Deprecation of #registerAsApplication:

Tim Johnson-2
Hi,

Just wondering about the deprecation of #registerAsApplication: which I
think took place during the refactor of WASession and/or WAApplication.

This method is still the #1 answer on the Seaside FAQ:

http://www.seaside.st/documentation/faq/how-to

...and still featured in two sections of the canonical documentation:

http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/gemstone/developing-component/register-application
http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/cincom-smalltalk/component/registering

Is there a way to contribute changes to documentation?

Thanks,
Tim

Re: Deprecation of #registerAsApplication:

Philippe Marschall
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 10:33 PM Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering about the deprecation of #registerAsApplication: which I
> think took place during the refactor of WASession and/or WAApplication.
>
> This method is still the #1 answer on the Seaside FAQ:
>
> http://www.seaside.st/documentation/faq/how-to
>
> ...and still featured in two sections of the canonical documentation:
>
> http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/gemstone/developing-component/register-application
> http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/cincom-smalltalk/component/registering
>
> Is there a way to contribute changes to documentation?

Yes there is. We're migrating to the GitHub Wiki [1]. If you have a
GitHub account I can add you as a collaborator.

 [1] https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/wiki

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Deprecation of #registerAsApplication:

Tim Mackinnon

I’d be careful moving to that - it’s a real pain to use, and more difficult to contribute to than a normal wiki (there was a conversation on the iceberg repo about this, and it got changed to normal files). Not sure why they did such a half baked solution. (Possibly it’s improved in the last 4 months?)

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:44 PM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’d be careful moving to that - it’s a real pain to use, and more difficult to contribute to than a normal wiki (there was a conversation on the iceberg repo about this, and it got changed to normal files). Not sure why they did such a half baked solution. (Possibly it’s improved in the last 4 months?)

It's not ideal, most notably no pull requests can be submitted. On the
other hand the number of contribution requests for documentation has
been low and I feel while not perfect it's an improvement over the
current situation.
Do you have a better alternative?

Cheers
Philippe