Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi,

Does anyone know if Seaside fileUpload works with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?  If so what do I need to do to use it?  If not, am I the only one who wants to upload files in a Seaside app, because to the best of my knowledge, it has never worked.

Lou

Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

John O'Keefe-3
Nope, not yet :-(

Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.  I assume (always dangerous) that if it was coming soon you would have said so.  I expect I am the only one asking for this feature, so that probably makes it a low priority.  I would point out that it is hard to tout VA Smalltalk - Seaside as a great web application development platform (which it is) but you can't upload files with it:-((

Lou

Aw: Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Marten Feldtmann-2
I think, that some people are urgently waiting for this feature :-),

Aw: Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

jtuchel
Hi Lou,

you're not alone.

I seem to remember John mentioned it's a bug in SST, not in the Seaside port. Not that this would make things any better ;-)

Joachim

Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Adriaan van Os-3
In the early days of VAStGoodies.com I used file upload for code submissions. I dropped it when the VAStGoodies Tools became available to import from and submit to VAStGoodies.com directly from the image.

The file upload was based on the class MultipartChunk from Squeak/Pharo and a some 'hacks' to make it work just enough for this purpose.

Cheers,
Adriaan.

Re: Aw: Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Joachim,

I'm sure it's not a Seaside problem, I forget where John told me the problem is, in SST or elsewhere.  I think it does have something to do with multi-part forms.  My guess is that the VAST web code was written before file upload and multi-part forms existed, so there is no support for them and no one ever went back and wrote it.  The history may be interesting but in the end we can't upload files with Seaside and probably not Web Connection either.

Lou

Re: Aw: Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Janko Mivšek-2
Hi guys,

Is maybe a time to think about porting the Swazoo Smalltalk web server
(http://www.swazoo.org) to VA?

Swazoo supports file upload, even streamed one for really big files.
Same for download. And it follows the newest web technologies like
HTML5 WebSocket protocol for so called real-time web apps.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Louis LaBrunda
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Joachim,
>
> I'm sure it's not a Seaside problem, I forget where John told me the problem
> is, in SST or elsewhere.  I think it does have something to do with
> multi-part forms.  My guess is that the VAST web code was written before
> file upload and multi-part forms existed, so there is no support for them
> and no one ever went back and wrote it.  The history may be interesting but
> in the end we can't upload files with Seaside and probably not Web
> Connection either.
> Lou

Re: Aw: Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Douglas Swartz
Hello Louis,

TotallyObjects has a free add-on to Web Connection for
handling multi-part form uploads. It is at:
http://www.totallyobjects.com/Tofree.htm. My former employer has used
it for many years upto and including VA 8.

Doug Swartz

Monday, June 6, 2011, 9:03:31 AM, you wrote:

> Hi Joachim,

> I'm sure it's not a Seaside problem, I forget where John told me
> the problem is, in SST or elsewhere.  I think it does have something
> to do with multi-part forms.  My guess is that the VAST web code was
> written before file upload and multi-part forms existed, so there is
> no support for them and no one ever went back and wrote it.  The
> history may be interesting but in the end we can't upload files with
> Seaside and probably not Web Connection either.

> Lou

Re: Aw: Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Janko,

Thanks, this sounds like the kind of thing Instantiations should at least take a look at.

Lou

Re: Aw: Re: Does Seaside fileUpload work with VA Smalltalk V8.0.3?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Doug,

Thanks, I will take a look, it may due until the real thing comes along.

Lou