Developing on a single image between two computers

Developing on a single image between two computers

Griff-2
Suppose you purchase a D6 pro license and install it on machine X and
start developing on a new image. If you wanted to work with that same
image on another computer, perhaps to give a presentation or if you are
travelling and you want to get some work done, would you need to
install D6 with your license key or could you just install the
community edition and start working away on your licensed image?

Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Chris Uppal-3
Griff wrote:

> Suppose you purchase a D6 pro license and install it on machine X and
> start developing on a new image. If you wanted to work with that same
> image on another computer, perhaps to give a presentation or if you are
> travelling and you want to get some work done, would you need to
> install D6 with your license key or could you just install the
> community edition and start working away on your licensed image?

Why not just try it ?

As far as I know, you can just copy a Dolphin installatioin to another machine
(where licencing permits) and it'll work even if Dolphin hasn't been installed
on that machine.  I haven't tried that with D6 (I'm not 100% sure I've tried it
with D5 either), so there may be problems, but it's worth a try.

    -- chris

Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Griff-2
Hi Chris,

> Why not just try it ?

I would like to find out before purchasing a license :)

Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

David Gorisek-5
Griff wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
>> Why not just try it ?
>
> I would like to find out before purchasing a license :)

I invite you to purchase a license. As far as I know the license is per
developer and not per machine.

Best regards,

David Gorisek

Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

James Foster-3
While I should let OA speak for themselves, or let you consult a lawyer,
I'll provide the following quote from the License Agreement:

"You may install and use an unlimited number copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT
on computers, including workstations, terminals or other digital electronic
devices to design, develop, and test your software application(s)
("Application"); however, you must acquire and dedicate a license for each
separate user of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. A license for the SOFTWARE PRODUCT
may not be shared or used concurrently by different users."

The way I read that is that you can install D6 Professional on multiple
computers as long as you (one developer) are the only person who will use
that installation.

As to the relationship between D6 Professional and Community Edition, I have
CE on my work machine and Pro on my personal machine. When I double-click on
Professional.img on my CE machine, everything opens and runs as if it were a
Pro unstall, except that the code repository can't be found (it is on a
local path).

So, in answer to your question, I believe you can install D6 Pro on multiple
machines with only one license purchase (again, if you are the only
developer to use the product on all the machines).

I'd encourage you to purchase D6 Pro!

James Foster

"Griff" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Suppose you purchase a D6 pro license and install it on machine X and
> start developing on a new image. If you wanted to work with that same
> image on another computer, perhaps to give a presentation or if you are
> travelling and you want to get some work done, would you need to
> install D6 with your license key or could you just install the
> community edition and start working away on your licensed image?

Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Andy Bower
Griff,

> The way I read that is that you can install D6 Professional on
> multiple computers as long as you (one developer) are the only person
> who will use that installation.
>
> As to the relationship between D6 Professional and Community Edition,
> I have CE on my work machine and Pro on my personal machine. When I
> double-click on Professional.img on my CE machine, everything opens
> and runs as if it were a Pro unstall, except that the code repository
> can't be found (it is on a local path).
>
> So, in answer to your question, I believe you can install D6 Pro on
> multiple machines with only one license purchase (again, if you are
> the only developer to use the product on all the machines).

James and the other respondents are correct. Providing you have
purchased DPRO you can install it on any number of machines so long as
you are the only developer using it.  You can, in fact, open DPRO
images using DCE but why bother when you can simply install another
copy of the professional edition.

Along similar lines, another way of maintaining development between two
or more machines is to use the Source Tracking System (STS) built into
DPRO.  Install DPRO on all of your personal computers and use a
separate image for each one.  You can connect these images to a central
STS repository where you maintain all your source.  If you make changes
to the source on a machine it then becomes a simple one click operation
to synchronise your image with the repository and then another click to
copy the changes into another image on another machine.

This latter way of working is probably more robust than either copying
images about or sharing a single one.  In general you don't want to
work with two systems open on the same image file concurrently as you
would risk corrupting your change log.

--
Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Chris Uppal-3
Andy,

> You can, in fact, open DPRO
> images using DCE but why bother when you can simply install another
> copy of the professional edition.

One reason why I would be a little reluctant to do a full DPro install on a
machine that wasn't "mine" is that I think the serial number is written to the
registry, potentially enabling other users of that machine to steal it.
Especially since -- if I remember correctly -- uninstalling Dolphin (helpfully)
does not remove the serial number but leaves it in place to make the next
install easier.

BTW, on that note (and for other reasons) it would be nice if purchasing a DPro
licence automatically provided a DCE unlock key too.  Maybe that's already the
case, but if not then it would be a helpful touch.

    -- chris

Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Griff-2
> James and the other respondents are correct. Providing you have
> purchased DPRO you can install it on any number of machines so long as
> you are the only developer using it.  You can, in fact, open DPRO
> images using DCE but why bother when you can simply install another
> copy of the professional edition.

I was thinking primarily about scenarious where you would specifically
not want to install your license on a machine since you would just be
"visiting". Perhaps you want to give a demo to a person or a group, and
you have asked that they install DCE because you can't bring your
machine. You make a good point about version control, though, you
probably wouldn't want to be doing any real work in this scenario.

> This latter way of working is probably more robust than either copying
> images about or sharing a single one.  In general you don't want to
> work with two systems open on the same image file concurrently as you
> would risk corrupting your change log.

That is a good point, thanks for the information.