Deprecations

Herby Vojčík
Hello!

As you know, Amber collected lots of deprecations and backward
compatibilities in its codebase during its lifetime. In 0.14.0,
scheduled for Jan 1st, nearly all of them will be removed.

You can see the list of all (known) deprecations here:
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/List-of-deprecations

If you want to check your code for use of deprecations, there is a
branch named deprecations-off, which tries to remove the deprecations
from the list above and see if Amber works (and let you test if your
projects will work with 0.l4+). If you have your 0.13-based project, you
can just do `bower install amber#deprecations-off` in root of your
project to install actual state of the branch and see if your project
works fine or breaks. Do `bower install amber` to get back the stable
0.13.2 back.

Herby

Re: Deprecations

Nicolas Petton

Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello!
>
> As you know, Amber collected lots of deprecations and backward
> compatibilities in its codebase during its lifetime. In 0.14.0,
> scheduled for Jan 1st, nearly all of them will be removed.
>
> You can see the list of all (known) deprecations here:
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/List-of-deprecations

Very good idea! It was about time to clean that up :)

Is there a list of deprecated methods that will be kept for some more
time?

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Deprecations

Herby Vojčík

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  writes:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> As you know, Amber collected lots of deprecations and backward
>> compatibilities in its codebase during its lifetime. In 0.14.0,
>> scheduled for Jan 1st, nearly all of them will be removed.
>>
>> You can see the list of all (known) deprecations here:
>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/List-of-deprecations
>
> Very good idea! It was about time to clean that up :)
>
> Is there a list of deprecated methods that will be kept for some more
> time?

If you think some of them should stay, discuss it or mark that in that wiki page, where all of them are listed.
I plan to leave no Smalltalk-level deprecation and from non-Smalltalk deprecations to also remove all except the mapping of 'namespace/_source' to store st and js to different places (which I see as useful feature for certain occasions).

Re: Deprecations

Herby Vojčík
I updated the below-mentioned branch, it removes all deprecations that
are planned for 0.14. You may test your projects now.

Herby