Display Driver Missing (not)

Dan Norton
I'm trying to move off Doze7 to Debian Linux (jessie). Things were going
great with Cuis until this noob used dpkg to remove some "unneeded" lib*
files. In one command entry 100 or so were removed and after that:

d@debian:~/cuis$ cogspur/cogspurlinux/squeak Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/an.image
produced:

could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
   - check that
/home/d/cuis/cogspur/cogspurlinux/lib/squeak/5.0-3397//vm-display-X11.so
exists, or
   - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
   - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
Aborted

This did not occur prior to removal with dpkg and the file
"vm-display-X11" is exactly where it's always been, so I think Spur
needed one or more of those lib* files I deleted. BTW, GNOME, email,
browser, gedit seem unaffected.

Any help in identifying what Spur needs to find that driver would be
much appreciated.

  - Dan

Re: Display Driver Missing (not)

Dan Norton
Thanks Phil, I probably will take your suggestion after capturing what's
been building up in /home. This seems to be a good opportunity to put
/home in a separate partition with the next install, unless someone
talks me out of it :-).

On 12/12/2016 06:38 PM, Phil B wrote:

> If it were me I'd just reinstall Linux unless you want to go through the
> pain of fixing whatever dependencies got broken.  The good news is it
> sounds like you've learned early on not to use dpkg directly as it will
> trivially and quietly allow you to break your install since it doesn't
> deal with dependencies.  synaptic (GUI), aptitude (text ui) and apt-get
> are all better package management options unless you know precisely what
> and why you are doing something from a package standpoint.
>
> On Dec 12, 2016 6:00 PM, "Dan Norton" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I'm trying to move off Doze7 to Debian Linux (jessie). Things were
>     going great with Cuis until this noob used dpkg to remove some
>     "unneeded" lib* files. In one command entry 100 or so were removed
>     and after that:
>
>     d@debian:~/cuis$ cogspur/cogspurlinux/squeak Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/an.image
>     produced:
>
>     could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
>       - check that
>     /home/d/cuis/cogspur/cogspurlinux/lib/squeak/5.0-3397//vm-display-X11.so
>     exists, or
>       - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
>       - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
>     Aborted
>
>     This did not occur prior to removal with dpkg and the file
>     "vm-display-X11" is exactly where it's always been, so I think Spur
>     needed one or more of those lib* files I deleted. BTW, GNOME, email,
>     browser, gedit seem unaffected.
>
>     Any help in identifying what Spur needs to find that driver would be
>     much appreciated.
>
>      - Dan

Re: Display Driver Missing (not)

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Dan,

Have you tried installed the 32 bit libraries as specified in
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/blob/master/Documentation/GettingStarted-UsingGitAndCommandline.md
?

BTW, the current mail list is [hidden email] . Chances of
getting answers here are much lower.

Cheers,

On 12/13/2016 9:38 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

> Thanks Phil, I probably will take your suggestion after capturing
> what's been building up in /home. This seems to be a good opportunity
> to put /home in a separate partition with the next install, unless
> someone talks me out of it :-).
>
> On 12/12/2016 06:38 PM, Phil B wrote:
>> If it were me I'd just reinstall Linux unless you want to go through the
>> pain of fixing whatever dependencies got broken.  The good news is it
>> sounds like you've learned early on not to use dpkg directly as it will
>> trivially and quietly allow you to break your install since it doesn't
>> deal with dependencies.  synaptic (GUI), aptitude (text ui) and apt-get
>> are all better package management options unless you know precisely what
>> and why you are doing something from a package standpoint.
>>
>> On Dec 12, 2016 6:00 PM, "Dan Norton" <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     I'm trying to move off Doze7 to Debian Linux (jessie). Things were
>>     going great with Cuis until this noob used dpkg to remove some
>>     "unneeded" lib* files. In one command entry 100 or so were removed
>>     and after that:
>>
>>     d@debian:~/cuis$ cogspur/cogspurlinux/squeak
>> Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/an.image
>>     produced:
>>
>>     could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
>>       - check that
>>
>> /home/d/cuis/cogspur/cogspurlinux/lib/squeak/5.0-3397//vm-display-X11.so
>>     exists, or
>>       - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
>>       - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
>>     Aborted
>>
>>     This did not occur prior to removal with dpkg and the file
>>     "vm-display-X11" is exactly where it's always been, so I think Spur
>>     needed one or more of those lib* files I deleted. BTW, GNOME, email,
>>     browser, gedit seem unaffected.
>>
>>     Any help in identifying what Spur needs to find that driver would be
>>     much appreciated.
>>
>>      - Dan

Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org