Developing on a single image between two computers

Developing on a single image between two computers

Griff-2
How do folks normally go about distributed development against the same image?

For example, say I work at home on a project; and then I decide to
visit my parents
and then work on that project at their house. It seems like I would
just install Squeak and then load my image. If I am using version
control, though, how would I do things differently?

Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Bakki Kudva
Hi Grant,

I develop on 3 machines, work, home and laptop. I just use my laptop
(MacBookPro) to shuttle the image between the two workstations (Debian
Sarge Linux). I had asked this question earlier on the list and it was
suggested that I also could save and reload a project.  For some
reason  on my laptop Squeak hangs when it says Publishing (collecting
resources)...when it is trying to create a proect file in the
Squeaklet directory. So I have stuck to just copying the entire image
which only takes a minute anyhow. I suppose one could also use a flash
drive between machines.

-bakki

On 9/3/06, Grant Rettke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do folks normally go about distributed development against the same image?
>
> For example, say I work at home on a project; and then I decide to
> visit my parents
> and then work on that project at their house. It seems like I would
> just install Squeak and then load my image. If I am using version
> control, though, how would I do things differently?

Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

stephane ducasse
monticello + squeaksource to publish the code.
I always do that. http://www.squeaksource.com

Stef

On 3 sept. 06, at 15:57, Grant Rettke wrote:

> How do folks normally go about distributed development against the
> same image?
>
> For example, say I work at home on a project; and then I decide to
> visit my parents
> and then work on that project at their house. It seems like I would
> just install Squeak and then load my image. If I am using version
> control, though, how would I do things differently?

Re: Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Lukas Renggli
> monticello + squeaksource to publish the code.
> I always do that. http://www.squeaksource.com

Yes, this is definitely the way to go for serious work. If you have a
proper setup, it should be possible to take a fresh image on any
machine and just load the packages from your Monticello repository. If
you have a image ready it will be probably faster just to update it to
the latest code with Monticello.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Bakki Kudva
Ok, I am convinced and would like to try this out. Two questions
before I put my project up.

1. Does the Squeaksource policy allow 'closed source' projects? I
don't see a policies page neither do I see private projects like of
DabbleDB. I don't want to violate any rules.
2. When registering a project what is Name: vs. Title: ?

Bakki

On 9/3/06, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, this is definitely the way to go for serious work. If you have a
> proper setup, it should be possible to take a fresh image on any

Re: Re: Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Lukas Renggli
> 1. Does the Squeaksource policy allow 'closed source' projects? I
> don't see a policies page neither do I see private projects like of
> DabbleDB. I don't want to violate any rules.

Yes you can set it private in the project settings, so that only
developers (read/write) or quest (read) can access your code. If you
are afraid about your source code I suggest that you setup your own
repository. The squeaksource server is running on a machine at the
university of bern where several people have access to, this should
not be a problem, but I would not put confidential code there.

> 2. When registering a project what is Name: vs. Title: ?

Name: The url that is used to uniquely identify the project, it cannot
be changed after creating the project
(http://www.squeaksource.com/project-name).

Title: The title that is used for the project, it can be changed later on.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On 9/4/06, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes you can set it private in the project settings, so that only
> developers (read/write) or quest (read) can access your code. If you
> are afraid about your source code I suggest that you setup your own
> repository. The squeaksource server is running on a machine at the
> university of bern where several people have access to, this should
> not be a problem, but I would not put confidential code there.

I have access to a server (Debian Sarge) and would like to set up a
Monticello repository. THe server has Apache2  etc running on it
already. I looked around on wiresong.ca, the Monticello list for some
info on how to setup a repository using a headless squeak but couldn't
find anything. Googling, I found some postings about OSProcess, VNC
etc and running 'squeak -headless' for Seaside, but not for
Monticello. Could you please point me to some info on this subject?
Thank you very much,

bakki

Re: Re: Re: Re: Developing on a single image between two computers

Lukas Renggli
> > Yes you can set it private in the project settings, so that only
> > developers (read/write) or quest (read) can access your code. If you
> > are afraid about your source code I suggest that you setup your own
> > repository. The squeaksource server is running on a machine at the
> > university of bern where several people have access to, this should
> > not be a problem, but I would not put confidential code there.
>
> I have access to a server (Debian Sarge) and would like to set up a
> Monticello repository. THe server has Apache2  etc running on it
> already. I looked around on wiresong.ca, the Monticello list for some
> info on how to setup a repository using a headless squeak but couldn't
> find anything. Googling, I found some postings about OSProcess, VNC
> etc and running 'squeak -headless' for Seaside, but not for
> Monticello. Could you please point me to some info on this subject?
> Thank you very much,

You can just setup a WebDAV server, no need to run Squeak. You should
find information about the setup in the Apache2 manual. If you want to
use SqueakSource there is a ready made image available from:
http://de-1.tric.nl/~cg/images/. This thread might be interesting to
read: http://macos.tuwien.ac.at:9009/431172790.asHtml

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Re: Re: Developing on a single image between twocomputers

Ramon Leon-5
> I have access to a server (Debian Sarge) and would like to
> set up a Monticello repository. THe server has Apache2  etc
> running on it already. I looked around on wiresong.ca, the
> Monticello list for some info on how to setup a repository
> using a headless squeak but couldn't find anything. Googling,
> I found some postings about OSProcess, VNC etc and running
> 'squeak -headless' for Seaside, but not for Monticello. Could
> you please point me to some info on this subject?
> Thank you very much,
>
> bakki

You know you can use any ftp site as a repository, I've maintained my own
code in an ftp repository for a couple years now, you don't need a
SqueakSource repository.

Re: Re: Re: Developing on a single image between twocomputers

Bakki Kudva
Thank you Lukas, Ramon for your help.

bakki