Does Zodiac port work on 3.2.x ?

GLASS mailing list
Hi Dale,

Does your Zodiac port work on GemStone  3.2.x? I see little info in https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac

Anyway, I am trying myself to see if it works and it took me some time to realize i should be using `gs_master` rather than `master`. A little explanation on the README would be nice:

Metacello new
baseline: 'Zodiac';
repository: 'github://GsDevKit/zodiac:master/repository';
load.

While loading, I also had this popup with dependencies problems.

Even worst, I realized that what I wanted to use (ZdcSecureSMTPClient) is not there as it is a subclass of SMTPClient which is not in GemStone.

So...let me ask..assuming Zodiac should work in 3.2.x is there a way to send SMTP with SSL/TSL from inside GemStone (no tunneling)?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Does Zodiac port work on 3.2.x ?

GLASS mailing list

On 1/2/17 12:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
Hi Dale,

Does your Zodiac port work on GemStone  3.2.x? I see little info in https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac.
If you look at the baseline[1], it looks like Zodiac was only ported to GemStone 3.3.0 and beyond ... Looking at Issue #2, I see there were some bugs in the GemStone base, that were fixed in 3.3.0 - I left the bug open as some level of documentation as to the state of the port.

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac/blob/gs_master/repository/BaselineOfZodiac.package/BaselineOfZodiac.class/instance/baseline..st
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac/issues/2

Anyway, I am trying myself to see if it works and it took me some time to realize i should be using `gs_master` rather than `master`. A little explanation on the README would be nice:

Metacello new
baseline: 'Zodiac';
repository: 'github://GsDevKit/zodiac:master/repository';
load.

While loading, I also had this popup with dependencies problems.
Ah okay that should be changed ...

When you go to the github page, you come up in the gs_master branch and in 3.3.0 Zodiac is loaded into the GemStone 3.3.0 by default ...

The Baseline is the definitive source for which versions of GemStone are supported and the .travis.yml indicates which versions of GemStone the code is being tested against, but I guess I neglected to update the ReadMe ... sorry about that ...

[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac/blob/gs_master/.travis.yml

Even worst, I realized that what I wanted to use (ZdcSecureSMTPClient) is not there as it is a subclass of SMTPClient which is not in GemStone.

So...let me ask..assuming Zodiac should work in 3.2.x is there a way to send SMTP with SSL/TSL from inside GemStone (no tunneling)?

Zodiac does not work in 3.2.x and it doesn't look like ZdcSecureSMTPClient is installed in the image. The tests were passing[4], so that means there must not be any tests for the ZdcSecureSMTPClient class -- when I do a port all I have to go on is the test results and if tests are missing there is no way for me to know whether the classes are functional or not ...

Sven has a later commit to the github repo[5], but it doesn't look like there are any additional tests ... for the extras ... I assume that ZdcSecureSMTPClient could be ported and tests could be written - I guess one would need an ssl-based smtp server to test against and I assume that there aren't any of those readily available, so perhaps that's why there are no tests ...

I did the original work about a year ago[7] and I've just assumed that either either no one was using Zodiac or the port to 3.3.0 was sufficient ... I'd have to do a bit of research to find out if it is feasible to back-port the base level changes for SSL or not ... The last commit comment in Issue #2 - "Zodiac runs in GemStone 3.3 and beyond (no need for 3.2.x patches)" makes me wonder whether Zodiac can be ported to 3.2.x or not ...

Dale

[4] [https://travis-ci.org/GsDevKit/zodiac/jobs/131281204
[5] https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac/commit/011650448e4539e71e6053601222521c0a93b177
[6] https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac/commit/d06c2d6df818857871a6ce9f5eb85b657d33e841
[7] http://forum.world.st/Zodiac-will-be-available-for-GemStone-3-3-td4869114.html

Re: Does Zodiac port work on 3.2.x ?

GLASS mailing list

Mariano,

The bugfixes for 3.3.0 that  were needed to get Zodiac working[1] are covered by  internal bug 45873  "GsSecureSocket incompatibilities with GsSocket"). Bug 45873 is mostly image level fixes, but there is one critical patch to the vm code and it appears that the vm-level change has not been backported to 3.2.x and at this point I don't believe that we have any plans for a 3.2.16 release (we released 3.2.15 back in May).

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac/issues/2

On 1/2/17 8:52 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

[...]

Yes, I thought it was for 3.3 but then the commit description "Zodiac runs in GemStone 3.3 and beyond (no need for 3.2.x patches)" is what confused me.

OK, thanks for the clarification. Once I am able to upgrade to 3.3 I will see if I can write at least a test for SMTP secure client. The typical example I can think of is a created gmail account specific for that...

Thanks for the summary.