Diagram Tool

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

I would like to see a lean diagram tool included into Pharo-dev
in the future. The diagram part should be generic but by default
it may include UML visualization (we once had this in the extended
OB in the old Pharo-devs). A good UML editor would really be
helpfull.

I've seen "smallUML","Mondrian" and others but mostly they visualize
 existing code instead of "interactively create" new stuff.

I would like to see a tool similar to "eUML2" in Java which is
able to synchronize code and diagrams automatically.
(see http://www.soyatec.com/euml2/screenshots)

I think of the following scenario:

 - you open Pharo and select diagram editor from the world menu
 - you select/create a package, for instance "MyApp"
 - this leads to the following packages:
      "MyApp-Core"    -> code
      "MyApp-Tests"   -> SUnit test code
      "MyApp-Help"    -> help descriptions
      "MyApp-Diagram" -> here the diagram contents stored in classes

 - you click on "new class" and place a UML class in the diagram
   area. You name your class in the graphic for instance "Person"
 - you add a property "firstName" -> an IVar "firstName" is created
 - it allows you to easily create accessors (if you click "read only"
   only a getter is created)
 - you create another class "Account" and create a relationship
   "owner" by drawing an association line, the code is created
 - if you "manually" add an ivar to a class it will popup in the
   diagram too
 - ...

With a few clicks you are able to find a nice design and you
can use the diagrams to discuss with others.

Maybe this could lead to a Graphical Editing Framework similar
to Eclipse GEF  http://www.eclipse.org/gef/
allowing you to provide own shapes and connections by adding
custom shape/connection libraries.

Attached is a first shot on the graphic part. File into a 1.2 image
and select "Tools"->"DiagramEditor". This is just a test - maybe
it is also possible to extend existing frameworks like Mondrian ...

Anyone interested...

Bye
T.

--
GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 Euro/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit

Carapace-Core-tbn.23.mcz (17K) Download Attachment

Re: Diagram Tool

Stéphane Ducasse
first step: check SmallUML and help.
I asked news to carla some weeks ago and got no reaction

On Dec 27, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to see a lean diagram tool included into Pharo-dev
> in the future. The diagram part should be generic but by default
> it may include UML visualization (we once had this in the extended
> OB in the old Pharo-devs). A good UML editor would really be
> helpfull.
>
> I've seen "smallUML","Mondrian" and others but mostly they visualize
> existing code instead of "interactively create" new stuff.
>
> I would like to see a tool similar to "eUML2" in Java which is
> able to synchronize code and diagrams automatically.
> (see http://www.soyatec.com/euml2/screenshots)
>
> I think of the following scenario:
>
> - you open Pharo and select diagram editor from the world menu
> - you select/create a package, for instance "MyApp"
> - this leads to the following packages:
>      "MyApp-Core"    -> code
>      "MyApp-Tests"   -> SUnit test code
>      "MyApp-Help"    -> help descriptions
>      "MyApp-Diagram" -> here the diagram contents stored in classes
>
> - you click on "new class" and place a UML class in the diagram
>   area. You name your class in the graphic for instance "Person"
> - you add a property "firstName" -> an IVar "firstName" is created
> - it allows you to easily create accessors (if you click "read only"
>   only a getter is created)
> - you create another class "Account" and create a relationship
>   "owner" by drawing an association line, the code is created
> - if you "manually" add an ivar to a class it will popup in the
>   diagram too
> - ...
>
> With a few clicks you are able to find a nice design and you
> can use the diagrams to discuss with others.
>
> Maybe this could lead to a Graphical Editing Framework similar
> to Eclipse GEF  http://www.eclipse.org/gef/
> allowing you to provide own shapes and connections by adding
> custom shape/connection libraries.
>
> Attached is a first shot on the graphic part. File into a 1.2 image
> and select "Tools"->"DiagramEditor". This is just a test - maybe
> it is also possible to extend existing frameworks like Mondrian ...
>
> Anyone interested...
>
> Bye
> T.
>

> --
> GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 Euro/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit
> gratis Notebook-Flat! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
> <Carapace-Core-tbn.23.mcz>

Re: Diagram Tool

tfleig

Re: Diagram Tool

Mariano Martinez Peck
Tony, it is not exactly the same but did you know about Dr Geo II ?

http://community.ofset.org/index.php/DrGeo

cheers

mariano

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Tony Fleig <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been wishing for a while that Hotdraw would reappear in Smalltalk...

http://st-www.cs.illinois.edu/users/brant/HotDraw/HotDraw.html
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?HotDraw
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jhotdraw/

TF