Diff morphs

Gary Chambers-4
Hi, having though about "labelling" this is likely the best that can be managed for the Diff tools UI without refactoring some large chunks of Monticello.

Comments/ideas welcome...

See attached:

merge.png (115K) Download Attachment
two-versions.png (182K) Download Attachment
wc-changes.png (180K) Download Attachment

Re: Diff morphs

Gary Chambers-4
Or, an alternative layout...

Re: Diff morphs

Stéphane Ducasse
this is excellent
I'm nearly mixing left and right so .....

Stef
On Feb 4, 2010, at 6:42 PM, GARY CHAMBERS wrote:

> Or, an alternative layout...

Re: Diff morphs

Gary Chambers-4
So, which layout style would be prefered? I'll wait for answers before
versioning...

Regards, Gary

> I'm nearly mixing left and right so .....
>
> Stef
> On Feb 4, 2010, at 6:42 PM, GARY CHAMBERS wrote:
>
>> Or, an alternative layout...

Re: Diff morphs

Tudor Girba
Hi Gary,

I like the first one especially if it would be part of the Diff morph.
This morph could then be used in another context as well.

There would be two things I would maybe change:

1. Right now, you color both in the same way, but you distinguish the
labels via a background color. Perhaps, if the panes would be colored
in the same way as the labels, it would be better. Also, I would
rather opt for a white background because text is better readable in
this context.

2.  I would decrease the thickness of the divider

Cheers,
Doru

On 5 Feb 2010, at 00:44, Gary Chambers wrote:

> So, which layout style would be prefered? I'll wait for answers before
> versioning...
>
> Regards, Gary

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Diff morphs

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, which layout style would be prefered? I'll wait for answers before
versioning...

This is cool Gary. I like both :)   Maybe a bit more the first one.

Regards, Gary

> I'm nearly mixing left and right so .....
>
> Stef
> On Feb 4, 2010, at 6:42 PM, GARY CHAMBERS wrote:
>
>> Or, an alternative layout...

Re: Diff morphs

Stan Shepherd
Hi Gary, thanks for this.
I feel the panel headings layout in alternative-layout.png helps to make clearer which panel contains which version. And merge.png is the best for me for 'intention revealing'. Is the layout of merge.png with the headings as in alternative-layout.png possible?
...Stan

Re: Diff morphs

George Herolyants-3
Thanks a lot, Gary! I like alternative layout.

George

Re: Diff morphs

Gary Chambers-4
Well, it think we'll go with "alternative" then. Still enough space for the,
very, long package names (especially with full author names)!.

@Doru... I did try with white background colour before posting. Too "in your
face" considering it is merely a hint as to what is going on and also not
editable. As for divider, there is none... down to border width and layout
inset. Needed some, to start with I had none and looked quite bad. Remember,
this has to work with all themes too...

Regards, Gary