[DesktopManager] Ctlr - D (do-it) is blocked after installation of desktop manager

[DesktopManager] Ctlr - D (do-it) is blocked after installation of desktop manager

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Hannes,

The desktop manager uses "key combinations" always starting with CTRL+D (like "Desktop")
so one can easily remember the possibilities:

CTRL + D followed by CTRL + D — “Desktop Display” to display and switch between all desktops
CTRL + D followed by CTRL + A — “Desktop Add” to add a new desktop
CTRL + D followed by CTRL + N — “Desktop Next” to go to next desktop
CTRL + D followed by CTRL + P — “Desktop Previous” to go to previous desktop
CTRL + D followed by CTRL + B — “Desktop Background” to choose a background
CTRL + D followed by CTRL + F — “Desktop Fullscreen” to switch fullscreen option

as can be seen in

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpLY7uQnPsg

but unfortunately CTRL+D ("single key") is also used for the "do it" in a playground.

As the shortcut handler of the desktop manager is only triggered when the full key sequence is
pressed the code can only check if the active hand is in an editor and allow the do it then.
At least that is the only solution I've found to this problem so far.

This leads to the unfortunate effect you have to press CTRL+D twice in the playground once the desktop
manager is loaded.

But nonetheless the "do it" is still possible - you only have to hit CTRL+D twice in the playground.
Hope this helps!

Bye
T.

Re: [DesktopManager] Ctlr - D (do-it) is blocked after installation of desktop manager

Tim Mackinnon
Interesting, but how is it that Ctrl-B works for Browse and is also a meta key for Ctrl-B + Ctlr+N? I think there is a a way to support both - whether its worth it is another question (and I suspect the complication of supporting it might not be worthwhile, and some of the old key combinations like Ctrl-B and Ctrl-N might need deprecating as there are meta key equivalents as when I looked through the existing code it is quite complicated and in need of a cleanup).

Tim

> On 4 Sep 2017, at 10:52, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Hannes,
>
> The desktop manager uses "key combinations" always starting with CTRL+D (like "Desktop")
> so one can easily remember the possibilities:
>
> CTRL + D followed by CTRL + D — “Desktop Display” to display and switch between all desktops
> CTRL + D followed by CTRL + A — “Desktop Add” to add a new desktop
> CTRL + D followed by CTRL + N — “Desktop Next” to go to next desktop
> CTRL + D followed by CTRL + P — “Desktop Previous” to go to previous desktop
> CTRL + D followed by CTRL + B — “Desktop Background” to choose a background
> CTRL + D followed by CTRL + F — “Desktop Fullscreen” to switch fullscreen option
>
> as can be seen in
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpLY7uQnPsg
>
> but unfortunately CTRL+D ("single key") is also used for the "do it" in a playground.
>
> As the shortcut handler of the desktop manager is only triggered when the full key sequence is
> pressed the code can only check if the active hand is in an editor and allow the do it then.
> At least that is the only solution I've found to this problem so far.
>
> This leads to the unfortunate effect you have to press CTRL+D twice in the playground once the desktop
> manager is loaded.
>
> But nonetheless the "do it" is still possible - you only have to hit CTRL+D twice in the playground.
> Hope this helps!
>
> Bye
> T.

Re: [DesktopManager] Ctlr - D (do-it) is blocked after installation of desktop manager

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Torsten

Thank you for the explanation.

How can I de-activate the ctrl-D shortcut for the Desktop manager for
the time being?

I'd like ctrl-D only execute the 'do -it'.

Hitting 'ctrl-D' twice  with the desktop manager installed did not
work for some reason.
And it is inconvenient. Because do-it is a much more frequent
operation for me than switching the desktop.

Kind regards
Hannes