Deployment on Pharo

gerard alis
Excuse me for my poor english.

I want implement a mechanism of deploy in Pharo. The objetive is obtain one file with VM and Image mergeds. I believe than in MACOS is easy, only is needed  put the image file into the "VM" folder and create a zip with a link to APPs folder. In Windows the idea is merge VM and image in one file and create a classical windows installer. Exists some previous work do it for deployment? I see for example images "One click" for mac.

Regards

Re: Deployment on Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:39 AM, nullPointer wrote:

> Excuse me for my poor english.
>
> I want implement a mechanism of deploy in Pharo. The objetive is obtain one
> file with VM and Image mergeds. I believe than in MACOS is easy, only is
> needed  put the image file into the "VM" folder and create a zip with a link
> to APPs folder. In Windows the idea is merge VM and image in one file and
> create a classical windows installer. Exists some previous work do it for
> deployment? I see for example images "One click" for mac.

OneClick image should wor on linx and windows too. Is it not what you want?
There was a mechanism in the past to include an image in the vm ( but I forgot ).

Re: Deployment on Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
For windows you can use a windows installer like this one: http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26835/setup_pharo1.0-10517-release10.04.15.exe

Maybe this is helpful: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToDeployAnApplication

http://squeakvm.org/win32/custom.html

cheer

mariano

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:39 AM, nullPointer wrote:

> Excuse me for my poor english.
>
> I want implement a mechanism of deploy in Pharo. The objetive is obtain one
> file with VM and Image mergeds. I believe than in MACOS is easy, only is
> needed  put the image file into the "VM" folder and create a zip with a link
> to APPs folder. In Windows the idea is merge VM and image in one file and
> create a classical windows installer. Exists some previous work do it for
> deployment? I see for example images "One click" for mac.

OneClick image should wor on linx and windows too. Is it not what you want?
There was a mechanism in the past to include an image in the vm ( but I forgot ).

Re: Deployment on Pharo

gerard alis
Not only merge the files; I want too do a wizard for configure the state of image, what maybe launched when the image is startup or down (with events), change the default error messages, without debug option, or try shrink the image of not needed packages etc, and finally select the output for windows, OSX etc . Something like that exists on VisualWorks. I don´t know if is possible do all that, and I need know if exists some previous work.

Regards

Re: Deployment on Pharo

gerard alis
Yes, that is a good start point :)

Re: Deployment on Pharo

mariano

can you  create a page on the book with a bit of text?

Stef

On Jul 19, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> For windows you can use a windows installer like this one: http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26835/setup_pharo1.0-10517-release10.04.15.exe
>
> Maybe this is helpful: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToDeployAnApplication
>
> http://squeakvm.org/win32/custom.html
>
> cheer
>
> mariano
>

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:39 AM, nullPointer wrote:
>

> > Excuse me for my poor english.
> >
> > I want implement a mechanism of deploy in Pharo. The objetive is obtain one
> > file with VM and Image mergeds. I believe than in MACOS is easy, only is
> > needed  put the image file into the "VM" folder and create a zip with a link
> > to APPs folder. In Windows the idea is merge VM and image in one file and
> > create a classical windows installer. Exists some previous work do it for
> > deployment? I see for example images "One click" for mac.
>

> OneClick image should wor on linx and windows too. Is it not what you want?
> There was a mechanism in the past to include an image in the vm ( but I forgot ).
>
> Stef

Re: Deployment on Pharo

On Jul 19, 2010, at 2:55 PM, nullPointer wrote:

> Not only merge the files; I want too do a wizard for configure the state of
> image,

looks at merlin for that. This is a framework to build wizards.

> what maybe launched when the image is startup or down (with events),
> change the default error messages, without debug option, or try shrink the
> image of not needed packages etc, and finally select the output for windows,
> OSX etc .

If you come up with some scripts please share.
Indeed this would be good to have such infrastructure

> Something like that exists on VisualWorks. I don´t know if is
> possible do all that, and I need know if exists some previous work.

Note that lot of packages can be unloaded and that we hope to get in a shape where
we can do the inverse: ie have a small core and load only but before doing that
we will have to do the same as in VW (stripping) so if you get problems let us know so that we
can slowly make sure that the system is going to be easy to chop into pieces.

> Regards

Re: Deployment on Pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K
This is a great idea, and I hope you will pursue it.

The greatest needs are to formalize startup and shutdown (which appears to be SLOWLY happening anyway, but please help it along<g>) and to have a clean way to prepare an image for an end-user without locking out the developer.

Stripping unused code to get the total size down is a great idea, but it can be over done.  My typical image runs at over 30 MB, which is big and begs for stripping.  In Dolphin, I could obtain executables of 4MB down to 2MB with almost no effort; Object Arts and some users put what I consider to be unreasonable effort into going below that.  I understand there is a place for very small executables, but I think we are missing far more important features (e.g. callbacks, OS threads, package system, printing framework, GUI editor) to justify expending a lot of effort on creating extremely small executables.  Of course, it is your time and you can do what you think is best.

IMHO, there is very little need to create a single file with image and vm.  The end user cares about a desktop icon or menu item; it matters very little what is behind the icon.  The tiny notepad.exe is often cited as an example to emulate, but look at its dependencies.  A single file is a nice goal, but I suspect we would be better off with the following:

(1) a nice wizard that allows one to save the image the way the developer wants it and then creates an optionally stripped image for the end user under a desired name; even getting a 40 MB image down to 4MB would be a big boost.

(2) good support for installing and launching the deployed image with the platform vm.  Innosetup is a nice way to do such things on Windows, and I have code that generates scripts for it.  I recommend staying clear of the Windows Installer; it is complicated to the point of being dangerous, while Inno just gets the job done in understandable ways.  My wrapper code for Innos Setup would have to be ported to Pharo, but that should be possible.  Linux has .rpm and .deb to consider; maybe there are generic shell-script approaches to the problem??

Good luck!

Bill