Do you want to discuss about papers?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks. Before sending this email to all smalltalk mailing lists, I first wanted to ask you what do you think.

I am new in the world of the research and about reading and discussing about papers. If what I propose already exist, forget this mail and please tell me where is it.

I was thinking to have a place, an environment (mailing list), where we can freely discuss about Smalltalk or OO in general papers. At the beginning I though to put this inside the Pharo mailing list but then I though it is better to do a new mailing list where all smalltalkers of all flavors can join and discuss.

The main purpose about that list is:

- be able to FREELY discuss about papers about Smalltalk or OO in general. I say freely because maybe someone gives an opinion of a paper that the person who wrote it is also in this place. We are all professional and I think we can discuss with respect.
- LEARN.

Other uses:
- Don't reinvent the wheel. Maybe I wanted to do something and I read that XXX person did YYY. So, I can look at it.
- Be aware of what other people is doing, working, writing and learning
- Have different opinions of a certain topic / paper.
- A little step to join all the Smalltalk community in one place. We can meet people, join forces, etc.
- Help in the preparation, ANN, collaborate, etc in Workshops, conferences, and so on
- Ask for help on review. Several times someone has several papers to review for a certain conference. This can be a place to ask for that help.
- Publish papers that were rejected from someone. How many times some papers where rejected but do you still read it and find it useful ?
- Ask for feedback for a paper before submitting it in a conference/workshop
- Educate people and being educated
- Share latex template, commands, or tricks related to smalltalk code for example
- Discuss about research in general
- Ask for a certain topic. Suppose I want to start to work in XXX topic, I can ask to see if someone knows related papers or work.
- others

I will give you an example: this week I have been reading a paper about LOOM - Large Object Oriented Memory. This paper is from  ECOOP 1986  (the only thing an Argentinian can think about that year is Maradona's goals to England in Mexico ;) ). I was one year old at that time. LOOM was based in Smalltalk 80. I had no idea about that. I had to read some chapters of the blue book first in order to then understand LOOM. I have ever seen LOOM code, I don't know what happened with it, etc. So, maybe there is someone who even saw LOOM in live, he saw the code, he knows what happened, if it worked really or not, the advantages and drawbacks, the repercussion it had, etc. That information, those opinions, you cannot get it from other place.

So, what do you think?  Do you like the idea or has no sense ?    If you like and has sense, I will create the mailing list and send it to all Smalltalk mailing lists I know.

In two words: DISCUSS AND LEARN.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Janko Mivšek
Mariano,

That's a very good idea and useful also for us practitioners to get and
implement some new ideas from theoretic works out there. So I am for
this new mailing list!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Stéphane Ducasse
+1

Stef

On Jan 30, 2010, at 3:08 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> [...]
>> ever seen LOOM code, I don't know what happened with it, etc. So, maybe
>> there is someone who even saw LOOM in live, he saw the code, he knows
>> what happened, if it worked really or not, the advantages and drawbacks,
>> the repercussion it had, etc. That information, those opinions, you
>> cannot get it from other place.
>>
>> So, what do you think?  Do you like the idea or has no sense ?    If you
>> like and has sense, I will create the mailing list and send it to all
>> Smalltalk mailing lists I know.
>>
>> In two words: DISCUSS AND LEARN.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Marcus Denker-4
Yes!

On Jan 30, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
>
> So, what do you think?  Do you like the idea or has no sense ?    If you like and has sense, I will create the mailing list and send it to all Smalltalk mailing lists I know.

Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Janko Mivšek
How would we name that mailing list? smalltalk-theory ?

Janko

2010/1/30 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
How would we name that mailing list? smalltalk-theory ?

That was going to be my second question if you like the idea :)

- smalltalk-research
- research-smalltalk
- lab-smalltalk
- smalltalk-lab
- smalltalk-theory
- theory-smalltalk

So..we have several options

Vote ?

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Count me in!  I favor a separate list because this one is already quite busy.

> [...]

>> understand LOOM. I have ever seen LOOM code, I don't know what
>> happened with it, etc. So, maybe there is someone who even saw LOOM
>> in live, he saw the code, he knows what happened, if it worked really
>> or not, the advantages and drawbacks, the repercussion it had, etc.
>> That information, those opinions, you cannot get it from other place.
>>
>> So, what do you think?  Do you like the idea or has no sense ?    If you
>> like and has sense, I will create the mailing list and send it to all
>> Smalltalk mailing lists I know.
>>
>> In two words: DISCUSS AND LEARN.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Miguel Cobá
El sáb, 30-01-2010 a las 14:35 +0100, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> [...]
> about LOOM - Large Object Oriented Memory. This paper is from  ECOOP
> 1986  (the only thing an Argentinian can think about that year is
> Maradona's goals to England in Mexico ;) ). I was one year old at that
> time. LOOM was based in Smalltalk 80. I had no idea about that. I had
> to read some chapters of the blue book first in order to then
> understand LOOM. I have ever seen LOOM code, I don't know what
> happened with it, etc. So, maybe there is someone who even saw LOOM in
> live, he saw the code, he knows what happened, if it worked really or
> not, the advantages and drawbacks, the repercussion it had, etc. That
> information, those opinions, you cannot get it from other place.
>
> So, what do you think?  Do you like the idea or has no sense ?    If
> you like and has sense, I will create the mailing list and send it to

+10

> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

SergeStinckwich
2010/1/30 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> - Large Object Oriented Memory. This paper is from  ECOOP 1986  (the only
> thing an Argentinian can think about that year is Maradona's goals to
> England in Mexico ;) ). I was one year old at that time. LOOM was based in
> Smalltalk 80. I had no idea about that. I had to read some chapters of the
> blue book first in order to then understand LOOM. I have ever seen LOOM
> code, I don't know what happened with it, etc. So, maybe there is someone
> who even saw LOOM in live, he saw the code, he knows what happened, if it
> worked really or not, the advantages and drawbacks, the repercussion it had,
> etc. That information, those opinions, you cannot get it from other place.
>
> So, what do you think?  Do you like the idea or has no sense ?    If you
> like and has sense, I will create the mailing list and send it to all

Hi Mariano,

i like the idea of open research or open science :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_research
Research ideas should be implemented as open-source software, papers
and date should be freely available to everyone.
But i think, you are a bit optimistic about discussing and sharing
about papers before they are submitting. People would like to share
their papers with close friends or colleagues, but i guess they will
not release they paper unfinish in a public mailing-list.

In spite of this, i like the idea of sharing research ideas especially
among different communities. For example, i'm looking from interested
people to discuss ideas about using software engineering (especially
dynamic language like Smalltalk) in the context of robotics. I think
there is a lot of mutual interests here.

I like the idea of a smalltalk-research community because sometimes
you are a bit alone in your laboratory fighting against other people
that are doing Java or other boring stuff. Yes, there is some islands
around the world where several Smalltalkers are together, but these
are exceptions.
So i vote for smalltalk-research ;-)

Best regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Mariano Martinez Peck

Hi Mariano,

i like the idea of open research or open science :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_research
Research ideas should be implemented as open-source software, papers
and date should be freely available to everyone.
But i think, you are a bit optimistic about discussing and sharing
about papers before they are submitting. People would like to share
their papers with close friends or colleagues, but i guess they will
not release they paper unfinish in a public mailing-list.

Ok. Perfect. Yes, I was just being to optimistic :)

In spite of this, i like the idea of sharing research ideas especially
among different communities. For example, i'm looking from interested
people to discuss ideas about using software engineering (especially
dynamic language like Smalltalk) in the context of robotics. I think
there is a lot of mutual interests here.

I like the idea of a smalltalk-research community because sometimes
you are a bit alone in your laboratory fighting against other people
that are doing Java or other boring stuff. Yes, there is some islands
around the world where several Smalltalkers are together, but these
are exceptions.
So i vote for smalltalk-research ;-)

Cool :)    So....we agree with the name smalltalk-research ?

Best regards,

On 02. 02. 2010 16:07, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>     In spite of this, i like the idea of sharing research ideas especially
>     among different communities. For example, i'm looking from interested
>     people to discuss ideas about using software engineering (especially
>     dynamic language like Smalltalk) in the context of robotics. I think
>     there is a lot of mutual interests here.
>
>     I like the idea of a smalltalk-research community because sometimes
>     you are a bit alone in your laboratory fighting against other people
>     that are doing Java or other boring stuff. Yes, there is some islands
>     around the world where several Smalltalkers are together, but these
>     are exceptions.
>     So i vote for smalltalk-research ;-)
>

> Cool :)    So....we agree with the name smalltalk-research ?

I agree too, specially after the Serge's nice explanation!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Factors against releasing things include tipping off competitors, and that pesky "first public disclosure" requirement.  Still, I look forward to some discussion on things in press, and perhaps collaboration on proposals, if only the early stages of same.  At some point, people will have to resort to private discussions as ideas evolve until they reach an archival conclusion.

How about something like "The new Blue Book" :)

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok....I need to host and create the mailing-list somewhere where I can have admin access and where we can trust and that has maitainance. The best place I have right now to do that is fgorge, from INRIA. Here the mailing-lists are inside projects, for example, Pharo. Then, the mailing-lists you create inside these projects have to follow the name:  "[hidden email]"

So, it will be [hidden email]
I can change the name of the group after, I think, but not the mail.

Although we WON'T discuss about forks or dialects and we WON'T be coupled to Pharo. We will be able to discuss ANY smalltalk dialect.

Are you agree?

Mariano

2010/2/4 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Ok....I need to host and create the mailing-list somewhere where I can have
> admin access and where we can trust and that has maitainance. The best place
> I have right now to do that is fgorge, from INRIA. Here the mailing-lists
> are inside projects, for example, Pharo. Then, the mailing-lists you create
> inside these projects have to follow the name:
> "[hidden email]"
>
> So, it will be [hidden email]
> I can change the name of the group after, I think, but not the mail.
>
> Although we WON'T discuss about forks or dialects and we WON'T be coupled to
> Pharo. We will be able to discuss ANY smalltalk dialect.
>
> Are you agree?

I think it's not a good idea to make a link between pharo and
smalltalk-research.
Why not using google groups ? It's very easy to do and you can
subscribe to the mailing-list or read the messages on the web.

http://groups.google.com/

On 04. 02. 2010 10:22, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Ok....I need to host and create the mailing-list somewhere where I can
> have admin access and where we can trust and that has maitainance. The
> best place I have right now to do that is fgorge, from INRIA. Here the
> mailing-lists are inside projects, for example, Pharo. Then, the
> mailing-lists you create inside these projects have to follow the name:
> "[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>"
>
> So, it will be [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> I can change the name of the group after, I think, but not the mail.
>
> Although we WON'T discuss about forks or dialects and we WON'T be
> coupled to Pharo. We will be able to discuss ANY smalltalk dialect.
>
> Are you agree?

Hmm, more neutral name is needed from "political" reasons from the
start, IMHO.

Any chance to get something like:

        [hidden email], or smaltalk.st?

Let we spend few more days to make this list really well and acceptable
froma whole Smalltalk community, and naming from the start is here
really important.

About hosting the list, if there won't be better possibility,  I can
offer to host it on my servers.

Best regards
Janko

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>     >
>     > - smalltalk-research
>     > - research-smalltalk
>     > - lab-smalltalk
>     > - smalltalk-lab
>     > - smalltalk-theory
>     > - theory-smalltalk
>     >
>

>     How about something like "The new Blue Book" :)
>     --

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

Geert Claes
Administrator
I am not sure what you mean with the "project", "hidden email" and "group" for your new mailing list?

By the way, I simply took the initiative to group all Smalltalk mailing lists together, I am quite happy to delegate and make others administrator of these mailing lists.

ps. if you decide to use Nabble make sure to use the "n4" server so the new mailing list can be moved together with the others.

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

EstebanLM
+1

On 2010-02-04 06:29:42 -0300, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> said:

> 2010/2/4 Mariano Martinez Peck
> <[hidden email]>:
>> Ok....I need to host and create the mailing-list somewhere where I can have
>> admin access and where we can trust and that has maitainance. The best place
>> I have right now to do that is fgorge, from INRIA. Here the mailing-lists
>> are inside projects, for example, Pharo. Then, the mailing-lists you create
>> inside these projects have to follow the name:
>> "[hidden email]"
>>
>> So, it will be
>> [hidden email]

>> can change the name of the group after, I think, but not the mail.
>>
>> Although we WON'T discuss about forks or dialects and we WON'T be coupled to
>> Pharo. We will be able to discuss ANY smalltalk dialect.
>>
>> Are you agree?
>
> I think it's not a good idea to make a link between pharo and
> smalltalk-research.
> Why not using google groups ? It's very easy to do and you can
> subscribe to the mailing-list or read the messages on the web.
>
> http://groups.google.com/

Re: Do you want to discuss about papers?

If you want.
The only think that the forge offers us is pharo-something.....