Does GC happen only during idle processing?

1 message Options

Does GC happen only during idle processing?

James Foster-3
I have some code that reads some objects from one file in one format, and
writes them to another file in another format. The code worked fine on small
files, but the image died without much explanation on a larger file.
Watching the memory usage in the processes tab of the Windows Task Manager
showed that Dolphin was going from ~15 MB to over 150 MB before the crash. I
put in a call to 'MemoryManager current collectGarbage' (or something
similar; this is from memory), and then when the code ran the image stayed
under 20 MB the entire time. I believe that some other dialects do a GC
prior to growing (allocating another large chunk of external memory).

James Foster
Fargo, North Dakota, USA