Distinguishing system and user objects

hernanmd
Hi guys,

Given any Pharo image and a (any) package or class category, how do
you find if the package/class category belongs to the official image
release?
Thanks,

Hernán

Re: Distinguishing system and user objects

Miguel Cobá
El mar, 31-08-2010 a las 17:29 -0300, Hernán Morales Durand escribió:
> Hi guys,
>
> Given any Pharo image and a (any) package or class category, how do
> you find if the package/class category belongs to the official image
> release?
> Thanks,

In a pharo dev image there is a packages.txt that is generated in image
build time. It contains the list of packages that were added to a Pharo
Core image to create a Pharo Dev image.

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Distinguishing system and user objects

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I have been looking at the (horribly named) #timeStamp of methods; if my initials/name appear a substring, then it's a red flag that I might have written it, or at least want to be alerted that I might have unpackaged efforts.  The following is a first attempt at releasing the code I use to save a later load packages:

  http://squeaksource.com/PharoInbox/Migrate-Core-BillSchwab.2.mcz

It might not work w/o my stream extensions and other infrastructure - fair warning.  If remotely interested, look at the class comment of Migrate; expect to subclass it and override a few methods (#me, #homeGrownPackages) to get it to do anything meaningful.  This design allows me to distribute its core functionality but have my own concrete class that is not for public viewing.

The #suspectMethodsReport might be of interest to you.

Bill

Re: Distinguishing system and user objects

In scriptLoader you get the list of all the core packages with version.
I will start to play with metacello to do that instead of doing everything :)

On Aug 31, 2010, at 10:29 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Given any Pharo image and a (any) package or class category, how do
> you find if the package/class category belongs to the official image
> release?
> Thanks,
>
> Hernán

Re: Distinguishing system and user objects

hernanmd
Thanks for the help guys.
Actually I thought of having something as simple as

aClass isSystemDefault

then having more control detecting changes (to system or user
objects). One may implement in a browser a Warning mode that
prevents/protect from mistakes, once I've implemented an extension
method in Behavior with the **same selector** of an existing method,
and the tools didn't helped me to detect it.

Another use case is for helping future tools to know which changes to track.

Hernán

2010/9/1 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> In scriptLoader you get the list of all the core packages with version.
> I will start to play with metacello to do that instead of doing everything :)
>

> On Aug 31, 2010, at 10:29 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Given any Pharo image and a (any) package or class category, how do
>> you find if the package/class category belongs to the official image
>> release?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Hernán

Re: Distinguishing system and user objects

Stéphane Ducasse
> Thanks for the help guys.
> Actually I thought of having something as simple as
>
> aClass isSystemDefault

we could do it at the class level
I think that we should get some static metadata soon or later