Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    I notice with some dismay that String>>openInWorkspaceWithTitle: was deleted some time ago.  Note that there is still a sender in the GetText package.

Writing either
    (StringHolder new contents: myString)
openLabel: 'W. T. F?!'
or
    (Workspace new contents: myString)
openLabel: 'W. T. F?!'
is a pain in the ass.

So should we have a class side method on StringHolder, openOn:label: for example, or put back the most convenient openInWorkspaceWithTitle?

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

timrowledge

> On 24-01-2018, at 10:27 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So should we have a class side method on StringHolder, openOn:label: for example, or put back the most convenient openInWorkspaceWithTitle?

Why not both?
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/565679-why-not-both-why-dont-we-have-both

tim
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Re: Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

Stéphane Rollandin
>> So should we have a class side method on StringHolder, openOn:label: for example, or put back the most convenient openInWorkspaceWithTitle?
>
> Why not both?

+1

Re: Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

marcel.taeumel
Hi Eliot, hi all --

For this scenario, we should use the UI-Manager-Tool-Abstraction. :-) It is "UIManager default edit: 'foo' label: 'bar'". Works for Strings and Texts.

Hi restored the missing #openInWorkspaceWithTitle: as deprecated and added #edit to String and Text:

Try:

'Hello, World!' edit.
'Hello, World!' asText addAttribute: TextEmphasis bold; edit.

Best,
Marcel

Am 24.01.2018 23:18:02 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

>> So should we have a class side method on StringHolder, openOn:label: for example, or put back the most convenient openInWorkspaceWithTitle?
>
> Why not both?

+1

Re: Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

David T. Lewis
This is a nice clear solution. Easy to remember, and it works in MVC too.

Dave

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 08:36:17AM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> Hi Eliot, hi all --
>
> For this scenario, we should use the UI-Manager-Tool-Abstraction. :-) It is "UIManager default edit: 'foo' label: 'bar'". Works for Strings and Texts.
>
> Hi restored the missing #openInWorkspaceWithTitle: as deprecated and added #edit to String and Text:
>
> http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-60Deprecated-mt-9-mcz-tp5064321.html [http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-60Deprecated-mt-9-mcz-tp5064321.html]
> http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-ToolBuilder-Kernel-mt-119-mcz-tp5064323.html [http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-ToolBuilder-Kernel-mt-119-mcz-tp5064323.html]
> http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-GetText-mt-45-mcz-tp5064324.html [http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-GetText-mt-45-mcz-tp5064324.html]
>
> Try:??
>
> 'Hello, World!' edit.
> 'Hello, World!' asText addAttribute: TextEmphasis bold; edit.
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>

> Am 24.01.2018 23:18:02 schrieb St??phane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:
> >> So should we have a class side method on StringHolder, openOn:label: for example, or put back the most convenient openInWorkspaceWithTitle?
> >
> > Why not both?
>
> +1
>
> Stef

Re: Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

Bob Arning-2

Doesn't need to be limited to String-like things either. I use something similar such that:

Smalltalk keys sorted bobEdit

opens a workspace with:

1 - ADPCMCodec
2 - ADPCMCodecPlugin
3 - AEDesc
4 - AGenieIntroduction
5 - AIFFFileReader
6 - AMPCommunicator
...and so on...

Handy if you need to email the contents of some collection.

On 1/25/18 7:33 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
[...]

Hi, Bob.

That's part of my motivation for Vivide:

... #fancyEditor openScriptWith: someObjects ...

:-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 25.01.2018 15:09:46 schrieb Bob Arning <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Hi Marcel,

On Jan 24, 2018, at 11:36 PM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eliot, hi all --

For this scenario, we should use the UI-Manager-Tool-Abstraction. :-) It is "UIManager default edit: 'foo' label: 'bar'". Works for Strings and Texts.

Hi restored the missing #openInWorkspaceWithTitle: as deprecated and added #edit to String and Text:

Try:

'Hello, World!' edit.
'Hello, World!' asText addAttribute: TextEmphasis bold; edit.

Will you be happy if I add editLabel: or editWithLabel: ?

Best,
Marcel

Am 24.01.2018 23:18:02 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

>> So should we have a class side method on StringHolder, openOn:label: for example, or put back the most convenient openInWorkspaceWithTitle?
>
> Why not both?

+1

Re: Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

marcel.taeumel
Hi Eliot,

well, do it. ;-) If you need it that often... :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 25.01.2018 16:09:01 schrieb Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:

Hi Marcel,

On Jan 24, 2018, at 11:36 PM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eliot, hi all --

For this scenario, we should use the UI-Manager-Tool-Abstraction. :-) It is "UIManager default edit: 'foo' label: 'bar'". Works for Strings and Texts.

Hi restored the missing #openInWorkspaceWithTitle: as deprecated and added #edit to String and Text:

Try:

'Hello, World!' edit.
'Hello, World!' asText addAttribute: TextEmphasis bold; edit.

Will you be happy if I add editLabel: or editWithLabel: ?

Best,
Marcel

Am 24.01.2018 23:18:02 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

>> So should we have a class side method on StringHolder, openOn:label: for example, or put back the most convenient openInWorkspaceWithTitle?
>
> Why not both?

+1

Re: Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

Hannes Hirzel
+1 for

    'Hello, World!' editWithLabel: aString

On 1/25/18, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> well, do it. ;-) If you need it that often... :-)
>
> Best,
> Marcel
> Am 25.01.2018 16:09:01 schrieb Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Marcel,
>

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 11:36 PM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:
>

> Hi Eliot, hi all --
>
> For this scenario, we should use the UI-Manager-Tool-Abstraction. :-) It is
> "UIManager default edit: 'foo' label: 'bar'". Works for Strings and Texts.
>
> Hi restored the missing #openInWorkspaceWithTitle: as deprecated and added
> #edit to String and Text:
>
> http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-60Deprecated-mt-9-mcz-tp5064321.html
> [http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-60Deprecated-mt-9-mcz-tp5064321.html]
> http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-ToolBuilder-Kernel-mt-119-mcz-tp5064323.html
> [http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-ToolBuilder-Kernel-mt-119-mcz-tp5064323.html]
> http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-GetText-mt-45-mcz-tp5064324.html
> [http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-GetText-mt-45-mcz-tp5064324.html]
>
> Try:
>
> 'Hello, World!' edit.
> 'Hello, World!' asText addAttribute: TextEmphasis bold; edit.
>
> Will you be happy if I add editLabel: or editWithLabel: ?
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>

> Am 24.01.2018 23:18:02 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]]>:
>>> So should we have a class side method on StringHolder, openOn:label: for
>>> example, or put back the most convenient openInWorkspaceWithTitle?
>>
>> Why not both?
>
> +1
>
> Stef

Re: Displaying Strings and Texts in workspaces.

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Hans,

> On Jan 27, 2018, at 9:56 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 for
>
>    'Hello, World!' editWithLabel: aString

It's there now; I committed a couple of days ago.