Disabling GTSpotter dive in

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

is it possible to disable GTSpotter dive in functionality when the result would be empty?

I've tried looking at GTSpotterStep>>canDiveIn: but it seems that no matter what there will be at least one processor (at least the "parent" one, which is weird).

Also there are two spotter extensions directly on Object (Pharo 6.1)
* spotterForRenderingShapesFor:
* spotterRePropertiesFor:

which are always applied... but canDiveIn: was returing true even when I disabled them.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter

Re: Disabling GTSpotter dive in

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I am not sure I understand the issue. Can you re-explain it please?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Disabling GTSpotter dive in

Peter Uhnak
Certainly.

Basically I want to avoid a situation, where diving in would result in an empty spotter:

So instead I would like to remove the dive in capability (both the icon, and the action), when the result will be empty. (And of course keep it if there will be something).

Ideally it should be possible to define it in the "parent" step, because sometimes I know there will be no further steps, and sometimes the result is simply empty (in which case I might still want to show that there are zero children).

Thanks,
Peter

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Disabling GTSpotter dive in

Peter Uhnak
So I imagine something like the following

spotterFieldsFor: aStep
<spotterOrder: 20>
^ aStep listProcessor
title: 'Fields';
canDiveIn: [ false "or some dynamic condition" ];

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Disabling GTSpotter dive in

Tudor Girba-2
That can be an option.

Doru

> On Mar 19, 2018, at 9:52 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So I imagine something like the following
>
> spotterFieldsFor: aStep
> <spotterOrder: 20>
> ^ aStep listProcessor
> title: 'Fields';
> canDiveIn: [ false "or some dynamic condition" ];
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 9:05 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Certainly.
>
> Basically I want to avoid a situation, where diving in would result in an empty spotter:
>
> <image.png>
>
> <image.png>
>

> So instead I would like to remove the dive in capability (both the icon, and the action), when the result will be empty. (And of course keep it if there will be something).
>
> Ideally it should be possible to define it in the "parent" step, because sometimes I know there will be no further steps, and sometimes the result is simply empty (in which case I might still want to show that there are zero children).
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 10:01 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure I understand the issue. Can you re-explain it please?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> > On Mar 16, 2018, at 8:02 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > correction:  spotterForRenderingShapesFor: is not in Pharo 6.1 (it's added by Roassal2GT)
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 8:01 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it possible to disable GTSpotter dive in functionality when the result would be empty?
> >
> > I've tried looking at GTSpotterStep>>canDiveIn: but it seems that no matter what there will be at least one processor (at least the "parent" one, which is weird).
> >
> > Also there are two spotter extensions directly on Object (Pharo 6.1)
> > * spotterForRenderingShapesFor:
> > * spotterRePropertiesFor:
> >
> > which are always applied... but canDiveIn: was returing true even when I disabled them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Obvious things are difficult to teach."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

“The smaller and more pervasive the hardware becomes, the more physical the software gets."

Re: Disabling GTSpotter dive in

Ben Coman

On 19 March 2018 at 16:05, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
Certainly.

Basically I want to avoid a situation, where diving in would result in an empty spotter:

So instead I would like to remove the dive in capability (both the icon, and the action), when the result will be empty. (And of course keep it if there will be something).

Rather than removing the icon, please consider modifying the icon to include a red cross or similar, with a tooltip indicating no results.
I believe that is more explicit than an absent icon.

cheers -ben