Digest from slack to the mailing list?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Should we have a digest from slack to a mailing list?
We are already losing messages

Stephan

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

Max Leske
I don’t think that’s necessary. Important stuff will still be sent via mail and be documented in issues on fogbugz. That’s my personal feeling at least.

Cheers,
Max

> On 21 Nov 2015, at 18:05, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Should we have a digest from slack to a mailing list?
> We are already losing messages
>
> Stephan

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

kilon.alios
I think its important to have, I have already learned a ton via Slack and I have marked several posts there are favorites so that I wont lose them .

The Slack experiment, even though I have been very skeptical at first, has been a huge success and it can easily compete with the importance of the mailing list. Merging the two would be a huge win for our community.

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 7:06 PM Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Should we have a digest from slack to a mailing list?
We are already losing messages

Stephan

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

Marcus Denker-4
Honestly, who has the time to read all this?

I never read the old discussions that happened when I was off in Slack.
(And I try to not read everything on this list, too).

Just because if I would read everything, I would not have the time to actually
*do* anything.

Marcus

On 22/11/15 13:26, Marcus Denker wrote:
> Honestly, who has the time to read all this?

That's not the point. The importance is searchability. It is essential
to be able to follow design discussions from 10-15 years ago to
understand how to fix things now. That information needs to be openly
available. Putting it all in a full text search engine with a web
interface might work too.

On 22/11/15 12:14, Max Leske wrote:
> I don’t think that’s necessary. Important stuff will still be sent via mail and be documented in issues on fogbugz. That’s my personal feeling at least.

I don't see that happening at all. We don't publish design notes
(abstracts from design discussions) and we only track simple issues.

Stephan

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

stepharo
Yes this would be good.
People should understand that important discussions should be via the
mailing-list.
Emails are good because you can consume them the way you want.
I simply cannot be connected all the time. So emails are good because I
can process them
when I decide.
Slack is good for more interactive session around debugger and things
like that.

Stef

Le 21/11/15 18:05, Stephan Eggermont a écrit :
> Should we have a digest from slack to a mailing list?
> We are already losing messages
>
> Stephan

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

kilon.alios
Just to clear something up , because I see people in slack saying goodbye, or "I cant reply right now I have something to do" . Slack is not just a real time chat, it keeps messages inside a history of 10 thousand messages. So that means you can log in Slack at any time and not lose a message. There is no reason for you to be online all time, no reason to say goodbye, goodmorning , goodafternoon. You can come and go as you please the exact same way as the mailing list.

The problem arises when we exceed 10k messages, the old ones get lost and I think having a place to store them is a good idea.

Also what is important is in the eye of the beholder, for example I dont care about any discussion about web development , its just does not interest me or database coding or many other things. I have learned to filter out the messages I dont care about in the mailing list and just reject them. Slack is same story, I quickly glance through its history and I can search the messages that interest me using the search bar , I can star messages that I want to keep, and I can comment on existing messages / code snippets which create a thread about that message.

In the end its impossible to keep the community in one place but to have a central hub that collects all the little gems can be quite useful.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 3:46 PM stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes this would be good.
People should understand that important discussions should be via the
mailing-list.
Emails are good because you can consume them the way you want.
I simply cannot be connected all the time. So emails are good because I
can process them
when I decide.
Slack is good for more interactive session around debugger and things
like that.

Stef

Le 21/11/15 18:05, Stephan Eggermont a écrit :
> Should we have a digest from slack to a mailing list?
> We are already losing messages
>
> Stephan

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

EuanM
I agree - if we can have each 24 hours of chat archived to somewhere
that provides a free-text search, that would be very good.

Up until now, I've been grabbing, editting and posting chats I find of
interest and importance to me.  And it seems to lend itself to design
discussions.  What it's not very good at, atm, is discussion
threading.  It would be great to be able to set your typing as
belonging to a thread., so that when it get sucked out and archived
that the threads were segregated.

Does someone have a server that could receive a text dump of all
recent Slack messages every 12 (or 24, or 6) hours, and then make it
available for indexing by Google et al, and querying (via the search
engines) by our dev base?

On 22 November 2015 at 13:57, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to clear something up , because I see people in slack saying goodbye,
> or "I cant reply right now I have something to do" . Slack is not just a
> real time chat, it keeps messages inside a history of 10 thousand messages.
> So that means you can log in Slack at any time and not lose a message. There
> is no reason for you to be online all time, no reason to say goodbye,
> goodmorning , goodafternoon. You can come and go as you please the exact
> same way as the mailing list.
>
> The problem arises when we exceed 10k messages, the old ones get lost and I
> think having a place to store them is a good idea.
>
> Also what is important is in the eye of the beholder, for example I dont
> care about any discussion about web development , its just does not interest
> me or database coding or many other things. I have learned to filter out the
> messages I dont care about in the mailing list and just reject them. Slack
> is same story, I quickly glance through its history and I can search the
> messages that interest me using the search bar , I can star messages that I
> want to keep, and I can comment on existing messages / code snippets which
> create a thread about that message.
>
> In the end its impossible to keep the community in one place but to have a
> central hub that collects all the little gems can be quite useful.
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 3:46 PM stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes this would be good.
>> People should understand that important discussions should be via the
>> mailing-list.
>> Emails are good because you can consume them the way you want.
>> I simply cannot be connected all the time. So emails are good because I
>> can process them
>> when I decide.
>> Slack is good for more interactive session around debugger and things
>> like that.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> Le 21/11/15 18:05, Stephan Eggermont a écrit :
>> > Should we have a digest from slack to a mailing list?
>> > We are already losing messages
>> >
>> > Stephan

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

Uko2
The problem is, that it is not that easy to create a “digest” from Slack, as there is no kind of grouping. Either you have to detect similar words in discussion, or you have to simply export everything. I don’t know whether it makes sense to just compose a huge email of all discussions, but we can try to do that.

Cheers.
Uko

> On 23 Nov 2015, at 00:21, EuanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I agree - if we can have each 24 hours of chat archived to somewhere
> that provides a free-text search, that would be very good.
>
> Up until now, I've been grabbing, editting and posting chats I find of
> interest and importance to me.  And it seems to lend itself to design
> discussions.  What it's not very good at, atm, is discussion
> threading.  It would be great to be able to set your typing as
> belonging to a thread., so that when it get sucked out and archived
> that the threads were segregated.
>
> Does someone have a server that could receive a text dump of all
> recent Slack messages every 12 (or 24, or 6) hours, and then make it
> available for indexing by Google et al, and querying (via the search
> engines) by our dev base?
>

> On 22 November 2015 at 13:57, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just to clear something up , because I see people in slack saying goodbye,
>> or "I cant reply right now I have something to do" . Slack is not just a
>> real time chat, it keeps messages inside a history of 10 thousand messages.
>> So that means you can log in Slack at any time and not lose a message. There
>> is no reason for you to be online all time, no reason to say goodbye,
>> goodmorning , goodafternoon. You can come and go as you please the exact
>> same way as the mailing list.
>>
>> The problem arises when we exceed 10k messages, the old ones get lost and I
>> think having a place to store them is a good idea.
>>
>> Also what is important is in the eye of the beholder, for example I dont
>> care about any discussion about web development , its just does not interest
>> me or database coding or many other things. I have learned to filter out the
>> messages I dont care about in the mailing list and just reject them. Slack
>> is same story, I quickly glance through its history and I can search the
>> messages that interest me using the search bar , I can star messages that I
>> want to keep, and I can comment on existing messages / code snippets which
>> create a thread about that message.
>>
>> In the end its impossible to keep the community in one place but to have a
>> central hub that collects all the little gems can be quite useful.
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 3:46 PM stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes this would be good.
>>> People should understand that important discussions should be via the
>>> mailing-list.
>>> Emails are good because you can consume them the way you want.
>>> I simply cannot be connected all the time. So emails are good because I
>>> can process them
>>> when I decide.
>>> Slack is good for more interactive session around debugger and things
>>> like that.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

EuanM
I have been talking to the Slack dev team and they assure me that
threading is on its way - as a priority.

I am happy to manually curate threads if someone gets a 24hour dump to
log files working.

The best way to do this would be to have teams of curators per
channel, each doing a little curation periodically on a rota per
channel basis.

This is an ideal task for people still getting up to speed with Pharo
internals.  It is a great way to be exposed to stuff you don't
understand, and put your mind around it.

This provide a starter slope for future contributors.

On 23 November 2015 at 08:14, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is, that it is not that easy to create a “digest” from Slack, as there is no kind of grouping. Either you have to detect similar words in discussion, or you have to simply export everything. I don’t know whether it makes sense to just compose a huge email of all discussions, but we can try to do that.
>
> Cheers.
> Uko
>
>> On 23 Nov 2015, at 00:21, EuanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I agree - if we can have each 24 hours of chat archived to somewhere
>> that provides a free-text search, that would be very good.
>>
>> Up until now, I've been grabbing, editting and posting chats I find of
>> interest and importance to me.  And it seems to lend itself to design
>> discussions.  What it's not very good at, atm, is discussion
>> threading.  It would be great to be able to set your typing as
>> belonging to a thread., so that when it get sucked out and archived
>> that the threads were segregated.
>>
>> Does someone have a server that could receive a text dump of all
>> recent Slack messages every 12 (or 24, or 6) hours, and then make it
>> available for indexing by Google et al, and querying (via the search
>> engines) by our dev base?
>>

>> On 22 November 2015 at 13:57, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Just to clear something up , because I see people in slack saying goodbye,
>>> or "I cant reply right now I have something to do" . Slack is not just a
>>> real time chat, it keeps messages inside a history of 10 thousand messages.
>>> So that means you can log in Slack at any time and not lose a message. There
>>> is no reason for you to be online all time, no reason to say goodbye,
>>> goodmorning , goodafternoon. You can come and go as you please the exact
>>> same way as the mailing list.
>>>
>>> The problem arises when we exceed 10k messages, the old ones get lost and I
>>> think having a place to store them is a good idea.
>>>
>>> Also what is important is in the eye of the beholder, for example I dont
>>> care about any discussion about web development , its just does not interest
>>> me or database coding or many other things. I have learned to filter out the
>>> messages I dont care about in the mailing list and just reject them. Slack
>>> is same story, I quickly glance through its history and I can search the
>>> messages that interest me using the search bar , I can star messages that I
>>> want to keep, and I can comment on existing messages / code snippets which
>>> create a thread about that message.
>>>
>>> In the end its impossible to keep the community in one place but to have a
>>> central hub that collects all the little gems can be quite useful.

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

EuanM
And of course, we can stop doing it manually once threading arrives.

On 30 November 2015 at 03:52, EuanM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been talking to the Slack dev team and they assure me that
> threading is on its way - as a priority.
>
> I am happy to manually curate threads if someone gets a 24hour dump to
> log files working.
>
> The best way to do this would be to have teams of curators per
> channel, each doing a little curation periodically on a rota per
> channel basis.
>
> This is an ideal task for people still getting up to speed with Pharo
> internals.  It is a great way to be exposed to stuff you don't
> understand, and put your mind around it.
>
> This provide a starter slope for future contributors.
>
> On 23 November 2015 at 08:14, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The problem is, that it is not that easy to create a “digest” from Slack, as there is no kind of grouping. Either you have to detect similar words in discussion, or you have to simply export everything. I don’t know whether it makes sense to just compose a huge email of all discussions, but we can try to do that.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Uko
>>
>>> On 23 Nov 2015, at 00:21, EuanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree - if we can have each 24 hours of chat archived to somewhere
>>> that provides a free-text search, that would be very good.
>>>
>>> Up until now, I've been grabbing, editting and posting chats I find of
>>> interest and importance to me.  And it seems to lend itself to design
>>> discussions.  What it's not very good at, atm, is discussion
>>> threading.  It would be great to be able to set your typing as
>>> belonging to a thread., so that when it get sucked out and archived
>>> that the threads were segregated.
>>>
>>> Does someone have a server that could receive a text dump of all
>>> recent Slack messages every 12 (or 24, or 6) hours, and then make it
>>> available for indexing by Google et al, and querying (via the search
>>> engines) by our dev base?

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

philippe.back@highoctane.be

And I've not been looking at Slack that much.

Digest would be we nice indeed.

Phil

On Nov 30, 2015 4:53 AM, "EuanM" <[hidden email]> wrote:
And of course, we can stop doing it manually once threading arrives.

On 30 November 2015 at 03:52, EuanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have been talking to the Slack dev team and they assure me that
> threading is on its way - as a priority.
>
> I am happy to manually curate threads if someone gets a 24hour dump to
> log files working.
>
> The best way to do this would be to have teams of curators per
> channel, each doing a little curation periodically on a rota per
> channel basis.
>
> This is an ideal task for people still getting up to speed with Pharo
> internals.  It is a great way to be exposed to stuff you don't
> understand, and put your mind around it.
>
> This provide a starter slope for future contributors.
>
> On 23 November 2015 at 08:14, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The problem is, that it is not that easy to create a “digest” from Slack, as there is no kind of grouping. Either you have to detect similar words in discussion, or you have to simply export everything. I don’t know whether it makes sense to just compose a huge email of all discussions, but we can try to do that.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Uko
>>
>>> On 23 Nov 2015, at 00:21, EuanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree - if we can have each 24 hours of chat archived to somewhere
>>> that provides a free-text search, that would be very good.
>>>
>>> Up until now, I've been grabbing, editting and posting chats I find of
>>> interest and importance to me.  And it seems to lend itself to design
>>> discussions.  What it's not very good at, atm, is discussion
>>> threading.  It would be great to be able to set your typing as
>>> belonging to a thread., so that when it get sucked out and archived
>>> that the threads were segregated.
>>>
>>> Does someone have a server that could receive a text dump of all
>>> recent Slack messages every 12 (or 24, or 6) hours, and then make it
>>> available for indexing by Google et al, and querying (via the search
>>> engines) by our dev base?

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

Gastón Dall' Oglio
Hello.

Just a thought ... There's a automated tool for do that (I have not tried yet)

It send a DM to interested users, but maybe using Outgoing WebHooks the DM can be forwarded to some service to publish it.

And I've not been looking at Slack that much.

Digest would be we nice indeed.

Phil

On Nov 30, 2015 4:53 AM, "EuanM" <[hidden email]> wrote:
And of course, we can stop doing it manually once threading arrives.

On 30 November 2015 at 03:52, EuanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have been talking to the Slack dev team and they assure me that
> threading is on its way - as a priority.
>
> I am happy to manually curate threads if someone gets a 24hour dump to
> log files working.
>
> The best way to do this would be to have teams of curators per
> channel, each doing a little curation periodically on a rota per
> channel basis.
>
> This is an ideal task for people still getting up to speed with Pharo
> internals.  It is a great way to be exposed to stuff you don't
> understand, and put your mind around it.
>
> This provide a starter slope for future contributors.
>
> On 23 November 2015 at 08:14, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The problem is, that it is not that easy to create a “digest” from Slack, as there is no kind of grouping. Either you have to detect similar words in discussion, or you have to simply export everything. I don’t know whether it makes sense to just compose a huge email of all discussions, but we can try to do that.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Uko
>>
>>> On 23 Nov 2015, at 00:21, EuanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree - if we can have each 24 hours of chat archived to somewhere
>>> that provides a free-text search, that would be very good.
>>>
>>> Up until now, I've been grabbing, editting and posting chats I find of
>>> interest and importance to me.  And it seems to lend itself to design
>>> discussions.  What it's not very good at, atm, is discussion
>>> threading.  It would be great to be able to set your typing as
>>> belonging to a thread., so that when it get sucked out and archived
>>> that the threads were segregated.
>>>
>>> Does someone have a server that could receive a text dump of all
>>> recent Slack messages every 12 (or 24, or 6) hours, and then make it
>>> available for indexing by Google et al, and querying (via the search
>>> engines) by our dev base?

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

Esteban A. Maringolo
Thanks Gaston

I created the Pharo Slack's bot for it, but I'm getting a connection
refused error when trying to set up the SlackDigest.com integration.
I'll try later.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Hello.
>
> Just a thought ... There's a automated tool for do that (I have not tried
> yet)
>  http://slackdigest.com/digest.html
>
> It send a DM to interested users, but maybe using Outgoing WebHooks the DM
> can be forwarded to some service to publish it.

> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> And I've not been looking at Slack that much.
>>
>> Digest would be we nice indeed.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> On Nov 30, 2015 4:53 AM, "EuanM" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> And of course, we can stop doing it manually once threading arrives.

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

Gastón Dall' Oglio
You are welcome.

Or you can use the API directly, but I do not know if it is paid or if you are limited to 10k latest messages

Regards

Thanks Gaston

I created the Pharo Slack's bot for it, but I'm getting a connection
refused error when trying to set up the SlackDigest.com integration.
I'll try later.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Hello.
>
> Just a thought ... There's a automated tool for do that (I have not tried
> yet)
http://slackdigest.com/digest.html

> It send a DM to interested users, but maybe using Outgoing WebHooks the DM
> can be forwarded to some service to publish it.

> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> And I've not been looking at Slack that much.
>>
>> Digest would be we nice indeed.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> On Nov 30, 2015 4:53 AM, "EuanM" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> And of course, we can stop doing it manually once threading arrives.

Re: Digest from slack to the mailing list?

EuanM
I grabbed the message history manually today.  The elapsed time was 2 hours!

You need administrator privileges to use the API even to download the
message history in a more direct way.

Could someone please add me as a Slack administrator, and I will
curate the message history (along with any other willing volunteers)
on an ongoing basis until we have automated the history-grab and Slack
has implemented threading.

We also need a server on which to store the raw and the curated histories.

One option would be to add new Pharo mailing lists: ones which
accepted a history log per day.  This would automatically give us the
same replication-to-web that the emails receive.  This in turn
provides us with good web searchability courtesy of Google, etc.

Manually handling the backlog will be time-consuming, so if someone
could assist me in automating the process, that would be lovely.

For any community members not yet ready to contribute code, but who
have time available, this is an ideal role to gain experience of the
community, to help the community, and to discover what's going on in
the core development team on a day-to-day basis.