Does Dolphin support Drag & Drop to other Windows Apps?

Me

Does Dolphin support Drag & Drop to other Windows Apps?

Me
Can I drag things, like a file from an explorer view (developed in
Dolphin) to a non-dolphin windows app? I haven't done too much with
COM and OLE. I just wanted to make sure that it was even possible
before I looked deeply into it. Thanks!

--chris

Re: Does Dolphin support Drag & Drop to other Windows Apps?

Steve Alan Waring
"Me" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Can I drag things, like a file from an explorer view (developed in
> Dolphin) to a non-dolphin windows app? I haven't done too much with
> COM and OLE. I just wanted to make sure that it was even possible
> before I looked deeply into it. Thanks!
>
> --chris

Hi chris,

It is possible, but how easy will depend on your application. Dolphin uses
its own internal framework for drag/drop between Dolphin windows. Depending
on the Window controls your application uses, you may find that they will
implement COM drag/drop for you.

For example, you can drag some text from a Dolphin Workspace (ie a
RichTextEdit)  into Wordpad. Similarly an Active-X control/container may
also act as a drop source. For an extreme example evaluate:

  WebBrowserShell show

You should find that you can drag/drop to a non-Dolphin window.

I believe that full support for COM Drag/Drop is possible. There is a
package which integrates COM drag/drop into Dolphin's internal framework at:

  http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/shell/index.html

This only supports drag/drop into Dolphin and allows you to access
files/urls etc dropped from other applications. It works by creating an
object that implements the IDropTarget interface. For drag/drop out of
Dolphin, I believe that you would need objects that implement IDropSource
and IDataObject. Possible, but probably not easy if you are new to both COM
and Dolphin.

Hope this helps,
Steve

==========
Steve Waring
[hidden email]
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/harbor/steve.html

Me

Re: Does Dolphin support Drag & Drop to other Windows Apps?

Me
Thanks! As long as it's possible, I'll figure it out. In fact, I
haven't played around too much with that link you gave me, but from
the description, that sample may even contain the code I need.

--chris