Deprecations and Hudson

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi. With Hudson we want to automatically build images. It can happens that external packages did not yet update their code and that are still using depreacted methods. So, by default we raise  an exception. This is good because when the developer see an annoying popup, maybe he fix it ;)

Now, the problem is that Hudson FAILS if there is a deprecated. So, I suggest changing the hudson dev  build script to:

Deprecation raiseWarning: false.
Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project lastVersion) perform: #silently: with: true; perform: #load.
Deprecation raiseWarning: true.

This way, the build image can be always build and then at runtime, the user will see the popups.

Marcus, please, let me know if you change this becasue I need it to fix a problem with Metacello.

mariano

Re: Deprecations and Hudson

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 23, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

done.

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Deprecations and Hudson

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 23, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project lastVersion) perform: #silently: with: true; perform: #load.
Deprecation raiseWarning: true.

This way, the build image can be always build and then at runtime, the user will see the popups.

Marcus, please, let me know if you change this becasue I need it to fix a problem with Metacello.

done.

Ok, so it breaks the build when running tests. I removed turning on Deprecation warnings
(last line)
 lets see.

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Deprecations and Hudson

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 23.01.2011 12:05, Marcus Denker wrote:

On Jan 23, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project lastVersion) perform: #silently: with: true; perform: #load.
Deprecation raiseWarning: true.

This way, the build image can be always build and then at runtime, the user will see the popups.

Marcus, please, let me know if you change this becasue I need it to fix a problem with Metacello.

done.

Ok, so it breaks the build when running tests. I removed turning on Deprecation warnings
(last line)
 lets see.

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

I'd suggest using  Deprecation>>#deprecationsWhile:
That way you can report them in Hudson, so they are easier to fix.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Deprecations and Hudson

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 23, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project lastVersion) perform: #silently: with: true; perform: #load.
Deprecation raiseWarning: true.

This way, the build image can be always build and then at runtime, the user will see the popups.

Marcus, please, let me know if you change this becasue I need it to fix a problem with Metacello.

done.

Ok, so it breaks the build when running tests. I removed turning on Deprecation warnings

Ok BUT, the final image, (the one that the user can download), must have the flag in true. can you do that ?

(last line)
 lets see.

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Deprecations and Hudson

Igor Stasenko
On 23 January 2011 13:51, Henrik Sperre Johansen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23.01.2011 12:05, Marcus Denker wrote:
>
> On Jan 23, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project lastVersion) perform:
> #silently: with: true; perform: #load.Deprecation raiseWarning: true.
>

> This way, the build image can be always build and then at runtime, the user
> will see the popups.
>
> Marcus, please, let me know if you change this becasue I need it to fix a
> problem with Metacello.

I am making the non-interactive classes for handling this.
Image could detect if it runs non-interactive, and so, it will pass
deprecation warnings, instead of raising dialog message.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Deprecations and Hudson

Mariano Martinez Peck

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 23.01.2011 12:05, Marcus Denker wrote:
>
> On Jan 23, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project lastVersion) perform:
> #silently: with: true; perform: #load.Deprecation raiseWarning: true.
>

> This way, the build image can be always build and then at runtime, the user
> will see the popups.
>
> Marcus, please, let me know if you change this becasue I need it to fix a
> problem with Metacello.

I am making the non-interactive classes for handling this.
Image could detect if it runs non-interactive, and so, it will pass
deprecation warnings, instead of raising dialog message.

great. Even better :)
Now, my only advice is: the final image that the use download should have the flag in true, and the build should not cancel because of deprecations.

Cheers

mariano

--
Best regards,