Does VA Smalltalk 8.6.1 support Oracle 12 client

Does VA Smalltalk 8.6.1 support Oracle 12 client

Jan van de Sandt
Hello,

I'm trying to run our VASt application on a Windows server with a (32 bits) Oracle 12.1.0 client installation.

But our application crashes when it tries to login to Oracle. This happens during the OCILogin call in the method:

AbtOracle8DatabaseConnection>>#connectUsing: aDataSourceName id: aUserId pw: aPassword ifError: errorBlock

Does VA Smalltalk 8.6.1 support Oracle 12 client?

Kind regards,

Jan van de Sandt

Re: Does VA Smalltalk 8.6.1 support Oracle 12 client

Bob Brodd
Hi Jan,

We have not tested with Oracle 12 yet, but have also not heard any reports of any issues .  Are you running a 64 bit Windows server with the 32bit Oracle implementation installed?

Thanks,
Bob Brodd

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 7:33:06 AM UTC-4, Jan van de Sandt wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to run our VASt application on a Windows server with a (32 bits) Oracle 12.1.0 client installation.

But our application crashes when it tries to login to Oracle. This happens during the OCILogin call in the method:

AbtOracle8DatabaseConnection>>#connectUsing: aDataSourceName id: aUserId pw: aPassword ifError: errorBlock

Does VA Smalltalk 8.6.1 support Oracle 12 client?

Kind regards,

Jan van de Sandt

Re: Does VA Smalltalk 8.6.1 support Oracle 12 client

Jan van de Sandt
Hello Bob,

Yes, we are running our VA Smalltalk application on a 64 bit version of Windows Server 2012. With a 32 bits installation of the Oracle 12 client.

Jan.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Bob Brodd <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I do not have a 64-bit Windows server installed at the moment, but I did try using  Oracle Instantclient 12c on  Win7 32-bit  with 8.6.1 without any issues.  I will try it out on a 64-bit system and see if I get good result there too.

Bob

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Bob Brodd <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="99DlBERbEwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">bbr...@...> wrote:
[...]

Jan,

I finally managed to get the 32 bit Oracle Instantclient 12c to work on a Windows Server 2012 (x64) with VA Smalltalk 8.6.1/8.6.2 .  Apparently, the client code requires the Microsoft C++ Redistributable Package 2010 dll's , but only the 64bit versions are available.  Try installing the 32 bit version of the redistributable package from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999.  My initial errors were different from yours ( could not perform the ociinitialize call due to not being able to load the oci.dll) , but maybe this will also solve your issue as ociinitialize, ocilogon, etc.  calls are working for me now.

Let me know if this helps.

Bob Brodd

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 2:40:40 PM UTC-4, Bob Brodd wrote:
[...]

Thank you for looking into this. I will try out your proposed solution next week and let you know if if fixes our problem.

Jan.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Bob Brodd <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We installed the  Microsoft C++ Redistributable Package 2010 dll's on our Windows server but this did not fix the problem. A call to the oci.dll of Oracle Client 12c still causes the image to crash.

We decided to uninstall version 12 and use version 11 of the Oracle Client. Now everything works fine again.

Jan.