Does DabbleDB use a database?

John Treble

Does anyone know if DabbleDB uses a database at the back end?  Given the
speed of this application I'm inclined to believe that it's doesn't but I'm
not sure.  TIA.

John Treble
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Does DabbleDB use a database?

Avi  Bryant

On May 17, 2006, at 4:29 PM, John Treble wrote:

> Does anyone know if DabbleDB uses a database at the back end?
> Given the
> speed of this application I'm inclined to believe that it's doesn't
> but I'm
> not sure.  TIA.

It doesn't use a relational database, no.  And it does very
aggressively cache data in RAM while you're working with it (and
equally aggressively swap it out when you're not).

Avi

RE: Does DabbleDB use a database?

Ramon Leon
> On May 17, 2006, at 4:29 PM, John Treble wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know if DabbleDB uses a database at the back end?
> > Given the
> > speed of this application I'm inclined to believe that it's doesn't
> > but I'm not sure.  TIA.
>
> It doesn't use a relational database, no.  And it does very
> aggressively cache data in RAM while you're working with it
> (and equally aggressively swap it out when you're not).
>
> Avi

What database does it use?

Re: Does DabbleDB use a database?

Andrew Catton

On 17-May-06, at 9:14 AM, Ramon Leon wrote:

>> On May 17, 2006, at 4:29 PM, John Treble wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if DabbleDB uses a database at the back end?
>>> Given the
>>> speed of this application I'm inclined to believe that it's doesn't
>>> but I'm not sure.  TIA.
>>
>> It doesn't use a relational database, no.  And it does very
>> aggressively cache data in RAM while you're working with it
>> (and equally aggressively swap it out when you're not).
>>
>> Avi
>
> What database does it use?

Nothing third-party -- we've written all the transactional/
checkpointing/etc code for this ourselves, as nothing else did what
we needed.. (not surprising as Dabble has a bit of an odd profile).

Andrew

RE: Does DabbleDB use a database?

rwelch
I am not so sure that Dabble's profile is all that "odd" as you
put it. I think that persistence mechanism you guys have come up
with could be generally useful in a lot of scenarios. I for one
would very much like to understand the gory details of how you
went about attacking and solving the problem of persistence
in Dabble.

----------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-========oOo========-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=----------
mailto:[hidden email]                Phone:(607)770-3701
BAE SYSTEMS                     600 Main St Johnson City, NY 13790-1888
----------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-===================-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=----------

On 17-May-06, at 11:58 AM, Welch, Ronald P (US SSA) wrote:

> I am not so sure that Dabble's profile is all that "odd" as you
> put it. I think that persistence mechanism you guys have come up
> with could be generally useful in a lot of scenarios.

A few things make it odd IMO (you can of course judge how odd for
yourself):
- the need to be able to reconfigure the schema on the fly, with
existing data
- the fact that we're dealing with thousands of relatively small
independent data stores
- the very incremental UI (causing us to, for example, display
intermediate results as a query is built up rather than one result
for a complex query built in one step)

Most DBs, relational and OO, are optimized more for a relatively
static schema, and to be vertically scalable to allow one centralized
data store to service many clients.

> I for one
> would very much like to understand the gory details of how you
> went about attacking and solving the problem of persistence
> in Dabble.

Fair enough.. we'll of course need to figure out which implementation
details we want to publicly share, given we've joined this whole
cloak-and-dagger commercial product thing :P  It probably isn't all
that difficult to imagine the general approach we would take, but of
course there were a lot of gotchas we needed to work through along
the way in order to make it practical.

Cheers, Andrew

> ----------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-========oOo========-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> =----------
> mailto:[hidden email]                Phone:(607)
> 770-3701
> BAE SYSTEMS                     600 Main St Johnson City, NY
> 13790-1888
> ----------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-===================-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> =----------

======================

Andrew Catton
Smallthought Systems Inc.

RE: Does DabbleDB use a database?

Ramon Leon
> A few things make it odd IMO (you can of course judge how odd for
> yourself):
> - the need to be able to reconfigure the schema on the fly,
> with existing data

I'd wondered about how you implemented this.

> Fair enough.. we'll of course need to figure out which
> implementation details we want to publicly share, given we've
> joined this whole cloak-and-dagger commercial product thing
> :P  It probably isn't all that difficult to imagine the
> general approach we would take, but of course there were a
> lot of gotchas we needed to work through along the way in
> order to make it practical.
>
> Cheers, Andrew

I'm also interested in anything you feel like sharing, storing what is
essentially an adaptive object model is an interesting problem.  I'd
assumed you were using an existing OO database, I didn't think you'd
write a custom one.