Do we want to integrate Keymappings? What's the way to follow? [WAS] More on Keymappings

Do we want to integrate Keymappings? What's the way to follow? [WAS] More on Keymappings

Guillermo Polito
Stef and everybody,

I'd love to have it too, and I'd like to know what should a solution have to be integrated :).  Should we integrate it in the core? or let it in the Dev?

I know that a minimum solution should be to have this keymapper replace completely the old and hardcoded keymappings.  Once it is integrated, it'll be easier to change and go on.

Guille

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks this is still on my todo to have a look at them.
I want a good keymapper in the system... :)

Stef

On Feb 26, 2011, at 5:42 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> What do we have now?
>
> - Can provide settings for a set of morphs
>
> - Can provide settings for a TextEditors (Smalltalk editor and related)
>
> - Settings integration
> I added some methods to the Settings Tree Builder in order to avoid references from the users code.
>
> - I ran Slint over it and cleaned it a lot more :). ( And learnt that Slint is there :P )
>
> More info in here:  http://guilleel3.blogspot.com/
>
> Guille

Re: Do we want to integrate Keymappings? What's the way to follow? [WAS] More on Keymappings

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 26, 2011, at 6:59 PM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Stef and everybody,
>
> I'd love to have it too, and I'd like to know what should a solution have to be integrated :).  Should we integrate it in the core? or let it in the Dev?

I do not know
        good
        tests
        tested
        commented :)
        not too large
        for me the core of the keymapper should go in core and the extension in separate package.

Stef

> I know that a minimum solution should be to have this keymapper replace completely the old and hardcoded keymappings.  Once it is integrated, it'll be easier to change and go on.

OK
I should have a look and somebody else too :)

Stef

> Guille
>

> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks this is still on my todo to have a look at them.
> I want a good keymapper in the system... :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Feb 26, 2011, at 5:42 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>
> > What do we have now?
> >
> > - Can provide settings for a set of morphs
> >
> > - Can provide settings for a TextEditors (Smalltalk editor and related)
> >
> > - Settings integration
> > I added some methods to the Settings Tree Builder in order to avoid references from the users code.
> >
> > - I ran Slint over it and cleaned it a lot more :). ( And learnt that Slint is there :P )
> >
> > More info in here:  http://guilleel3.blogspot.com/
> >
> > Guille

Re: Do we want to integrate Keymappings? What's the way to follow? [WAS] More on Keymappings

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stef and everybody,

I'd love to have it too, and I'd like to know what should a solution have to be integrated :).  Should we integrate it in the core? or let it in the Dev?

I know that a minimum solution should be to have this keymapper replace completely the old and hardcoded keymappings.  Once it is integrated, it'll be easier to change and go on.

Exactly. I would do that:  integrate a minimal core to replace old stuff and then load extensions in the dev image.
WHen you have such minimal code, with comments, tests, etc, maybe we can integrate it in 1.3

BTW, if you integrate such minmal core, the old core has to me removed? or it should be deprecated first?

Guille

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks this is still on my todo to have a look at them.
I want a good keymapper in the system... :)

Stef

On Feb 26, 2011, at 5:42 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> What do we have now?
>
> - Can provide settings for a set of morphs
>
> - Can provide settings for a TextEditors (Smalltalk editor and related)
>
> - Settings integration
> I added some methods to the Settings Tree Builder in order to avoid references from the users code.
>
> - I ran Slint over it and cleaned it a lot more :). ( And learnt that Slint is there :P )
>
> More info in here:  http://guilleel3.blogspot.com/
>
> Guille

Re: Do we want to integrate Keymappings? What's the way to follow? [WAS] More on Keymappings

Guillermo Polito
Deprecating it should be the way i think.  But we should take care with the senders, because it's very easy to break the text editors :P.

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stef and everybody,

I'd love to have it too, and I'd like to know what should a solution have to be integrated :).  Should we integrate it in the core? or let it in the Dev?

I know that a minimum solution should be to have this keymapper replace completely the old and hardcoded keymappings.  Once it is integrated, it'll be easier to change and go on.

Exactly. I would do that:  integrate a minimal core to replace old stuff and then load extensions in the dev image.
WHen you have such minimal code, with comments, tests, etc, maybe we can integrate it in 1.3

BTW, if you integrate such minmal core, the old core has to me removed? or it should be deprecated first?

Guille

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks this is still on my todo to have a look at them.
I want a good keymapper in the system... :)

Stef

On Feb 26, 2011, at 5:42 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> What do we have now?
>
> - Can provide settings for a set of morphs
>
> - Can provide settings for a TextEditors (Smalltalk editor and related)
>
> - Settings integration
> I added some methods to the Settings Tree Builder in order to avoid references from the users code.
>
> - I ran Slint over it and cleaned it a lot more :). ( And learnt that Slint is there :P )
>
> More info in here:  http://guilleel3.blogspot.com/
>
> Guille

Re: Do we want to integrate Keymappings? What's the way to follow? [WAS] More on Keymappings

Stéphane Ducasse
yes we should fix all the senders first.

Stef