Docs/Tutorial

Elliot Finley
Hello,

I've been looking at Aida and I like what I see - as far as the actual framework goes.  Though I haven't been able to find any real documentation to get started.  I figured maybe it was so easy that all I had to do was go through the tutorial and I'd be well on my way.  The tutorial however has the right side of every long line truncated, so it's really not complete and I'm not sure which words are missing so I haven't gone through that either.

I'm not complaining.  I realize this is an open source project base on volunteer effort mostly done by a single person.  I'm merely pointing out that if you want Aida to take off like Seaside is starting to, then documentation is key.  The key to Seaside's growing exposure is due mostly to the fact that it is easily approachable because it has good documentation.

Re: Docs/Tutorial

Janko Mivšek
Hi Elliot,

On 01. 04. 2011 19:24, Elliot Finley wrote:

> I've been looking at Aida and I like what I see - as far as the actual
> framework goes.  Though I haven't been able to find any real
> documentation to get started.

Yes, this is Aida problem, I agree. Finding resources to improve
situation is a problem. Both time and personal. Any help is welcome and
if you are maybe willing to blog in parallel to your journey in Aida,
you are very welcome.

> I figured maybe it was so easy that all I
> had to do was go through the tutorial and I'd be well on my way.  The
> tutorial however has the right side of every long line truncated, so
> it's really not complete and I'm not sure which words are missing so I
> haven't gone through that either.

I don't see lines truncaded on my Firefox of tutorial
http://www.aidaweb.si/tutorial.html. How can you see them truncated?

> I'm not complaining.  I realize this is an open source project base on
> volunteer effort mostly done by a single person.  I'm merely pointing
> out that if you want Aida to take off like Seaside is starting to, then
> documentation is key.  The key to Seaside's growing exposure is due
> mostly to the fact that it is easily approachable because it has good
> documentation.

Completely agree! It could improve soon because we are just starting an
international Aida based project, so documentation will become more
important and there will probably be more resources.

Currently a nice fully ajaxified basic CRUD example is on work. And a
video or two are coming as well.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Re: Docs/Tutorial

Elliot Finley
Hi Janko,

> I figured maybe it was so easy that all I
> had to do was go through the tutorial and I'd be well on my way.  The
> tutorial however has the right side of every long line truncated, so
> it's really not complete and I'm not sure which words are missing so I
> haven't gone through that either.

I don't see lines truncaded on my Firefox of tutorial
http://www.aidaweb.si/tutorial.html. How can you see them truncated?

I've tried it (and again just now) in Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.  It looks exactly the same in all three and all three have truncated lines.  Every line that goes all the way to the right margin is truncated.  I've attached a screen snippet of section 4.1 (View methods).  I've highlighted the ends of all the truncated lines (6 of them).  It's the same throughout the tutorial, this is just an example.

I look forward to more examples/tutorials.  I think that Aida has the potential to be a great success!

Elliot

truncated.png (58K) Download Attachment

Re: Docs/Tutorial

Janko Mivšek
Hi Elliot,

Ops, I looked at the code truncation, not the normal text. First look at
website CSS didn't get results, so I'll look more tomorrow. Heck, how we
didn't notice that before? Thanks for reporting it!

Janko

On 03. 04. 2011 23:18, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Hi Elliot,
>
> Ops, I looked at the code truncation, not the normal text. First look at
> website CSS didn't get results, so I'll look more tomorrow. Heck, how we
> didn't notice that before? Thanks for reporting it!

Just FYI, this text cutout is now almost solved. It still somehow cut
half of character on right border, but this is not worth anymore time IMO.

Problem was in too wide code snippet, wich overflowed over the border
and causes all other text to overflow too.