Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Guys,

All Zodiac tests on the build server fail because there seems to be no SSL plugin (or maybe the right SSL libs 32bit are not installed).

Error Message

primitive #primitiveSSLCreate in ZdcPluginSSLSession failed
Stacktrace

ZdcPluginSSLSession(Object)>>primitiveFailed:
ZdcPluginSSLSession(Object)>>primitiveFailed
ZdcPluginSSLSession>>primitiveSSLCreate
ZdcPluginSSLSession>>initialize
ZdcPluginSSLSession class(Behavior)>>new
ZdcSecureSocketStream>>sslSession
ZdcSecureSocketStream>>connect
ZnNetworkingUtils>>socketStreamToUrlDirectly:
ZnNetworkingUtils>>socketStreamToUrl:
ZnNetworkingUtils class>>socketStreamToUrl:
ZnClient>>getConnectionAndExecute
ZnClient>>executeWithRedirectsRemaining:
[self executeWithRedirectsRemaining: self maxNumberOfRedirects] in ZnClient>>executeWithRetriesRemaining:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
ZnClient>>executeWithRetriesRemaining:
[self ifFailBlock
                ifNil: [self executeWithRetriesRemaining: self numberOfRetries]
                ifNotNil: [[self executeWithRetriesRemaining: self numberOfRetries]
                                on: self exceptionSetForIfFail
                                do: self ifFailBlock]] in ZnClient>>executeWithTimeout
[^ block value] in ZnClient>>withTimeoutDo:
[p psValueAt: index put: anObject.
        aBlock value] in ZnConnectionTimeout(DynamicVariable)>>value:during:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
ZnConnectionTimeout(DynamicVariable)>>value:during:
ZnConnectionTimeout class(DynamicVariable class)>>value:during:
ZnClient>>withTimeoutDo:
ZnClient>>executeWithTimeout
ZnClient>>execute
ZnClient>>get
ZnClient>>get:
ZnHTTPSTests>>testGmailEncrypted

Sven

Re: Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote
All Zodiac tests on the build server fail because there seems to be no SSL plugin (or maybe the right SSL libs 32bit are not installed).
The plugin is included and working for Mac, only 1 failure:
  Zinc.Zodiac.ZnHTTPSTests.testWikimedia (from Zinc-Zodiac)... Data receive timed out.
Cheers,
Sean

On 27 Jun 2012, at 19:52, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote
>>
>> All Zodiac tests on the build server fail because there seems to be no SSL
>> plugin (or maybe the right SSL libs 32bit are not installed).
>
> The plugin is included and working for Mac, only 1 failure:
>  Zinc.Zodiac.ZnHTTPSTests.testWikimedia (from Zinc-Zodiac)... Data receive
> timed out.

OK. Good.

Thanks for checking and replying, Sean.

Sven

Re: Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Igor Stasenko
On 27 June 2012 19:57, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2012, at 19:52, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote
>>>
>>> All Zodiac tests on the build server fail because there seems to be no SSL
>>> plugin (or maybe the right SSL libs 32bit are not installed).
>>
>> The plugin is included and working for Mac, only 1 failure:
>>  Zinc.Zodiac.ZnHTTPSTests.testWikimedia (from Zinc-Zodiac)... Data receive
>> timed out.
>
> OK. Good.
>
> Thanks for checking and replying, Sean.
>
> Sven

It should be there out of the box.
CHeck the version of VM you using

Smalltalk vm version.

If something is broken, then it should be fixed :)
But i am not sure about that, because i am certainly not using SSL
daily, so good testing
and details about what working(or not) and where could help.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Igor Stasenko wrote
It should be there out of the box.
CHeck the version of VM you using
I verified the primitive error on Windows XP with a 1.4 one-click I downloaded this morning. Here's the VM report:

Virtual Machine
---------------
Z:\Pharo-1.4-one-click.app\CogVM.exe
CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 uuid: bec8cdf0-4e06-4975-8c02-e882fadf4df3 Jun 22 2012, StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 uuid: bec8cdf0-4e06-4975-8c02-e882fadf4df3 Jun 22 2012, https://git.gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git Commit: 744bfe905c78a1a5d408680a8780367ea77e0549 Date: Fri Jun 1 15:17:41 2012 +0200 By: Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm@gmail.com>
Win32 built on Jun 22 2012 11:42:29 Compiler: 4.5.2
CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 uuid: bec8cdf0-4e06-4975-8c02-e882fadf4df3 Jun 22 2012
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 uuid: bec8cdf0-4e06-4975-8c02-e882fadf4df3 Jun 22 2012

Virtual Machine Commandline Options
-----------------------------------
#1 Z:\Pharo-1.4-one-click.app\\Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.4-one-click.image

Loaded VM Modules
-----------------
B2DPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
BitBltPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
FilePlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
LargeIntegers v1.5 VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
LocalePlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
MiscPrimitivePlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
SecurityPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)

VM Built-in Modules
-------------------
ADPCMCodecPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
AsynchFilePlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
B2DPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
B3DAcceleratorPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
BMPReadWriterPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
BitBltPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
CroquetPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
DSAPrims VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
DropPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
FFTPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
FilePlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
FloatArrayPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
FloatMathPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
HostWindowPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
IA32ABI VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
JPEGReadWriter2Plugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
JPEGReaderPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
JoystickTabletPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
Klatt VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
LargeIntegers v1.5 VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
LocalePlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
MIDIPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
Matrix2x3Plugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
MiscPrimitivePlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
Mpeg3Plugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
RePlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
SecurityPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
SerialPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
SocketPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
SoundCodecPrims VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
StarSqueakPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
SurfacePlugin Jun 22 2012 (i)
UUIDPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
Win32OSProcessPlugin VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin.oscog-eem.32 (i)
ZipPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)

VM Configuration
----------------
Z:\Pharo-1.4-one-click.app\CogVM.ini
[Global]
DeferUpdate=1
ShowConsole=0
DynamicConsole=1
ReduceCPUUsage=1
ReduceCPUInBackground=0
3ButtonMouse=0
1ButtonMouse=0
UseDirectSound=1
PriorityBoost=1
B3DXUsesOpenGL=0
CaseSensitiveFileMode=0
Cheers,
Sean

On 27 Jun 2012, at 20:05, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> It should be there out of the box.
> CHeck the version of VM you using
>
> Smalltalk vm version.
>
> If something is broken, then it should be fixed :)
> But i am not sure about that, because i am certainly not using SSL
> daily, so good testing
> and details about what working(or not) and where could help.

If the plugin is there, like in the main VM download, then it will probably a problem with the SSL libs.

Something like

        sudo apt-get install libssl0.9.8:i386

Lib SSL will of course already be there, but you need the 32 bit version, AFAIK.

Sven

Re: Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
I verified the primitive error on Windows XP with a 1.4 one-click I downloaded this morning. Here's the VM report...
I used the same VM on Ubuntu and got "PrimitiveFailed: primitive #primitiveSSLCreate in ZdcPluginSSLSession failed" error when evaluating "ZnClient new get: 'https://www.google.com'". No SSL plugin in the Linux folder of the one-click and VM module report doesn't list it...
VM Built-in Modules
-------------------
ADPCMCodecPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
AsynchFilePlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
B2DPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
BMPReadWriterPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
BitBltPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
CroquetPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
DSAPrims VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
DropPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
FFTPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
FileCopyPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
[...]
SoundPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
StarSqueakPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
SurfacePlugin Jun 22 2012 (i)
UnixOSProcessPlugin VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin.oscog-eem.32 (i)
ZipPlugin VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.160 (i)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Guillermo Polito
Maybe zodiac can suggest you to have a look at that into the exception (according to the os you're using)? :)

Sven

Re: Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Igor Stasenko
We should really shift the paradigm of assuming that plugins is there towards
having a nice error handling/presenting the reason why it fails, like
in this case
it should try and detect that plugin is not found/cannot be loaded and
produce correct error message
instead of "very informal"  primitive failed message :)

On 27 Jun 2012, at 22:48, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> We should really shift the paradigm of assuming that plugins is there towards
> having a nice error handling/presenting the reason why it fails, like
> in this case
> it should try and detect that plugin is not found/cannot be loaded and
> produce correct error message
> instead of "very informal"  primitive failed message :)

If you tell me the proper way to detect if a plugin is present, I will add a better exception.

On 27 June 2012 23:53, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2012, at 22:48, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> We should really shift the paradigm of assuming that plugins is there towards
>> having a nice error handling/presenting the reason why it fails, like
>> in this case
>> it should try and detect that plugin is not found/cannot be loaded and
>> produce correct error message
>> instead of "very informal"  primitive failed message :)
>
> If you tell me the proper way to detect if a plugin is present, I will add a better exception.

This is where we in one boat, Sven  :)

I added a new primitive
SmalltalkImage>>loadModule: aModuleName

which is step towards it, but don't expect it to be working outside a
pharo vms, because nobody else cares about that, and everyone else
seem fine living in sandbox, where everything is safe, sun always
shines,
and all plugins are in place :)

So, we really need to deal with that.. I grow tired seeing
"primfailed" walkback mails over and over again in different dusty
corners of our backyard (which VM is) and then educated guessing like
what could possibly cause it.. Wake up: system should tell us what
caused it, we should stop guessing and wasting our precious time on
false alarms!

So, in case of ssl plugin you can clearly tell that if that prim
failed, you know that there's something wrong with plugin, i.e. it
fails to initialize or not exists: so even putting more informal
message "there seem to be problem with SSL plugin (missing? no SSL
library installed on your system? )
will clarify a lot and prevent from wasting our time explaining why
that prim might fail or which VM has SSL and which might not.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Do the VM's used on Jenkins include the SSL plugin ?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
+20 :)

On 28 Jun 2012, at 00:32, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> So, in case of ssl plugin you can clearly tell that if that prim
> failed, you know that there's something wrong with plugin, i.e. it
> fails to initialize or not exists: so even putting more informal
> message "there seem to be problem with SSL plugin (missing? no SSL
> library installed on your system? )
> will clarify a lot and prevent from wasting our time explaining why
> that prim might fail or which VM has SSL and which might not.

===

Name: Zodiac-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.18
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 28 June 2012, 10:04:19.612 am
UUID: dca580f0-4d95-4d92-980c-1ebe622485d5
Ancestors: Zodiac-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.17

added ZdcPluginMissing exception to provided a more human friendly message when ZdcPluginSSLSession cannot be initialized (which is most probably due to a missing SSL/TLS plugin)

===

Now,

ZdcPluginSSLSession>>initialize
        "Initialize the receiver"

        [ handle := self primitiveSSLCreate ]
                on: PrimitiveFailed
                do: [ :exception |
                        "Give a more human friendly error message"
                        ZdcPluginMissing signal ]

with

ZdcPluginMissing new printString.

 'ZdcPluginMissing: SSL/TLS plugin initailization failed (VM plugin missing ? OS libraries missing ?)'

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu