Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

vinref
Hello

We have workers in a different country needing to access the repository to load the latest config maps and commit code. It is very slow for them, taking > 10 minutes.

The repo is approaching 2.G in size, and the network is good.

Does Instantiations offer a way to distribute the repo and keep it in sync with the master repo? Does anyone know of a way to speed up access - i.e., compressing, rsync'ing, etc.

Thanks, Vince

Re: Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

Wayne Johnston
My colleagues and I typically have a VM where we do our development, where the VM is "close" to the machine with the repository.  That is much faster - not having all that data going over the wire to a local machine, but just "seeing" across the wire.

Unrelated, config map loading is not fast but the network guys say something is in the works in our VM environment which may improve this.  Hopefully it'll also speed up the very slow response when selecting a config map which has many versions.

Re: Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

Seth Berman
Hello Vince,

The ENVY protocol is not suitable for WAN access...it assumes the ENVY server and client are in close proximity.
Compression won't help, it relates more to the inherent limitations of its consistency model.

Without any automation, it would be quicker to have the remote folks remote desktop in and work directly there, or use it as the import/export dat transfer mechanism for example, basic copy/paste of dat files when using an RDP client or use a VM.

- Seth

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 11:51:34 PM UTC-5, Vince Refiti wrote:
Hello

We have workers in a different country needing to access the repository to load the latest config maps and commit code. It is very slow for them, taking > 10 minutes.

The repo is approaching 2.0 Gb in size, and the network is good.

Does Instantiations offer a way to distribute the repo and keep it in sync with the master repo? Does anyone know of a way to speed up access - i.e., compressing, rsync'ing, etc.

Thanks, Vince

Re: Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

Seth Berman
Hi Wayne,

I'd be interested to know if it does speed up config maps with many versions.
I profiled that, once upon a time, and saw the sheer number of requests that must be made to accomplish that.
It's based on the fact the the browser wants to show you those versions in sorted order.  Yet, the ENVY repository does not store it that way since it's just a bunch of append-at-the-end records with links to each other.
So it ends up being a rather expensive question to ask, which isn't intuitive because in an RDBMS something like this should be trivial.

-- Seth

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 8:11:07 AM UTC-5, Wayne Johnston wrote:
My colleagues and I typically have a VM where we do our development, where the VM is "close" to the machine with the repository.  That is much faster - not having all that data going over the wire to a local machine, but just "seeing" across the wire.

Unrelated, config map loading is not fast but the network guys say something is in the works in our VM environment which may improve this.  Hopefully it'll also speed up the very slow response when selecting a config map which has many versions.

Re: Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

Long Haired David
Seth, I do a lot of work for a company in CT (I am in the U.K.). We tried using the network but, in the end, we went to RDP and copying config maps to Dropbox so that I could always have access to the latest code, in case.
It works well for us.
David

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

Vizio Costar
Hello,

So, I've been in the same situation and remote workers had their own repository but ran a script before leaving work at night that did a 2-way sync of the local and remote repositories.

I don't have the code but it was very short and executed in a workspace.  I'm sure it could be recreated by someone if you think it might work for you.

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 11:51:34 PM UTC-5, Vince Refiti wrote:
Hello

We have workers in a different country needing to access the repository to load the latest config maps and commit code. It is very slow for them, taking > 10 minutes.

The repo is approaching 2.0 Gb in size, and the network is good.

Does Instantiations offer a way to distribute the repo and keep it in sync with the master repo? Does anyone know of a way to speed up access - i.e., compressing, rsync'ing, etc.

Thanks, Vince

Re: Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

vinref
Hi

Thank you all for your responses.

I want to maintain consistency as much as possible to avoid having to deal with merging issues, so I am going to ask the remote workers to load the appropriate config map first thing in the morning, before they go to lunch and before they go for a coffee break. In the future if I still get burdened with messy merges, I might consider RDP.

Vince

Re: Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

Mariana Matos
Hi, we have the same problem with my team, the library is hosted in a US server and we work from Argentina, which makes it a great pain to use the Config Map Browser.

The way we work lately is:
- When we need to create a new config map edition or work with the config map edition, we connect through RDC to the US server and use the Config Map Browser.

- To load the latest config map in our dev image, it takes less time to run this script in a workspace than even attempt to open the Config Map browser locally:

(EmConfigurationMap  stsLatestEditionsFor: #(

'YourConfigMap1'

'YourConfigMap2'

)) do: [:config | config load ].

I'm interested in what Vizio mentioned regarding having a local repository and running a sync though. I was thinking of doing that myself but didn't get the time to do it.

I hope it helps!

El miércoles, 27 de diciembre de 2017, 1:39:24 (UTC-3), Vince Refiti escribió:
Hi

Thank you all for your responses.

I want to maintain consistency as much as possible to avoid having to deal with merging issues, so I am going to ask the remote workers to load the appropriate config map first thing in the morning, before they go to lunch and before they go for a coffee break. In the future if I still get burdened with messy merges, I might consider RDP.

Vince

Re: Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

bonndias

same experience here. Best solution is to use a VM close to the Envy Server. There is a small performance improvement if you disable the use of Enhanced List Widgets from the Options Menu (System Transcript -> Options -> Enhanced List Widgets -> Use Enhanced List Widgets).

bpi

Re: Distributing the VA Smalltalk repository

bpi
Hi,

In the past we have always used scripts to export config maps versions in dat files, doing a file transfer and loading those in the remote library. For us this worked quite well.

An idea that just crossed my mind. How about (ab)using the VastGoodies code for that?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Hi,