for a professional product that
> clients pay money for.
>
> One that should be usable from mobile with 3G for example.
>
> So, again..
>
> 1. commit the package from Helios/legacy
> 2....
> 3...
> 4...
> 5. upload to server
> 6. profit
>
> If you have something real online to show would be a great plus
>
> Thanks!
>
> sebastian
>
> o/
>

> On May 2, 2014, at 10:39 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If it is this afternoon I would just upload the whole project folder
>> to the web server. This would include the 16MB or so bower_components
>> directory.
>>
>> In a second thought I would have a look at the bower_components to
>> check what is really needed. Seems to be time-consuming....
>>
>> On 5/2/14, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Get it.
>>>
>>> Can we write the to-do list of the ideal steps we need to get it done?
>>>
>>> What would *you* now if you have developed the app and you need to
>>> deploy*
>>> this afternoon*?
>>>
>>> 1. commit the package from Helios/legacy
>>> 2....
>>> 3...
>>> 4...
>>> 5. upload to server
>>> 6. profit

>>> --

Re: Deployment advice

sebastianconcept

On May 2, 2014, at 11:15 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sebastian,

so you are talking about an all-in-one-amber.js which is minimized, an
issue we had before and where we still have problems....?

Last year I worked with r.js to string everything together and it
worked at a certain point of time with a certain version of amber.

You mentioned repeatedly that you did a manual concat of all the amber
files and it worked quite well. Is it possible to automate this?

Good question. That’s the best idea I have so far but my point here is try to capitalize on good experiences that other amberians I assume are having.

.deploy.js isn’t there anymore in this version so I’d love to hear what others have to say

What you guys are doing for that goal?

Are you using closure compiler on the concatenated .js files? or something else? any advice evading a known pitfall?

Com on guys... this is not time to be shy, this is time to deliver real value with this

Don’t let me down, what’s your pro advice?

Re: Deployment advice

John Thornton
I have been working on this Amber project for a while. It's my first Single Page App (wow - there is a learning curve there), and I'm still finishing up some work on it. Over the weekend (probably Sunday) - I'll post more about my deployment process and the project in general.

http://soundprooftracks.com

JohnnyT

On Friday, May 2, 2014 8:26:27 AM UTC-6, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

On May 2, 2014, at 11:15 AM, H. Hirzel <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="42qlh3UtyiIJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">hannes...@...> wrote:

[...]

philippeback
On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Johnny T <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been working on this Amber project for a while. It's my first Single Page App (wow - there is a learning curve there), and I'm still finishing up some work on it. Over the weekend (probably Sunday) - I'll post more about my deployment process and the project in general.

Nice app.

I looked at the page source and man, that's a bunch of js to load.

The soundproof "whisper" is a nice idea but gets on the nerves after a while. Is that for testing or as a kind of watermark?

Phil

[...]

Joe Shirk
I don't suppose there is a drop-in webshop or a way to do a fancy brochure (like http://www.decntrl.org/)

Re: Deployment advice

Herby Vojčík

Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

Get it.

Can we write the to-do list of the ideal steps we need to get it done?

What would you now if you have developed the app and you need to deploy this afternoon?

Writing into your form:

1. commit the package from Helios/legacy
2. `amber config deploy`
3. `node .../r.js -o allinone.js amber.config.js`, or
3. `amber pack -o allinone.js`
4a. `git push`
4b. CI / CD gets involved
4c. Run tests
5. upload to server
6. profit

Of course, 4a and 4b can go further up and actually automate everything since 2.

I don't know if 3. is needed to build into amber, for flexibility it would just delegate to r.js (adding amber.config.js), but `amber init` precedent shows people rather use prepackaged command then use the building blocks directly as learning curve is then less steep.

Herby

Re: Deployment advice

sebastianconcept
On May 2, 2014, at 7:25 PM, Johnny T <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have been working on this Amber project for a while. It's my first Single Page App (wow - there is a learning curve there), and I'm still finishing up some work on it. Over the weekend (probably Sunday) - I'll post more about my deployment process and the project in general.

First SAP? woha man, solid concept there.

I’ve listened > 20

Awesome content.

Will ask you more about that in pvt.

Yeah we need to work on that learning curve.

We recently worked on putting somo CLI sugar and started to do some screencasts to ease that curve

Looking forward to hear more about it

Keep up that great work

Re: Deployment advice

Hannes Hirzel
Ludus http://bromagosa.github.io/Ludus/#  uses the whole
bower_components folder in the gh-pages branch.

And in http://hhzl.github.io/Amber-ToDo-List/ I reuse the deployment
in Ludus to avoid adding the heavy  bower_components folder to the
ToDo repo.

There was a minor snag using the bower_components folder with the
gh-pages branch.

gh-pages did not like the _st.js file starting with an underscore.
Adding the content to amber.js fixed the problem.

https://github.com/bromagosa/Ludus/issues/3

--Hannes