Does VA St 8.5 support drag of a file to a program window?

Does VA St 8.5 support drag of a file to a program window?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi,

I would like to be able to drag a file or its shortcut to a window or an object in the window and trigger an event linked to a method where I could get the file name (path...) and read the file.  I have used drag/drop before but within and between Smalltalk windows not to the outside world.  Can this be done and it so, what am I missing?

Lou

Re: Does VA St 8.5 support drag of a file to a program window?

jtuchel
I am trying to do exactly that: drag a file icon from the Windows Desktop to a Widget (WB Pro).

The code samples in the Programmer's Reference are not actually hepful. The snippets are more like "you could implement a method that returns the right stuff here" - but no helpful info that I could decode...

Re: Does VA St 8.5 support drag of a file to a program window?

jtuchel
So I got a tiny step further. The Programmer's reference speaks of target types STRING and BITMAP. But not of FileName.

I used Marten's snippets from another thread here and can now obtain the filename of a dropped file.

It is however, the old form (as Marten states): not a full path but these C:\MYPATH~1\MYTEXT~1.TXT thingies. So at least I got something and can work from here...

I am not in a position yet to explain what I'm doing, I can just extract the file names in an inspector... The code to get there is, say, confusing. You never do anything, just register callbacks and magically find somethin in the callData ... ;-) Don't ask questions ;-)))