Dispatching nested URLs

ZuLuuuuuu-2
Hello,

I wanted to have URLs like:

www.mysite.com/members/membername

and then act accordingly, showing the information about the member
whose name is "membername".

When creating, I do:

e a linkToLocal: 'members/membername'

Q1: Is this the preferred method of creating such URLs?

When dispatching, I do something like (in "members" controller):

membername := self application context route next.

(memberName isNil)
        ifFalse: [
                "show member details of member named "membername"]
        ifTrue: [
                "show the list of all members"]

Q2: Is this the preferred method of dispatching such nested URLs?

Canol

Re: Dispatching nested URLs

Nicolas Petton
Hi Canol,

Le dimanche 5 septembre 2010 10:42:19, ZuLuuuuuu a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to have URLs like:
>
> www.mysite.com/members/membername
>
> and then act accordingly, showing the information about the member
> whose name is "membername".
>
> When creating, I do:
>
> e a linkToLocal: 'members/membername'
>
> Q1: Is this the preferred method of creating such URLs?

Yes, that's fine :)

> When dispatching, I do something like (in "members" controller):
>
> membername := self application context route next.
>
> (memberName isNil)
> ifFalse: [
> "show member details of member named "membername"]
> ifTrue: [
> "show the list of all members"]
>
> Q2: Is this the preferred method of dispatching such nested URLs?

Yes, using the route is the best way.

If you do it in a controller method, it can be simplified with 'self route
next'. However, If you use it in a widget, the way I see it widgets shouldn't
be responsible for dispatching or retreiving data from the url, it should be
the application's job (that's why the route is accessible from the
application) in a controller method.

I'm not saying it's a strict rule, but I think it's better to do it this way.

Cheers,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton