Development process: testing the GUI

Nicolas Cellier
Hi all,
Pharo team is attaching great care in securing and improving the development process, notably by promoting usage of tests and continuous integration.

I think a very good job is already done in the libraries provided by Pharo. But sometimes I encounter more hickups with the development tools themselves.
So I wonder: does this apply to the GUI yet?
This is a difficult area, but nowadays this exists elsewhere.
For example, with Elm and Elmer (https://medium.com/@brian.watkins/test-driving-elm-with-elmer-649e2e7e02a8), TDD can be applied on UI, providing both a formal specification and non regression tests.
Do we have something similar?
Don't we wish having something similar?

Re: Development process: testing the GUI

EstebanLM
Hi,

Well… we “plan” to have tests also on UI.
But this is hard.
And not just because of the tooling, but also because having a coherent metaphor to organise everything is hard.
We are working (very slowly) in that direction.
And eventually, we would like to have also UI tests.

Esteban

On 12 Jan 2019, at 23:34, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,
Pharo team is attaching great care in securing and improving the development process, notably by promoting usage of tests and continuous integration.

I think a very good job is already done in the libraries provided by Pharo. But sometimes I encounter more hickups with the development tools themselves.
So I wonder: does this apply to the GUI yet?
This is a difficult area, but nowadays this exists elsewhere.
For example, with Elm and Elmer (https://medium.com/@brian.watkins/test-driving-elm-with-elmer-649e2e7e02a8), TDD can be applied on UI, providing both a formal specification and non regression tests.
Do we have something similar?
Don't we wish having something similar?

Re: Development process: testing the GUI

Nicolas Cellier
Sure, it will require more uniform API.
Elm has an advantage with static typing, but I'm sure we can do without it.
Maybe this should be integrated in the requirements/objectives of next frameworks.

Le dim. 13 janv. 2019 à 10:53, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

ducasse
Yes we would love that.
Now for P8 we are revisiting all Spec code and improving improving improving.
But Spec is not at the level of UI but UI Model.
Still it would be really nice to have tests at this level to start.
Stef