Documentation

Jimmie Houchin-5
I am looking at participating in the documentation if that is a good
area to plug in.

I do not necessarily have the expertise on the subjects, but I can bring
fresh eyes and the eyes of a native English speaker.

What is the best way to assist?

For example I am currently reading the Booklet-uFFI.

I have some questions and suggestions. How or to whom do I communicate
these?

If I modify the UnifiedFFI.pillar file, do I do the normal GitHub pull
requests? Or is this process handled via Iceberg?

Do I edit them manually in a normal text editor or is there a preferred
way within Pharo.

Is this process documented somewhere? Or do I need to document it? :)

And what about similar for the MOOC?

Any guidance or suggestions, and suggestions where you would like help
the most are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: Documentation

philippeback
pillar things:

fork and PR

Use https://github.com/cdlm/docker-texlive for generating artefacts like PDFs.

Edit in any text editor. I am using Vim with pillar syntax. There is some Emacs available but I do not use Emacs.

HTH
Phil

On Jul 26, 2017 22:58, "Jimmie Houchin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Herby Vojčík
Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> I am looking at participating in the documentation if that is a good
> area to plug in.

Pity there isn't someone like you for Amber. It's documentation is in
horrible state. (I don't know for Pharo's one :-) )

Herby

Re: Documentation

Herby Vojčík
Herby Vojčík wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>> I am looking at participating in the documentation if that is a good
>> area to plug in.
>
> Pity there isn't someone like you for Amber. It's documentation is in
*$##^, s/It's/Its/
> horrible state. (I don't know for Pharo's one :-) )
>
> Herby

Re: Documentation

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Jimmie,

I really like the impulse you bring and the recent discussion about
Beyond Live Coding... it is pretty timely precisely about a discussion
we were having with one friend about Python vs Pharo.

On the documentation front, I have created a interactive documentation
called Grafoscopio [1]. It follows a different path that Pillar and
leverage on existing solutions like Pandoc to convert to several format.
Also it tries to bring ideas from the interactive notebooks from
(Jupyter, Beaker, Zeppeling) and outlining worlds (Leo Editor, Org Mode)
to the Pharo world and, hopefully, new bring ideas also. I'm preparing a
new edition of Grafoscopio with suggestions for a paper send to the
Journal of Open Source Software [2], by  our own Serge Stinckwich, on
first week of August, and also we will have a re-release of the Data
Driven Journalist Handbook this weekend as a Grafoscopio document. So
stay tuned.

[1] http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/index.en.html
[2] http://joss.theoj.org/papers/c92ed13fa746bc681081f9b31678841b
[3] http://datajournalismhandbook.org/

If your interest is contributing to current documentation, Pillar and
GitHub are the current option and if you're interested in documentation
in general, and extended interactive documentation, checking Grafoscopio
could be interesting.

Cheers,

Offray

On 26/07/17 15:58, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> I am looking at participating in the documentation if that is a good
> area to plug in.
>
> I do not necessarily have the expertise on the subjects, but I can
> bring fresh eyes and the eyes of a native English speaker.
>
> What is the best way to assist?
>
> For example I am currently reading the Booklet-uFFI.
>
> I have some questions and suggestions. How or to whom do I communicate
> these?
>
> If I modify the UnifiedFFI.pillar file, do I do the normal GitHub pull
> requests? Or is this process handled via Iceberg?
>
> Do I edit them manually in a normal text editor or is there a
> preferred way within Pharo.
>
> Is this process documented somewhere? Or do I need to document it? :)
>
> And what about similar for the MOOC?
>
> Any guidance or suggestions, and suggestions where you would like help
> the most are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Jimmie

Re: Documentation

Jimmie Houchin-5

Thanks. That can get me started.

I can start learning and develop processes that work for me.

Thanks.

Jimmie

On 07/27/2017 03:02 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi jimmie

I would love to be a native english speaker because it would really
help me to produce high-level quality documentation. I decided that I
cannot do much about it so I write.
So if you can read the booklet and fix the english it would be already great.
Tx a lot.

BTW I think that with one hour per week you can really get an impact.

Stef