Display depth on Linux

hernan.wilkinson
On linux, when setting Display Depth to something else than 32, it is impossible to recongnize something on the screen.
We did some research with Juan Vuletich on this and it sounds like an error on the VMnot the Smalltalk code
We try it on Ubuntu 9.04, 64 bits. Is this a known bug?

Hernan

Re: Display depth on Linux

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/8/9 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
On linux, when setting Display Depth to something else than 32, it is impossible to recongnize something on the screen.
We did some research with Juan Vuletich on this and it sounds like an error on the VMnot the Smalltalk code
We try it on Ubuntu 9.04, 64 bits. Is this a known bug?

Do you have Compiz activated?

Hernan

Re: Display depth on Linux

Stéphane Ducasse
Guys

could you create a wiki pages with "Possible problems with interacting
tools on windows"
or something like that?

Stef

On Aug 10, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Does someone know if there are also problems in Metacity  as there
> are with Compiz when using something else than 32 bits?
>
> Best,
>
> Mariano
>
> 2009/8/10 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
> yeap, it was that, thanks!
>
> 2009/8/9 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
>

> 2009/8/9 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
>
> On linux, when setting Display Depth to something else than 32, it
> is impossible to recongnize something on the screen.
> We did some research with Juan Vuletich on this and it sounds like
> an error on the VMnot the Smalltalk code
> We try it on Ubuntu 9.04, 64 bits. Is this a known bug?
>

> Do you have Compiz activated?
>

> Hernan

Re: Display depth on Linux

Douglas Brebner
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Guys
>
> could you create a wiki pages with "Possible problems with interacting
> tools on windows"
> or something like that?
>
> Stef

I believe this problem is due to a combination of the unix vm putting
garbage into the alpha channel (the extra 8bits in 32bit colour after
RGB) and a Composite extension manager active on the X server. I think
Metacity uses Composite as does Compiz and a few others.

Composite is the X extension that allows the 3d desktop stuff and other
shiny effects to work btw.

> On Aug 10, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> Does someone know if there are also problems in Metacity  as there
>> are with Compiz when using something else than 32 bits?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Mariano
>>
>> 2009/8/10 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
>> yeap, it was that, thanks!
>>
>> 2009/8/9 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
>>

>> 2009/8/9 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On linux, when setting Display Depth to something else than 32, it
>> is impossible to recongnize something on the screen.
>> We did some research with Juan Vuletich on this and it sounds like
>> an error on the VMnot the Smalltalk code
>> We try it on Ubuntu 9.04, 64 bits. Is this a known bug?
>>

>> Do you have Compiz activated?

Re: Display depth on Linux

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 08:26:20AM +0100, Douglas Brebner wrote:

> St?phane Ducasse wrote:
> > Guys
> >
> > could you create a wiki pages with "Possible problems with interacting
> > tools on windows"
> > or something like that?
> >
> > Stef
> >

> I believe this problem is due to a combination of the unix vm putting
> garbage into the alpha channel (the extra 8bits in 32bit colour after
> RGB) and a Composite extension manager active on the X server. I think
> Metacity uses Composite as does Compiz and a few others.

I have zero expertise in this area, but in case it is related: Juan
Vuletich posted a fix yesterday in Mantis 7376: "Bug in BitBlt (rgbMul
sets alpha to 0)". I can't tell if this relates to the problem you are
describing, but FWIW Juan's fix is in the latest VMMaker on SqueakSource
(as of yesterday), so if you are building your on VM you can try it
and see if it makes a difference.

Dave

Re: Display depth on Linux

Mariano Martinez Peck