Diff tools.

Gary Chambers-4
(sorry, got posted under antother thred previously...)

Just released (as in uploaded versions) of the "Diff Tools" on SqueakSource.
Check here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6005 for details.

Have fun!
Gary

This email is from Pinesoft Limited. Its contents are confidential to the
intended recipient(s) at the email address(es) to which it has been
addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the
addressee(s), nor may it be copied in anyway. If received in error, please
contact the sender, then delete it from your system. Although this email and
attachments are believed to be free of virus, or any other defect which
might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and
opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are
virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Pinesoft for any loss or
damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof.

RE: Diff tools.

Gary Chambers-4
Any comments?

Adrian Lienhard
Hey, that's cool!

For those that don't have the time to load the code, here is a
screenshot (sorry for the additional traffic, but since there was no
other response to this mail, I think it's appropriate ;) )

One thing I noticed is that in the text panes, for selected code the
keyboard shortcuts do not work and the usual context menu is missing.

Cheers,
Adrian

BTW: I still have a problem loading or updating to versions beyond
Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.301.mcz (even if there are no windows opened when
debugger from which the image cannot recover.

On Apr 14, 2008, at 19:51 , Gary Chambers wrote:

> Any comments?

Picture 1.png (57K) Download Attachment

RE: Diff tools.

Gary Chambers-4

>One thing I noticed is that in the text panes, for selected code the
>keyboard shortcuts do not work and the usual context menu is missing.

This will be addressed in the future when tackling MC merges to allow
piecemeal conflict resolution *within* a method (pick which changes from
either side and allow modification of the composite result).

>Cheers,
>Adrian
>
>BTW: I still have a problem loading or updating to versions beyond
>Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.301.mcz (even if there are no windows opened when
>debugger from which the image cannot recover.

Unfortunately MC 1.0 having non-atomic loading and a progress bar tends to
interfere...

A workaround is to temporarily modify MCPackageLoader>>basic load to this:

basicLoad
        errorDefinitions := OrderedCollection new.
        [[additions do: [:ea | self tryToLoad: ea].
        removals do: [:ea | ea unload] displayingProgress: 'Cleaning up...'.
        self shouldWarnAboutErrors ifTrue: [self warnAboutErrors].
        errorDefinitions do: [:ea | ea loadOver: (self obsoletionFor: ea)]
displayingProgress: 'Reloading...'.
        additions do: [:ea | ea postloadOver: (self obsoletionFor: ea)]
displayingProgress: 'Initializing...']
                on: InMidstOfFileinNotification
                do: [:n | n resume: true]]
                        ensure: [self flushChangesFile]

Then revert the version after Widgets is loaded.

Thanks, Gary.

Re: Diff tools.

Colin Putney

On 15-Apr-08, at 9:09 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hey, that's cool!
>
> For those that don't have the time to load the code, here is a
> screenshot (sorry for the additional traffic, but since there was no
> other response to this mail, I think it's appropriate ;) )

Yes, very cool.

I wonder if this could be adapted for merging in Monticello 2.
Currently there are 3 text panes: one for what's in the image, one for
the version being merged in, and a third one that represents the
result of the merge. The user can choose one of the first two
versions, or enter something else entirely.

I wonder if it would be useful to do a merge tool with three
horizontal text panes, with the center pane as the result of the
merge. Then there could be easy comparison with either the left pane
or the right pane. Thoughts, ideas?

Colin

Re: Diff tools.

Juan Vuletich-4
Did I ever tell I did a very small change set that allows 32 bpp
StrikeFonts, and a set of free subpixel rendered fonts? Works on any
platform without any new plugin. It is what you need for this to look
really great (if you are not using FreeType). It is at
http://www.jvuletich.org/NiceFonts.html .

I can understand people not using it because they prefer FreeType. But I
can't understand how can somebody prefer those ugly fonts...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hey, that's cool!
>
> For those that don't have the time to load the code, here is a
> screenshot (sorry for the additional traffic, but since there was no
> other response to this mail, I think it's appropriate ;) )

> ...Screenshot removed...
>

> One thing I noticed is that in the text panes, for selected code the
> keyboard shortcuts do not work and the usual context menu is missing.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> BTW: I still have a problem loading or updating to versions beyond
> Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.301.mcz (even if there are no windows opened when
> debugger from which the image cannot recover.

Re: Diff tools.

Igor Stasenko
2008/4/16 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:
> Did I ever tell I did a very small change set that allows 32 bpp
> StrikeFonts, and a set of free subpixel rendered fonts? Works on any
> platform without any new plugin. It is what you need for this to look really
> great (if you are not using FreeType). It is at
> http://www.jvuletich.org/NiceFonts.html .

I'm aware of your changes concerning fonts.
Just one question, why it requires 32bpp , not 8bpp?
A raster font should be represented by a mask and 8bpp for mask pixels
is more than enough for representing font with fully opaque/fully
transparent and semi-transparent pixels. What you doing with rest 24
bits?

>  I can understand people not using it because they prefer FreeType. But I
> can't understand how can somebody prefer those ugly fonts...
>
>  Cheers,
>  Juan Vuletich
>
>  Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>

> > Hey, that's cool!
> >
> > For those that don't have the time to load the code, here is a screenshot
> (sorry for the additional traffic, but since there was no other response to
> this mail, I think it's appropriate ;) )

> > ...Screenshot removed...
> >

> > One thing I noticed is that in the text panes, for selected code the
> keyboard shortcuts do not work and the usual context menu is missing.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Adrian
> >
> > BTW: I still have a problem loading or updating to versions beyond
> Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.301.mcz (even if there are no windows opened when
> which the image cannot recover.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Diff tools.

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Igor,

I'd be happier if you actually used it, but...

It does not require BitBlt rule 41. It uses rules 28 and 34. So it uses
the 32 bits (actually it could work with 24, but never tried) to store
the full subpixel data. The Form in the font has the glyphs in black
with colored borders for subpixel rendering.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2008/4/16 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Did I ever tell I did a very small change set that allows 32 bpp
>> StrikeFonts, and a set of free subpixel rendered fonts? Works on any
>> platform without any new plugin. It is what you need for this to look really
>> great (if you are not using FreeType). It is at
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/NiceFonts.html .
>>

> I'm aware of your changes concerning fonts.
> Just one question, why it requires 32bpp , not 8bpp?
> A raster font should be represented by a mask and 8bpp for mask pixels
> is more than enough for representing font with fully opaque/fully
> transparent and semi-transparent pixels. What you doing with rest 24
> bits?
>

>>  I can understand people not using it because they prefer FreeType. But I
>> can't understand how can somebody prefer those ugly fonts...
>>
>>  Cheers,
>>  Juan Vuletich
>>
>>  Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>

>>> Hey, that's cool!
>>>
>>> For those that don't have the time to load the code, here is a screenshot
>>>
>> (sorry for the additional traffic, but since there was no other response to
>> this mail, I think it's appropriate ;) )

>>> ...Screenshot removed...
>>>

>>> One thing I noticed is that in the text panes, for selected code the
>>>
>> keyboard shortcuts do not work and the usual context menu is missing.
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian
>>>
>>> BTW: I still have a problem loading or updating to versions beyond
>>>
>> Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.301.mcz (even if there are no windows opened when
>> which the image cannot recover.

Re: Diff tools.

Igor Stasenko
2008/4/16 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Igor,
>
>  I'd be happier if you actually used it, but...
>
>  It does not require BitBlt rule 41. It uses rules 28 and 34. So it uses the
> 32 bits (actually it could work with 24, but never tried) to store the full
> subpixel data. The Form in the font has the glyphs in black with colored
> borders for subpixel rendering.

Yes, but that means that font will look fine only if you render black
text on white background.
For the rest 2^32-1 (font color variants) such representation is
completely broken.

>  Cheers,
>  Juan Vuletich
>

>  Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
> > 2008/4/16 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > > Did I ever tell I did a very small change set that allows 32 bpp
> > > StrikeFonts, and a set of free subpixel rendered fonts? Works on any
> > > platform without any new plugin. It is what you need for this to look
> really
> > > great (if you are not using FreeType). It is at
> > > http://www.jvuletich.org/NiceFonts.html .
> > >

> > I'm aware of your changes concerning fonts.
> > Just one question, why it requires 32bpp , not 8bpp?
> > A raster font should be represented by a mask and 8bpp for mask pixels
> > is more than enough for representing font with fully opaque/fully
> > transparent and semi-transparent pixels. What you doing with rest 24
> > bits?
> >

> > >  I can understand people not using it because they prefer FreeType. But
> > > can't understand how can somebody prefer those ugly fonts...
> > >
> > >  Cheers,
> > >  Juan Vuletich

> screenshot
> > > >

> > > (sorry for the additional traffic, but since there was no other response
> > > this mail, I think it's appropriate ;) )

> > > keyboard shortcuts do not work and the usual context menu is missing.

> > > Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.301.mcz (even if there are no windows opened when
> from
> > > which the image cannot recover.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Diff tools.

Juan Vuletich-4
I don't know if you are serious, but I guess that the screen shot at
http://www.jvuletich.org/NiceFonts.html shows clearly that using black
colored backgrounds as well as colored text on colored backgrounds is
not broken at all.

If you care to read the page, it says:

"For black text on colored backgrounds I started experimenting with
alpha blending (BitBlt rule 34). But I realized that rule 28 could do a
much better work. Rule 28 takes the min value between source and destiny
for each rgb component. So it will leave the background untouched except
for those pixels where the font wants something darker. There, the font
rules. It looks great."

"For doing sub pixel AA of colored text on colored background I believe
you need to render the font again. As I can't do that, I use whole pixel
AA (i.e. regular AA). So I prepared color maps. For example, to render a
red font, I prepared a color map that maps the different colors in the
font to red with different translucency. Then I display the text with

Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2008/4/16 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Igor,
>>
>>  I'd be happier if you actually used it, but...
>>
>>  It does not require BitBlt rule 41. It uses rules 28 and 34. So it uses the
>> 32 bits (actually it could work with 24, but never tried) to store the full
>> subpixel data. The Form in the font has the glyphs in black with colored
>> borders for subpixel rendering.
>>

> Yes, but that means that font will look fine only if you render black
> text on white background.
> For the rest 2^32-1 (font color variants) such representation is
> completely broken.
>

>>  Cheers,
>>  Juan Vuletich
>>

>>  Igor Stasenko wrote:

>> really

>>> I'm aware of your changes concerning fonts.
>>> Just one question, why it requires 32bpp , not 8bpp?
>>> A raster font should be represented by a mask and 8bpp for mask pixels
>>> is more than enough for representing font with fully opaque/fully
>>> transparent and semi-transparent pixels. What you doing with rest 24
>>> bits?

>> screenshot

>> from

Re: Diff tools.

Igor Stasenko
2008/4/16 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:

> I don't know if you are serious, but I guess that the screen shot at
> http://www.jvuletich.org/NiceFonts.html shows clearly that using black
> colored backgrounds as well as colored text on colored backgrounds is not
> broken at all.
>
>  If you care to read the page, it says:
>
>  "For black text on colored backgrounds I started experimenting with alpha
> blending (BitBlt rule 34). But I realized that rule 28 could do a much
> better work. Rule 28 takes the min value between source and destiny for each
> rgb component. So it will leave the background untouched except for those
> pixels where the font wants something darker. There, the font rules. It
> looks great."
>
>  "For doing sub pixel AA of colored text on colored background I believe you
> need to render the font again. As I can't do that, I use whole pixel AA
> (i.e. regular AA). So I prepared color maps. For example, to render a red
> font, I prepared a color map that maps the different colors in the font to
> red with different translucency. Then I display the text with alpha blending
> (BitBlt rule 34)."

Yes, i had read this page. Still i can't understand, why you need
32bpp for font bitmaps?
Also, subpixel AA works fine only for TFT monitors, while on CRT or on
display with different color matrix it may look not correct.
I think, that without correct information about display media you
should not use subpixel AA.

>  Cheers,
>  Juan Vuletich
>
>  Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
> > 2008/4/16 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > > Hi Igor,
> > >
> > >  I'd be happier if you actually used it, but...
> > >
> > >  It does not require BitBlt rule 41. It uses rules 28 and 34. So it uses
> the
> > > 32 bits (actually it could work with 24, but never tried) to store the
> full
> > > subpixel data. The Form in the font has the glyphs in black with colored
> > > borders for subpixel rendering.
> > >

> > Yes, but that means that font will look fine only if you render black
> > text on white background.
> > For the rest 2^32-1 (font color variants) such representation is
> > completely broken.
> >

> > >  Cheers,
> > >  Juan Vuletich

> look
> > > > >

> > > really

> But

> > > screenshot

> response

> the

> missing.

> when
> debugger
> > > > >

> > > from

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

RE: Diff tools.

Gary Chambers-4
+1 against ugly fonts!

We use FreeType because of licensing around the fonts our clients want to
use. Up to them to supply the fonts (so needs to be dynamic based upon the
"user"'s pc/device).

It is good we have choices in font approaches. Could do with a thorough
refactoring now though (on an inclusive basis).

Regards,
Gary.

Easy. Subpixel AA works by considering each subpixel independently of the
others. So you need to specify not just brightness for each pixel but for
each r g and b component. That gives 24 bpp. It could work with 24 bits
instead of 32. I just happen to use 32.

I agree. Without correct information about display media you should not
use subpixel AA.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> Yes, i had read this page. Still i can't understand, why you need
> 32bpp for font bitmaps?
> Also, subpixel AA works fine only for TFT monitors, while on CRT or on
> display with different color matrix it may look not correct.
> I think, that without correct information about display media you
> should not use subpixel AA.

RE: Diff tools.

Juan Vuletich-4
:)