DeprecationHistory

Alain Plantec-4
Hi all,
One of my recents slice for preferences migration has made pharo nearly
unusable
because a lot of  deprecation dialogs was opened for a single browser.
Then, the user had to forbid the deprecation warnings in order to avoid
these popups.

Now, what about a non blocking window which is opened automatically when
a deprecated method is run,
but showing the list of recents deprecations ?
A double click on a list item, et hop!,  a browser is opened on the
deprecated method.
I've tried it on the last pharo image and it seems ok. With it, it is
still always possible to let deprecation warning
without having to close any dialog window.
What do you think ?

A screenshot is attached.
Cheers
Alain

DeprecationHistory.png (116K) Download Attachment

Re: DeprecationHistory

Nicolas Cellier
2009/12/8 Alain Plantec <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
> One of my recents slice for preferences migration has made pharo nearly
> unusable
> because a lot of  deprecation dialogs was opened for a single browser.
> Then, the user had to forbid the deprecation warnings in order to avoid
> these popups.
>
> Now, what about a non blocking window which is opened automatically when a
> deprecated method is run,
> but showing the list of recents deprecations ?
> A double click on a list item, et hop!,  a browser is opened on the
> deprecated method.
> I've tried it on the last pharo image and it seems ok. With it, it is still
> always possible to let deprecation warning
> without having to close any dialog window.
> What do you think ?
>
> A screenshot is attached.
> Cheers
> Alain

+1 I like the idea...

Nicolas

Re: DeprecationHistory

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 08.12.2009 23:28, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2009/12/8 Alain Plantec<[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi all,
>> One of my recents slice for preferences migration has made pharo nearly
>> unusable
>> because a lot of  deprecation dialogs was opened for a single browser.
>> Then, the user had to forbid the deprecation warnings in order to avoid
>> these popups.
>>
>> Now, what about a non blocking window which is opened automatically when a
>> deprecated method is run,
>> but showing the list of recents deprecations ?
>> A double click on a list item, et hop!,  a browser is opened on the
>> deprecated method.
>> I've tried it on the last pharo image and it seems ok. With it, it is still
>> always possible to let deprecation warning
>> without having to close any dialog window.
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> A screenshot is attached.
>> Cheers
>> Alain
>>

> +1 I like the idea...
>
> Nicolas

+2
Even better if there's a button in each row to open a list of the
methods that have been recorded as calling the deprecated version :D

Henry

Re: DeprecationHistory

hernanmd
Hi Alain,
  It looks a pretty nice way to keep the developer informed, I like it.
Cheers,

Hernán

2009/12/8 Alain Plantec <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
> One of my recents slice for preferences migration has made pharo nearly
> unusable
> because a lot of  deprecation dialogs was opened for a single browser.
> Then, the user had to forbid the deprecation warnings in order to avoid
> these popups.
>
> Now, what about a non blocking window which is opened automatically when a
> deprecated method is run,
> but showing the list of recents deprecations ?
> A double click on a list item, et hop!,  a browser is opened on the
> deprecated method.
> I've tried it on the last pharo image and it seems ok. With it, it is still
> always possible to let deprecation warning
> without having to close any dialog window.
> What do you think ?
>
> A screenshot is attached.
> Cheers
> Alain

Re: DeprecationHistory

Alain Plantec-4
Henrik Sperre Johansen a écrit :
> +2
> Even better if there's a button in each row to open a list of the
> methods that have been recorded as calling the deprecated version :D
>
> Henry

Hi Henry,
Maybe something like that (see screenshot):

Each root shows a deprecated method call.
Here, 3 calls to the same deprecated method but from different paths.
The occurence show how many time the deprecated method has been called
with the same caller chain.
23 times for Try1>>call -> Try2>>call
2 times for Try2>>call
3 times for Try3>>call -> Try1>>call -> Try2>>call

So, you see exactly which deprecated methods were called, from where and
how many times.

Alain

DeprecationsTree.png (136K) Download Attachment

Re: DeprecationHistory

Stéphane Ducasse
alain

this is cool. :)
I want to reuse the code to enhance the classBrowser
to see the documentation of the class in a file based view
this is relate to what laurent is doing in seaside.

On Dec 9, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Henrik Sperre Johansen a écrit :
>> +2
>> Even better if there's a button in each row to open a list of the methods that have been recorded as calling the deprecated version :D
>>
>> Henry
>>
> Hi Henry,
> Maybe something like that (see screenshot):
>
> Each root shows a deprecated method call.
> Here, 3 calls to the same deprecated method but from different paths.
> The occurence show how many time the deprecated method has been called with the same caller chain.
> 23 times for Try1>>call -> Try2>>call
> 2 times for Try2>>call
> 3 times for Try3>>call -> Try1>>call -> Try2>>call
>
> So, you see exactly which deprecated methods were called, from where and how many times.
>
> Alain

Re: DeprecationHistory

Romain Robbes
That's a great idea!

        Romain

--
Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: DeprecationHistory

Henrik Sperre Johansen
From the standpoint of wanting to fix them, I really don't see the point in expanding the  tree past the first level, but sure.
As long as you have a right-click menu-item on each to open a browser on the method for easy fixing of the deprecated call site ;)

Personally, I'd prefer a tree like in the picture attached, to me at least that's more intuitive.

Cheers,
Henry

On Dec 9, 2009, at 12:19 31PM, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Henrik Sperre Johansen a écrit :
>> +2
>> Even better if there's a button in each row to open a list of the methods that have been recorded as calling the deprecated version :D
>>
>> Henry
>>
> Hi Henry,
> Maybe something like that (see screenshot):
>
> Each root shows a deprecated method call.
> Here, 3 calls to the same deprecated method but from different paths.
> The occurence show how many time the deprecated method has been called with the same caller chain.
> 23 times for Try1>>call -> Try2>>call
> 2 times for Try2>>call
> 3 times for Try3>>call -> Try1>>call -> Try2>>call
>
> So, you see exactly which deprecated methods were called, from where and how many times.
>
> Alain

DeprecationsTree2.png (103K) Download Attachment