Discord server ownership

kilon.alios
Hey there, as you may or may not know I am the person to blame for starting the Pharo server in Discord , out of curiousity at first then it grew up to our main online chat. Unfortunately I have been using Pharo , less and less lately because for better or worse the libraries I depend on are based on Python and C++ (Blender and Unreal ) so I was intending to transfer ownership of the Server for some time now as the fair thing to do.

So as of this moment the owner of the discord server is no longer me but Esteban Lorenzano , so he is the person to bother... sorry I mean address , with any of your ideas , remarks etc from now on.

It was a pleasure to see the community embracing Discord so fast and of course I will be still around as an Admin trying to do my small part in sharing my love for Pharo with newcomers.

A sever owner  essentially has full privileges . Technically I gave admins every privilege but one  which I did not understood what it was so I left it be. While on the other hand channel admins (that was my idea for allowing me to be more lazy) have full privileges only for the channel they are admins of.

I suspect that Esteban eventually will transfer ownership to the Pharo board but since he is THE DUDE for anything Pharo I decided he was the right person to get the crown , the glory and the money that come with being a Discord Server owner.

Goodbye and thank you for all the fish :)

Re: Discord server ownership

Uko2
Esteban is going to be excited about this :)

> On 25 May 2017, at 21:29, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey there, as you may or may not know I am the person to blame for starting the Pharo server in Discord , out of curiousity at first then it grew up to our main online chat. Unfortunately I have been using Pharo , less and less lately because for better or worse the libraries I depend on are based on Python and C++ (Blender and Unreal ) so I was intending to transfer ownership of the Server for some time now as the fair thing to do.
>
> So as of this moment the owner of the discord server is no longer me but Esteban Lorenzano , so he is the person to bother... sorry I mean address , with any of your ideas , remarks etc from now on.
>
> It was a pleasure to see the community embracing Discord so fast and of course I will be still around as an Admin trying to do my small part in sharing my love for Pharo with newcomers.
>
> A sever owner  essentially has full privileges . Technically I gave admins every privilege but one  which I did not understood what it was so I left it be. While on the other hand channel admins (that was my idea for allowing me to be more lazy) have full privileges only for the channel they are admins of.
>
> I suspect that Esteban eventually will transfer ownership to the Pharo board but since he is THE DUDE for anything Pharo I decided he was the right person to get the crown , the glory and the money that come with being a Discord Server owner.
>
> Goodbye and thank you for all the fish :)

Re: Discord server ownership

Esteban A. Maringolo
So you put us all into this gaming chatroom and now you leave. Good move. ;-)

I hope to see you back in the mailing list and chat server (whatever
it is we use at that moment).

Regards!
Esteban A. Maringolo

> Esteban is going to be excited about this :)
>
>> On 25 May 2017, at 21:29, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey there, as you may or may not know I am the person to blame for starting the Pharo server in Discord , out of curiousity at first then it grew up to our main online chat. Unfortunately I have been using Pharo , less and less lately because for better or worse the libraries I depend on are based on Python and C++ (Blender and Unreal ) so I was intending to transfer ownership of the Server for some time now as the fair thing to do.
>>
>> So as of this moment the owner of the discord server is no longer me but Esteban Lorenzano , so he is the person to bother... sorry I mean address , with any of your ideas , remarks etc from now on.
>>
>> It was a pleasure to see the community embracing Discord so fast and of course I will be still around as an Admin trying to do my small part in sharing my love for Pharo with newcomers.
>>
>> A sever owner  essentially has full privileges . Technically I gave admins every privilege but one  which I did not understood what it was so I left it be. While on the other hand channel admins (that was my idea for allowing me to be more lazy) have full privileges only for the channel they are admins of.
>>
>> I suspect that Esteban eventually will transfer ownership to the Pharo board but since he is THE DUDE for anything Pharo I decided he was the right person to get the crown , the glory and the money that come with being a Discord Server owner.
>>
>> Goodbye and thank you for all the fish :)

Goodbye and thank you for all the fish :)

Re: Discord server ownership

kilon.alios
"Esteban is going to be excited about this :)"

he certainly enjoys the conveniences of his new powers :)

"So you put us all into this gaming chatroom and now you leave. Good move. ;-)

I hope to see you back in the mailing list and chat server (whatever
it is we use at that moment).

Regards!"

hehe good point. I can understand people who did not want to move from Slack , its the same reason I started with Discord , none of projects I am interested uses Slack , many of them use Discord. Actually documentation and wikis are my number 1 choice. Its easy to get lost inside a mailing lists and online chat content. Even with threads and search facilities there is so much great content that gets "lost in time like tears in the rain".

I will be still around and check things out from time to time, I am sure I will find an excuse to use Pharo again ;)

"Passing the baton at the right time is an important responsibility.  Thanks for your efforts setting up the server in the first place.

cheers -ben"

Thanks ben, I am glad people like it and the transition has been so smooth.

I also like to remind people that Discord has a pretty powerful API so creating a discord client inside pharo should not be that hard, so if anyone is interested and needs a couple of starting pointers send me a message and will send you a couple of links and answer your questions. I used the the python api but of course there is js api and several other languages.