DisplayableObject

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi Stef,

I think that the inclusion of DisplayableObject or something like that will not help in better system design. The only thing that should really know about how to generate forms for icons, should be the UI framework. Imagine that we will want to use something like GTK framework with vector icons.
The model classes should ideally never produce icons themselves. We should have maybe some class, an icon description. In the standard case, it will only hold the selector for the icon, but then it may add some additional data (like information about the small progress bar embedded in the icon). In the worst case it could provide as an additional property the form for the icon but then it will limit to use such thing effectively with other UI frameworks (like HTML rendering).
If we will add a DisplayableObject, we will only make easier to make models that are not strictly separated from the UI.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: DisplayableObject

ducasse
Hi pavel

I spent quite some time (… more days) looking at the Smalltalk ui theme and icons and
I think that it will help.

So let me give a real try and judge the result because the devils in the details.

I do not think that displayableObject should be a superclass of Model and I’m not sure
that Model should DisplayableObject should be a subclass of Model.

May be we should have a DisplayableObject and a subclass of Model.

The first step is to make sure that Presenter handle theme and icons correctly that
all the Presenter subclasses are clean. It will remove a lot of mess.
Now I would like to have also UIManager default managed in a decent way

Stef