Development-time icons in deployed executable?

Development-time icons in deployed executable?

Chris Hayes-4
I'm trying to use the checkmark icon associated with class True in an
application.  The user can check off an item in a list and the item's icon
in the list view changes to the checkmark.  Works fine in the development
system but in the deployed executable, the checkmark icon appears to have
been stripped or something.  In its place I see the "?" icon.  Is there a
way to keep icons associated with classes in the development image from
getting stripped during deployment?

Many thanks,

Chris Hayes

Re: Development-time icons in deployed executable?

Bill Schwab
Chris,

> I'm trying to use the checkmark icon associated with class True in an
> application.  The user can check off an item in a list and the item's icon
> in the list view changes to the checkmark.  Works fine in the development
> system but in the deployed executable, the checkmark icon appears to have
> been stripped or something.  In its place I see the "?" icon.  Is there a
> way to keep icons associated with classes in the development image from
> getting stripped during deployment?

Is the resources dll is on the search path for the target machine?  That
might be sufficient.  If not, you might find the answer in the archives.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Development-time icons in deployed executable?

Chris Uppal-3
Chris Hayes wrote:

> I'm trying to use the checkmark icon associated with class True in an
> application.  The user can check off an item in a list and the item's
> icon in the list view changes to the checkmark.  Works fine in the
> development system but in the deployed executable, the checkmark icon
> appears to have been stripped or something.  In its place I see the
> "?" icon.

I use a custom versions of <dolphin>\GUI*.exe which have some icons (including
true and false, specifically) imported from the DolphinXXDR.dll.

I made copies of the stub .exes, then opened them using VC++ (you have to tell
VC++ explicitly to open them as resources), and similarly opened (readonly) the
Dolphin DR DLL.  Copied the icons across, added some other standard stuff of my
own (e.g.  !APPICATION.ICO is replaced by my own icon), removed some stuff that
I don't use, and saved.  There are other resource editors around, which would
presumably work just as well if not better, but I've never used anything except
VC++.

Then specify the replacement stub.exe as part of the package properties under
imageStrpper.

Then deploy.  It's worked so far.

    -- chris

Re: Development-time icons in deployed executable?

Chris Hayes-4
Bill and Chris,

Thanks for the responses.  Including the resources DLL fixed the problem.
Sort of a big file to distribute, though, just to get a single icon to show
up.  Chris' approach to modifying existing binaries using VC++ sounds like
it might provide more flexibility and smaller file size.  I'll give it a
shot.

Regrards,

Chris Hayes

Re: Development-time icons in deployed executable?

Christopher J. Demers
"Chris Hayes" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:C60Ha.49320$[hidden email]...
> I'm trying to use the checkmark icon associated with class True in an
> application.  The user can check off an item in a list and the item's icon
> in the list view changes to the checkmark.  Works fine in the development
> system but in the deployed executable, the checkmark icon appears to have
> been stripped or something.  In its place I see the "?" icon.  Is there a
> way to keep icons associated with classes in the development image from
> getting stripped during deployment?

Another easy way to accomplish this (though perhaps not a cool as the other
approaches suggested) is just to save the icon in the same directory as the
stand alone image with same name as its resource.  For example the True icon
becomes True.ico.  Dolphin will look in its resource library first, if not
found it will then look for a file named True.ico.

Chris