Detecting internet connection (and it's kind)

Detecting internet connection (and it's kind)

Sebastián Sastre
Hi all,

    beside #ping: anURL, I can't find a way to detect if the host running
the application is connected to the internet. Anybody does?

    I can't remember now, but I'm pretty sure I was playing arroung, about a
year ago, with some method like #hasInternetConnection or #isModemConnection
or #isLANConnection

    Anybody knows it? perhaps some goodie?

thanks,

--
Sebastián Sastre
Seaswork

Re: Detecting internet connection (and it's kind)

Udo Schneider
Sebastián,

AFAIK this is the only built-in method of testing connectivity. If this
is successfull you'll know that the following works:
  * Ethernet(ARP)/Modem
  * Routing (if the url is hosted outside of your network)
  * DNS (if you use hostnames in your URL)
  * There is no device blocking http

The problem might be to dertermine what exactly you'll need. Depending
on this deccision you might want to do your own checks. Some of these
checks might require some M$ Network APIs. I think the IP Helper APIs
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iphlp/iphlp/ip_helper_start_page.asp)
should do most of the job.

1) Check if local connectivity is available: For Ethernet this means to
check whether the NIC has a link.
2) If a default GW is set, ping it (I can send you my ICMP code if you
want). If this fails ICMP might be blocked by a FW. Check whether the IP
address resolved to an ARP entry. This tells you at least that you can
reach the default GW.
3) Check DNS: The class InternetAddress might help you here. If the DNS
Servers are in a different subnet you know that DNS and routing works
4) Try to access a resource (e.g. httpd) on a non local subnet host. If
this works you're done.

Hope this helps.

CU,

Udo

Sebastián Sastre wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     beside #ping: anURL, I can't find a way to detect if the host running
> the application is connected to the internet. Anybody does?
>
>     I can't remember now, but I'm pretty sure I was playing arroung, about a
> year ago, with some method like #hasInternetConnection or #isModemConnection
> or #isLANConnection
>
>     Anybody knows it? perhaps some goodie?
>
> thanks,

Re: Detecting internet connection (and it's kind)

Ian Bartholomew-19
Sebastián,

>    I can't remember now, but I'm pretty sure I was playing arroung, about
> a year ago, with some method like #hasInternetConnection or
> #isModemConnection or #isLANConnection

Could you have been thinking about one of the other WinINetLibrary methods -
#internetCheckConnection:....  It's method comment is "Allows an application
to check if a connection to the Internet can be established.".

I do remember it's use, and that of #internetGoOnline:....., to be somewhat
confusing and that they do not always end up with the expected results.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Detecting internet connection (and it's kind)

Sebastián Sastre
> Could you have been thinking about one of the other WinINetLibrary
> methods - #internetCheckConnection:....  It's method comment is "Allows an
> application to check if a connection to the Internet can be established.".

Is what I found in the image now, and in fact it is useful, but I need a
more detailed knowledge of the internet connection.
I'm sure I was not dreaming when using this two methods that tells you if
your host has a lan connection or a modem connection. Perhaps it was a
feature of a goodie that I can't find now.

regards,

--
Sebastián Sastre
Seaswork
Special Software Solutions
www.seaswork.com.ar

Re: Detecting internet connection (and it's kind)

Sebastián Sastre
Perhaps I should have to do all that.

It's just before to reinvent wheel I want to query you comunity people for
those methods that I saw somewhere.

regards

--
Sebastián Sastre
Seaswork
Special Software Solutions
www.seaswork.com.ar

Re: Found it ! (was: Detecting internet connection (and it's kind))

Sebastián Sastre
Yes!  I found it

    It was a Steve's one !

    Steve Waring made a set of WinInet extensions that are pretty useful.
For those interested, the package it's called
'SWWinInetHInternets' and the RootSession has the methods #isOnlie;
#isLANConnection; #isModemConnection; #isProxyConnection

    thank for your job Steve !

--
Sebastián Sastre
Seaswork
Special Software Solutions
www.seaswork.com.ar

"Sebastián Sastre" <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje
news:[hidden email]...

>> Could you have been thinking about one of the other WinINetLibrary
>> methods - #internetCheckConnection:....  It's method comment is "Allows
>> an application to check if a connection to the Internet can be
>> established.".
>
> Is what I found in the image now, and in fact it is useful, but I need a
> more detailed knowledge of the internet connection.
> I'm sure I was not dreaming when using this two methods that tells you if
> your host has a lan connection or a modem connection. Perhaps it was a
> feature of a goodie that I can't find now.
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Sebastián Sastre
> Seaswork
> Special Software Solutions
> www.seaswork.com.ar

Re: Found it !

German Arduino
Sebastián Sastre wrote:

> Yes!  I found it
>
>     It was a Steve's one !
>
>     Steve Waring made a set of WinInet extensions that are pretty useful.
> For those interested, the package it's called
> 'SWWinInetHInternets' and the RootSession has the methods #isOnlie;
> #isLANConnection; #isModemConnection; #isProxyConnection
>
>     thank for your job Steve !

Hi Sebastián:

I can't find this package in Steve site.

Where it is?

Cheers.
gsa.