Dev09.12.1 does not look nice on Linux

hernan.wilkinson
Hi,
 the last version's fonts look really bad. See attached files
 I have Ubuntu 9.10, 64 bits.
 Dev09.11.4 looks fine
 Maybe is a preference setting?
Hernan

MenuDev12-1.png (22K) Download Attachment
MenuDev11-4.png (26K) Download Attachment

Re: Dev09.12.1 does not look nice on Linux

laurent laffont
Hi,

I had the same issue with exupery vm. Works with VM  Squeak-3.11.3.2135.

Laurent

2009/12/8 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
Hi,
 the last version's fonts look really bad. See attached files
 I have Ubuntu 9.10, 64 bits.
 Dev09.11.4 looks fine
 Maybe is a preference setting?
Hernan

Re: Dev09.12.1 does not look nice on Linux

hernan.wilkinson
but why the previous verson of pharo worked fine? there must be
something different in this new image...

2009/12/8 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> I had the same issue with exupery vm. Works with VM  Squeak-3.11.3.2135.
> See: http://n2.nabble.com/New-pharo-images-td4125021.html#a4125467
> Laurent
>
> 2009/12/8 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi,
>>  the last version's fonts look really bad. See attached files
>>  I have Ubuntu 9.10, 64 bits.
>>  Dev09.11.4 looks fine
>>  Maybe is a preference setting?
>> Hernan

Re: Dev09.12.1 does not look nice on Linux

Henrik Sperre Johansen
The default fonts were changed, now Bitmap StrikeFonts are used instead of a TrueType font.
Thus, the rendering method is completely different, and the use in StrikeFont rendering of some BitBlt  methods revealed bugs in the alpha channel handling in said methods that previously went unnoticed.
(Thus an updated VM/BitBlt plugin in required for them to render correctly).

Cheers,
Henry

On Dec 8, 2009, at 4:27 44PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

> but why the previous verson of pharo worked fine? there must be
> something different in this new image...
>
> 2009/12/8 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>> I had the same issue with exupery vm. Works with VM  Squeak-3.11.3.2135.
>> See: http://n2.nabble.com/New-pharo-images-td4125021.html#a4125467
>> Laurent
>>
>> 2009/12/8 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>  the last version's fonts look really bad. See attached files
>>>  I have Ubuntu 9.10, 64 bits.
>>>  Dev09.11.4 looks fine
>>>  Maybe is a preference setting?
>>> Hernan

Re: Dev09.12.1 does not look nice on Linux

Marcus Denker-3

On Dec 8, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

> but why the previous verson of pharo worked fine? there must be
> something different in this new image...

It uses pre-rendered sub-pixel fonts instead of rendering the fonts via FreeType.
(Much faster, not quite as nice in details).
Freetype fonts are available if needed, though. The pre-rendered fonts just replace
the 80ties=looking Squeak fonts and provide a good enough selection for a development image.

        Marcus

> 2009/12/8 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>> I had the same issue with exupery vm. Works with VM  Squeak-3.11.3.2135.
>> See: http://n2.nabble.com/New-pharo-images-td4125021.html#a4125467
>> Laurent
>>
>> 2009/12/8 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>  the last version's fonts look really bad. See attached files
>>>  I have Ubuntu 9.10, 64 bits.
>>>  Dev09.11.4 looks fine
>>>  Maybe is a preference setting?
>>> Hernan

Re: Dev09.12.1 does not look nice on Linux

Gary Chambers-4
Would be nice to expose the technique used in FreeType for
underline/strikeout... even if only stub where rendered by a StrikeFont.

Would help a lot for other canvas types (PDF, PostScript etc.)... For
instance, a P{DF canvas would draw the underline using graphics
primitives...

Regards, Gary

> On Dec 8, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> but why the previous verson of pharo worked fine? there must be
>> something different in this new image...
>>

> It uses pre-rendered sub-pixel fonts instead of rendering the fonts via
> FreeType.
> (Much faster, not quite as nice in details).
> Freetype fonts are available if needed, though. The pre-rendered fonts
> just replace
> the 80ties=looking Squeak fonts and provide a good enough selection for a
> development image.
>
> Marcus
>

>> 2009/12/8 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>> I had the same issue with exupery vm. Works with VM  Squeak-3.11.3.2135.
>>> See: http://n2.nabble.com/New-pharo-images-td4125021.html#a4125467
>>> Laurent

Re: Dev09.12.1 does not look nice on Linux

Mariano Martinez Peck
It should be explained somewhere how to replace StrikeFonts for FreeType.
Or even better, a preference for that maybe be cool.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Would be nice to expose the technique used in FreeType for
underline/strikeout... even if only stub where rendered by a StrikeFont.

Would help a lot for other canvas types (PDF, PostScript etc.)... For
instance, a P{DF canvas would draw the underline using graphics
primitives...

Regards, Gary

> On Dec 8, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> but why the previous verson of pharo worked fine? there must be
>> something different in this new image...
>>

> It uses pre-rendered sub-pixel fonts instead of rendering the fonts via
> FreeType.
> (Much faster, not quite as nice in details).
> Freetype fonts are available if needed, though. The pre-rendered fonts
> just replace
> the 80ties=looking Squeak fonts and provide a good enough selection for a
> development image.
>
> Marcus
>

>> 2009/12/8 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>> I had the same issue with exupery vm. Works with VM  Squeak-3.11.3.2135.
>>> See: http://n2.nabble.com/New-pharo-images-td4125021.html#a4125467
>>> Laurent

Re: Dev09.12.1 does not look nice on Linux

Adrian Lienhard
Why a preference? Its just a matter of selecting the font you like:

System > Preferences > System fonts

In the Font Browser you can click on "Update" and you *should* get all
your system fonts. The problem is, that the font browser does not
update. If you open it again, you see the fonts.

I filed an issue for 1.0/1.1:

Adrian

On Dec 8, 2009, at 19:25 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> It should be explained somewhere how to replace StrikeFonts for
> FreeType.
> Or even better, a preference for that maybe be cool.
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
>> Would be nice to expose the technique used in FreeType for
>> underline/strikeout... even if only stub where rendered by a
>> StrikeFont.
>>
>> Would help a lot for other canvas types (PDF, PostScript etc.)... For
>> instance, a P{DF canvas would draw the underline using graphics
>> primitives...
>>
>> Regards, Gary

I tried that but I didn't know it was not refreshing :-)
We found and reported this problem a few months ago with Juan Manuel
Vuletich (the alpha channel error)
BTW, on Mac, the monticello browser's buttons don't look good nether

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why a preference? Its just a matter of selecting the font you like:

System > Preferences > System fonts

In the Font Browser you can click on "Update" and you *should* get all
your system fonts. The problem is, that the font browser does not
update. If you open it again, you see the fonts.

Excellent :)   I wasn't aware of this! really cool.