Display units and UI widgets in Morphic 3

Display units and UI widgets in Morphic 3

Phil B
Juan,

I vaguely recall previously having a discussion somewhere about unit
scaling / high dpi but can't seem to find the thread.  Anyways, this
question is specific to Morphic 3: from a UI creation standpoint is
Morphic 3 still going to use pixel-based units or will some other unit
of measure be used? i.e. if you design a UI and have say a 32x32
button, is that going to need to be scaled up (understanding that this
will be trivial for Morphic 3 to do) for high-dpi displays?  Is this
even a Morphic concern or will it be up to Cuis as an environment to
have a preference for display scaling?

Related to this is the question of how much do you anticipate
higher-level UI code needing to be reworked for Morphic 3? One
of the many projects I've been playing around with giving things a bit
of a face-lift (i.e. a logging framework that can handle non-textual
data, grid and multi-element list pluggable morphs, visualization
widgets, etc... sort of along the lines of what is being done in Pharo
with the playground stuff) and am just wondering how far I should go
with this work before seeing what's involved in migrating to Morphic 3?

(I did take a quick peek at the Morphic 3 package but didn't find
answers as it looks like you're still working out the lower level
details)

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Display units and UI widgets in Morphic 3

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Phil,

On 6/30/2015 10:27 PM, Phil (list) wrote:

> Juan,
>
> I vaguely recall previously having a discussion somewhere about unit
> scaling / high dpi but can't seem to find the thread.  Anyways, this
> question is specific to Morphic 3: from a UI creation standpoint is
> Morphic 3 still going to use pixel-based units or will some other unit
> of measure be used? i.e. if you design a UI and have say a 32x32
> button, is that going to need to be scaled up (understanding that this
> will be trivial for Morphic 3 to do) for high-dpi displays?  Is this
> even a Morphic concern or will it be up to Cuis as an environment to
> have a preference for display scaling?

In Morphic 3 you can use any unit you want for your Morphs. It is
perfectly reasonable to use pixels, at your preferred zoom level and
DPI. You can also use domain specific units.

The user is able to scale the World or any particular Morph to suit his
needs or taste, much like you do in Google Maps, in Satellite mode.

> Related to this is the question of how much do you anticipate
> higher-level UI code needing to be reworked for Morphic 3? One
> of the many projects I've been playing around with giving things a bit
> of a face-lift (i.e. a logging framework that can handle non-textual
> data, grid and multi-element list pluggable morphs, visualization
> widgets, etc... sort of along the lines of what is being done in Pharo
> with the playground stuff) and am just wondering how far I should go
> with this work before seeing what's involved in migrating to Morphic 3?

In principle, there is no code rework needed. The local coordinates,
locations, etc. are the standard in Cuis since a few years ago.

The difference is that Morphic 3 will make some new things possible, and
others will be simpler. It will also give the user a better control on
how to use the UI.

> (I did take a quick peek at the Morphic 3 package but didn't find
> answers as it looks like you're still working out the lower level
> details)
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Well, but that experimental code already can draw essentially any Cuis
morphic World. It is just some lower level details what is missing to
make it the main graphics engine for Cuis.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On Wed, 2015-07-01 at 21:51 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> On 6/30/2015 10:27 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
> > Juan,
> >
> > I vaguely recall previously having a discussion somewhere about unit
> > scaling / high dpi but can't seem to find the thread.  Anyways, this
> > question is specific to Morphic 3: from a UI creation standpoint is
> > Morphic 3 still going to use pixel-based units or will some other unit
> > of measure be used? i.e. if you design a UI and have say a 32x32
> > button, is that going to need to be scaled up (understanding that this
> > will be trivial for Morphic 3 to do) for high-dpi displays?  Is this
> > even a Morphic concern or will it be up to Cuis as an environment to
> > have a preference for display scaling?
>
> In Morphic 3 you can use any unit you want for your Morphs. It is
> perfectly reasonable to use pixels, at your preferred zoom level and
> DPI. You can also use domain specific units.
>
> The user is able to scale the World or any particular Morph to suit his
> needs or taste, much like you do in Google Maps, in Satellite mode.

Excellent... that's what I was hoping for.

> > Related to this is the question of how much do you anticipate
> > higher-level UI code needing to be reworked for Morphic 3? One
> > of the many projects I've been playing around with giving things a bit
> > of a face-lift (i.e. a logging framework that can handle non-textual
> > data, grid and multi-element list pluggable morphs, visualization
> > widgets, etc... sort of along the lines of what is being done in Pharo
> > with the playground stuff) and am just wondering how far I should go
> > with this work before seeing what's involved in migrating to Morphic 3?
>
> In principle, there is no code rework needed. The local coordinates,
> locations, etc. are the standard in Cuis since a few years ago.
>
> The difference is that Morphic 3 will make some new things possible, and
> others will be simpler. It will also give the user a better control on
> how to use the UI.

Better and better!

> > (I did take a quick peek at the Morphic 3 package but didn't find
> > answers as it looks like you're still working out the lower level
> > details)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil
>
> Well, but that experimental code already can draw essentially any Cuis
> morphic World. It is just some lower level details what is missing to
> make it the main graphics engine for Cuis.

Hmm... then I need to take another look.  I probably wasn't loading
and/or initializing things correctly.

On Wed, 2015-07-01 at 22:02 -0400, Phil (list) wrote:

> On Wed, 2015-07-01 at 21:51 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> >
> > > (I did take a quick peek at the Morphic 3 package but didn't find
> > > answers as it looks like you're still working out the lower level
> > > details)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Phil
> >
> > Well, but that experimental code already can draw essentially any Cuis
> > morphic World. It is just some lower level details what is missing to
> > make it the main graphics engine for Cuis.
> >

> Hmm... then I need to take another look.  I probably wasn't loading
> and/or initializing things correctly.

Ahh... I see my mistake (duh!):  I was trying to load Morphic 3 into the
latest image rather than using your experimental image.  One minor
issue: that image is expecting to find the example SVG files in
svgSamples but the directory is now called SVGSamples.  (Easily
addressed with a symlink so I could run the demo render.)  It looks
very, very nice!