Disconnecting instance variables from screen objects

Disconnecting instance variables from screen objects

Totally Objects-3
Hi.

I am prototyping an iPad app using 8.5.2 and am using the 'assign to an instance variable' option with some of the screen objects so that the controller can access them easily. However, if I change anything, I can't seem to be able to release the instance variable. As an example. I have a text entry called 'textEntry' I assign this to an instance variable called userNameEntry. If I delete the screen object and replace it with a new object called userNameEntryBox, the deletion doesn't seem to release the instance variable so that I can re-use it.

Can anyone explain how I do this?

Thanks in advance.

David

Re: Disconnecting instance variables from screen objects

jtuchel

David,

what tool exactly are you using? It sounds a bit like WindowBuilder, but there, unselecting the little checkbox next to the widget name entry field should regenerate the access methods as self subpartNamed... , so you can easily remove the instance avriables, WB does not delete inst vars, however.

Unfortunately, I am not sure I completely understand your description...

Joachim
Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2013 13:13:09 UTC+1 schrieb Totally Objects. W

Hi.

I am prototyping an iPad app using 8.5.2 and am using the 'assign to an instance variable' option with some of the screen objects so that the controller can access them easily. However, if I change anything, I can't seem to be able to release the instance variable. As an example. I have a text entry called 'textEntry' I assign this to an instance variable called userNameEntry. If I delete the screen object and replace it with a new object called userNameEntryBox, the deletion doesn't seem to release the instance variable so that I can re-use it.

Can anyone explain how I do this?

Thanks in advance.

David

Re: Disconnecting instance variables from screen objects

Totally Objects-3
Joachim

I am using the VisualAge Visual Editor when creating the windows. There I give a part a name. I then create an instance variable to hold the part. Using the button in the code browser, I pull up a list of visual objects, select one, right click and select - assign an instance variable. When I do that, I can then access the part by sending messages to the instance variable. In my controller, which holds the view, I can say - self view myPart object: 'This is a test' rather than directing the message to the part itself. However, once I have assigned an instance variable to the part, I cannot find a way of releasing the relationship. That's what I need help on.

David

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:40:53 PM UTC, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Marten Feldtmann-2
Assign to <instance variable> and then select <None> instead of a variable name