Documentation system

Bram Neijt
Hi list users,

I was wondering if there are any documentation 'standards' out there.
I know the first comment of a defenition is used as documentation, but
most documentation systems have special markup, like '@example',
'@arg', etc.

Is there any standard of such sort?

Greetings,
  A. Bram Neijt

Re: Documentation system

Mike Anderson-3
Bram Neijt wrote:
> Hi list users,
>
> I was wondering if there are any documentation 'standards' out there.
> I know the first comment of a defenition is used as documentation, but
> most documentation systems have special markup, like '@example',
> '@arg', etc.
>
> Is there any standard of such sort?

Hi Bram,

The simple answer to your question is "no". May I ask if you are
generating your documentation from the source code or from an image?

Mike

Re: Documentation system

Bram Neijt
Hi Mike,

Currently I'm not really generating anything real. The first try I did
was using a smalltalk program which generates XML from runtime (using
inspect and general other information) and after that I processed it
into HTML using a Ruby script. (So that would be 'image')

Also I was thinking about using an already existing mark-up if none
existed (like what doxygen or javadoc uses) to generate more
documentation including examples etc.

I'm also thinking about building a Smalltalk community and online
documentation system which should be able to be parsed back into the
source when needed. (Any thoughts on that are very welcome, just open
another thread for it.)

As for smalltalk, I still have allot to learn and my first smalltalk
book is still weeks away from being delivered, so I'm just playing
around with it now.

Greetings,
  Bram