Difference between VM and image

robert

Hi,

I am trying to find out what the difference between an VM and an Image is when using Pharo.

Can anybody give some hints (links to docs?)

Thx

Ciao robertj

Re: Difference between VM and image

Stéphane Ducasse
Hello robert

this is explained in Pharo by Example that you can find at http://books.pharo.org

Image = snapshot of Pharo memory (contains object including class, method, stack…)
VM = execution engine of image

S.

On 17 Aug 2020, at 11:45, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to find out what the difference between an VM and an Image is when using Pharo.
Can anybody give some hints (links to docs?)

Thx

Ciao robertj

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Difference between VM and image

Pierce Ng-3
On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 11:45:46AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am trying to find out what the difference between an VM and an Image is
> when using Pharo.

An image is like a computer game that can save its state to disk. The VM
is for running the game. With a fresh image, you start the game with a
clean slate. With a saved image, you restart the game where you last
left it.

And programming in Pharo is usually as enjoyable as playing a computer
game. :-)

Pierce