DirectX 8 Type Library converting VB example to Dolphin

DirectX 8 Type Library converting VB example to Dolphin

Christoph J. Bachinger
hi volks,
I'm still trying converting vb code to dolphin. Please see this VB-Code
below.
As I understand this code there is a lot of function calls in VB.
After searching around where to find this functions in Dolphin. I found
the comment look at the VB-Objectbrowser "DxVBLibA -> D3DXMATH_MATRIX"
for further functions.
But in the Dolphin DX8 Wrapper Classes I can't find this class. Does
anybody know where to find the corresponding methods (class).

Any hints.
Thanks in forward
cjb

Dim matWorld As D3DMATRIX
Dim matTemp As D3DMATRIX

D3DXMatrixIdentity matWorld 'Reset our world matrix
D3DXMatrixIdentity matTemp
D3DXMatrixRotationX matTemp, RotateAngle * (pi / 180)
D3DXMatrixMultiply matWorld, matWorld, matTemp
D3DXMatrixIdentity matTemp
D3DXMatrixRotationZ matTemp, RotateAngle * (pi / 180)
D3DXMatrixMultiply matWorld, matWorld, matTemp
D3DDevice.SetTransform D3DTS_WORLD, matWorld.

Re: DirectX 8 Type Library converting VB example to Dolphin

Andy Bower-3
Christoph,

> I'm still trying converting vb code to dolphin. Please see this
> VB-Code below.  As I understand this code there is a lot of function
> calls in VB.  After searching around where to find this functions in
> Dolphin. I found the comment look at the VB-Objectbrowser "DxVBLibA
> -> D3DXMATH_MATRIX" for further functions.  But in the Dolphin DX8
> Wrapper Classes I can't find this class. Does anybody know where to
> find the corresponding methods (class).

Doing a Google search for D3DXMatrixIdentity brought me to tyhe
following page. This indicates that, in DX9 at least, there is a
separate DLL (d3dx9_26.dll) that contains these helper functions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx
9_c/directx/graphics/reference/d3dx/functions/math/d3dxmatrixidentity.as

I couldn't find any reference to the DX8 equivalent DLL since the
archived MSDN pages for DX8 don't mention the DLL name alongside the
function descriptions at all. Try looking for a similarly named DLL on
your machine and see if you can create an ExternalLibrary subclass for
it.

Best regards

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: DirectX 8 Type Library converting VB example to Dolphin

Andy Bower-3
Christoph,

> I couldn't find any reference to the DX8 equivalent DLL since the
> archived MSDN pages for DX8 don't mention the DLL name alongside the
> function descriptions at all. Try looking for a similarly named DLL on
> your machine and see if you can create an ExternalLibrary subclass for
> it.

I think the functions can be found in D3D8.DLL.

Best regards

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: DirectX 8 Type Library converting VB example to Dolphin

Andy Bower-3
Christoph,

> > I couldn't find any reference to the DX8 equivalent DLL since the
> > archived MSDN pages for DX8 don't mention the DLL name alongside the
> > function descriptions at all. Try looking for a similarly named DLL
> > on your machine and see if you can create an ExternalLibrary
> > subclass for it.
>
> I think the functions can be found in D3D8.DLL.

Sorry, I spoke before actually looking in my image (always a bad idea).
I have the functions you mention in an ExternalLibrary class,
D3DXMATH_MATRIXLibrary that was generated automatically by the Dolphin
ActiveX wizard. So the following code works as expected in a workspace:

m := D3DMATRIX new.
D3DXMATH_MATRIXLibrary default d3dxMatrixIdentity: m.

m- > a D3DMATRIX(m11=1.0 m12=0.0 m13=0.0 m14=0.0 m21=0.0 m22=1.0
m23=0.0 m24=0.0 m31=0.0 m32=0.0 m33=1.0 m34=0.0 m41=0.0 m42=0.0 m43=0.0
m44=1.0)

Now, admittedly this is in D6 so there may be some problem generating
the same class in D5. In any case, the DLL filename actually appears to
be DX8VB.DLL and not D3D8.DLL (which is presumably the C/C++ version).

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: DirectX 8 Type Library converting VB example to Dolphin

Christoph J. Bachinger
Andy,

> Sorry, I spoke before actually looking in my image (always a bad idea).
> I have the functions you mention in an ExternalLibrary class,
> D3DXMATH_MATRIXLibrary that was generated automatically by the Dolphin
> ActiveX wizard. So the following code works as expected in a workspace:
>
> m := D3DMATRIX new.
> D3DXMATH_MATRIXLibrary default d3dxMatrixIdentity: m.
>
> m- > a D3DMATRIX(m11=1.0 m12=0.0 m13=0.0 m14=0.0 m21=0.0 m22=1.0
> m23=0.0 m24=0.0 m31=0.0 m32=0.0 m33=1.0 m34=0.0 m41=0.0 m42=0.0 m43=0.0
> m44=1.0)
>
> Now, admittedly this is in D6 so there may be some problem generating
> the same class in D5. In any case, the DLL filename actually appears to
> be DX8VB.DLL and not D3D8.DLL (which is presumably the C/C++ version).

It seems that the D6 ActiveX Wizard does better work as the D5 ones :).
Because on my System I'm missing the D3DXMATH_MATRIXLibrary. Would you
be so kind to file out the class and send it to me.

I looked under ExternalLibrary there is not any D3DX..Library. If there
are other ones in D6 it would be nice to get them also.

Or maybe if it is to much work I would pay a D6-Beta version in forward
or contribute to the Beta-programm. To create it myself.

thanks for your deep investigation
cjb

Re: DirectX 8 Type Library converting VB example to Dolphin

Andy Bower-3
Christoph,

> It seems that the D6 ActiveX Wizard does better work as the D5 ones
> :). Because on my System I'm missing the D3DXMATH_MATRIXLibrary.
> Would you be so kind to file out the class and send it to me.
>
> I looked under ExternalLibrary there is not any D3DX..Library. If
> there are other ones in D6 it would be nice to get them also.

I'll zip up my DX8 directory and e-mail it to you.

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: DirectX 8 Type Library converting VB example to Dolphin

Christoph J. Bachinger
Andy,

 > I'll zip up my DX8 directory and e-mail it to you.

Thanks for help and the email

cjb